Ekblad makes good first impression at Panthers' development camp

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Since 2000, Erik Johnson would be the only one who wasn't NHL ready by whoever's decision. Does it matter how I did or didn't attempt to clarify* what I said? He wanted to go to school* Management might have deemed him not ready, still doesn't mean he surely couldn't have handled the job. Stupid side argument for you to dwell on, really.

DP and Fleury were oh most definitely ready, their teams sucked. Stamkos was ready, bad coaching. Mentioning them holds no water.

My statement is not "unequivocally" wrong lol. In this millennium, there has been ONE team that hasn't picked someone ready for opening night. >NOT SEVERAL, NOT EVEN TWO< Also, just so you know, several doesn't equal…TWO. Again, mentioning guys that were in fact ready doesn't deem what you said to be valid.

I stick by my original statement and you've only backed it by pointing out the last 7 years of NHL ready (forwards) being picked. No it's not a coincidence, but I would think if Tallon wants playoffs NOW, I'm almost certain he wouldn't pick someone he was sure he couldn't use right away. Dman or not, and thankfully this Dman seems ready.

you might want to get your facts straight, since Marc-Andre Fleury didn't play in the nhl as an 18 year old.

and if you think DiPietro was actually ready at 18, you clearly didn't watch hockey back then.

as has been mentioned before, just because someone played in the nhl at 18 doesn't mean they were ready for it.

i've listed several examples, if you choose to not accept them due to your own stubbornness is not my problem.

like i said. you're just blatantly, unequivocally wrong. we can move on now.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
you might want to get your facts straight, since Marc-Andre Fleury didn't play in the nhl as an 18 year old.

and if you think DiPietro was actually ready at 18, you clearly didn't watch hockey back then.

as has been mentioned before, just because someone played in the nhl at 18 doesn't mean they were ready for it.

i've listed several examples, if you choose to not accept them due to your own stubbornness is not my problem.

like i said. you're just blatantly, unequivocally wrong. we can move on now.

Checking facts:
Fleury immediately made his NHL debut in 2003–04 as the youngest goaltender in the league at 18 years old (three months less than the second-youngest, Rick DiPietro of the New York Islanders).[6] He appeared in his first NHL game on October 10, 2003, against the Los Angeles Kings, recording an impressive 46-save performance, which included a penalty shot save, in a 3–0 loss.[7] Fleury recorded his first NHL win in his very next start, on October 18, with 31 saves in a 4–3 win over the Detroit Red Wings.[8] His first NHL shutout came on October 30, in a 1–0 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks.[8]

Because you'd obviously know just as much about the following as the previous, I'll let you know I grew up as a NYR fan in the NY metro area, I watched most of DP (and Marty for that matter), esp. first games, as an unbiased goalie nut. I would argue that his team in front of him was more to blame for his being sent down after a number of games. I liked him. Are you from NY? Are you in a position to speak on how he looked positionally, aside from what you could read in the newspapers? I sure as hell am. I caught just about every *locally televised* Rangers Islanders and Devils games from 94-06.
I know more about them than I do of the Panthers of those years…then I never claimed otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Checking facts:
Fleury immediately made his NHL debut in 2003–04 as the youngest goaltender in the league at 18 years old (three months less than the second-youngest, Rick DiPietro of the New York Islanders).[6] He appeared in his first NHL game on October 10, 2003, against the Los Angeles Kings, recording an impressive 46-save performance, which included a penalty shot save, in a 3–0 loss.[7] Fleury recorded his first NHL win in his very next start, on October 18, with 31 saves in a 4–3 win over the Detroit Red Wings.[8] His first NHL shutout came on October 30, in a 1–0 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks.[8]

Because you'd obviously know just as much about the following as the previous, I'll let you know I grew up as a NYR fan in the NY metro area, I watched most of DP (and Marty for that matter), esp. first games, as an unbiased goalie nut. I would argue that his team in front of him was more to blame for his being sent down after a number of games. I liked him. Are you from NY? Are you in a position to speak on how he looked positionally, aside from what you could read in the newspapers? I sure as hell am. I caught just about every *locally televised* Rangers Islanders and Devils games from 94-06.
I know more about them than I do of the Panthers of those years…then I never claimed otherwise.

Sorry - saw that MAF played in the QMJHL and assumed he just started there. Regardless, he wasn't ready, or he wouldn't have been sent back.

DiPi was a disaster his rookie season. a .878 save % is terrible in any language.

the point remains, there's been several players who haven't been NHL ready picked #1 overall, especially players at these positions.

Bouwmeester was essentially a #1 pick too and clearly was not ready at 18 years old (we all know that)

just another example.

I think Ekblad will be on the opening night roster. but i'd temper my expectations if I were you. Seth Jones is a similar caliber prospect and while he showed his skills with some decent offensive numbers, he looked lost defensively.

I think Ekblad is a better two-way prospect, but I still expect him to have some peaks and pretty big valleys during his rookie year.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Enough with the he said/she said OT. Stay on topic or you'll be removed from the thread.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Sorry - saw that MAF played in the QMJHL and assumed he just started there. Regardless, he wasn't ready, or he wouldn't have been sent back.

DiPi was a disaster his rookie season. a .878 save % is terrible in any language.

the point remains, there's been several players who haven't been NHL ready picked #1 overall, especially players at these positions.

Bouwmeester was essentially a #1 pick too and clearly was not ready at 18 years old (we all know that)

just another example.

I think Ekblad will be on the opening night roster. but i'd temper my expectations if I were you. Seth Jones is a similar caliber prospect and while he showed his skills with some decent offensive numbers, he looked lost defensively.

I think Ekblad is a better two-way prospect, but I still expect him to have some peaks and pretty big valleys during his rookie year.

No way Ekblad is drafted by Tallon if he wasn't, at least in Tallon's mind, NHL ready. I fully expect the peaks to way outweigh the valleys.

The expectation is ALWAYS that your number 1 overall is NHL ready, IMHO. Its part of why he's a #1. That said, expectations aren't always met.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
No way Ekblad is drafted by Tallon if he wasn't, at least in Tallon's mind, NHL ready. I fully expect the peaks to way outweigh the valleys.

The expectation is ALWAYS that your number 1 overall is NHL ready, IMHO. Its part of why he's a #1. That said, expectations aren't always met.

That's really all i meant to say in first place.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
What are the chances Racine beats Ekblad for a spot? I heard he's really turned on another gear. If Matheson and Racine were both trying to make the club this upcoming season, how would that affect Ekblads opportunity to make the squad? Would Ekblad get dibs for being the 1OA? Is he our most NHL ready prospect right now? If not, who are the guy(s) (all positions) before him in your opinions?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
What are the chances Racine beats Ekblad for a spot? I heard he's really turned on another gear. If Matheson and Racine were both trying to make the club this upcoming season, how would that affect Ekblads opportunity to make the squad? Would Ekblad get dibs for being the 1OA? Is he our most NHL ready prospect right now? If not, who are the guy(s) (all positions) before him in your opinions?

Ekblad is definitely more ready than Racine or Matheson. Matheson is already committed to returning for his junior year anyway. Racine was just a pleasant surprise in development camp because he showed he's maybe 1-2 years away instead of 3-4 years away like some people may have previously thought.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Ekblad is definitely more ready than Racine or Matheson. Matheson is already committed to returning for his junior year anyway. Racine was just a pleasant surprise in development camp because he showed he's maybe 1-2 years away instead of 3-4 years away like some people may have previously thought.

Racine is probably second to Rocco on my most anxiously awaited list.

Petro too, but for some reason I'm running outta patience for him not to be a buster...

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
Racine is probably second to Rocco on my most anxiously awaited list.

Petro too, but for some reason I'm running outta patience for him not to be a buster...

I have Rocco and Matheson as most most awaited prospects right now.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
because ekblad was granted exceptional status, he's already played 3 years in juniors. most players play 2, get drafted, and either come up or go back to juniors for another year or 2. with ekblad he's played 3, thats already the equivalent of him going back for another year. playing 3 seasons in juniors and the fact he's physically and mentally mature, he'll make the team. we need D, mitchell will make a perfect partner for him on the 3rd, and he'll be playing in front of a great goalie duo, and playing on hopefully a better overall team than past prospects. he'll make it and he'll be fine. the only real issue is finding gudbranson a solid partner.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
because ekblad was granted exceptional status, he's already played 3 years in juniors. most players play 2, get drafted, and either come up or go back to juniors for another year or 2. with ekblad he's played 3, thats already the equivalent of him going back for another year. playing 3 seasons in juniors and the fact he's physically and mentally mature, he'll make the team. we need D, mitchell will make a perfect partner for him on the 3rd, and he'll be playing in front of a great goalie duo, and playing on hopefully a better overall team than past prospects. he'll make it and he'll be fine. the only real issue is finding gudbranson a solid partner.

Olsen.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I really do like and have high hopes for Petro tho, I feel bad for sayin that.

He's young, tough and exciting to watch. I like him too. I want to see our young guys take the team over. Guys like Kopecky and Flash give me a headache. I understand their roles with the team though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad