Player Discussion Eichel - What would he be worth?

A thought experiment: What would you pay Eichel to be on the Oilers?

• Total voters

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I know we don't want this guy on the Oilers and there is no cap space - but curious what would be the absolute most you'd pay him? Based on his time in Buffalo and now the short time in Vegas. Is he an imploding asset? Or just injured/recovering?

1651272249511.png

BTW - this graphic looks scary. But luckily $10,000,000 will be worth about $50 by the time 2026 rolls around.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's an odd question.

What would you pay the top line center when you're already paying two of them $21m annually?

You're building a competitive hockey team that requires depth. So the answer is nothing. He doesn't fit the structure.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's an odd question.

What would you pay the top line center when you're already paying two of them $21m annually?

You're building a competitive hockey team that requires depth. So the answer is nothing. He doesn't fit the structure.
Eichel is a support player, more of winger type I think. He seems to struggle to lead from the middle.

Reactions: BlackDogg

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
If Eichel is a center only, then you pay him as a third line center on this team. Is he a better option than Nuge? Possibly not being a head case. But either case that equates to <$6M.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Eichel is a support player, more of winger type I think. He seems to struggle to lead from the middle.
He has never played wing at any point in his career. He is currently making $10m a year because he was the primary offensive catalyst in Buffalo. It's the same role in Vegas.

You could technically say anyone is a 'support' player, but the reality is that he's an offensive driver. Probably a top five center when healthy. He's the type of player you build around.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He has never played wing at any point in his career. He is currently making $10m a year because he was the primary offensive catalyst in Buffalo. It's the same role in Vegas.

You could technically say anyone is a 'support' player, but the reality is that he's an offensive driver. Probably a top five center when healthy. He's the type of player you build around.
I guess, but don't you normally win with guys you can build around? Not championships necessarily, but like more then you lose in the games you play?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
He's a lot better than he showed this year. His circumstances were pretty unique and I have little doubt he'll return to being a point per game player next season.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I don't think we need him. We have very strong center depth. The absolute only benefit might be that you can move Drai back on McDavids wing but I don't necessarily think that gives the team a better chance to win.

Right now - if he were an RFA he'd probably be worth 7-8 mil still. When he's on his game he's probably worth his current contract. Guy needs a sports therapist or something though, I don't think he'd be great for the mojo in the locker room. I'd rather focus on resigning Yams/Jesse and Kane if he takes a sweet heart deal. I'm still hesitant to sign Kane long term for reasons outside his play on the ice. I personally think he goes to the highest bidder as it sits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad