Eichel vs Matthews

Who is the better 1C - Eichel vs Matthews

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
This poll was done last year and decided to revisit.

Eichel a year older same consistence with nearly 3X more penalties, playing on an inferior team. Matthews is a better Goal scorer playing significantly fewer games and a competitive team. PPG and Missed Games (approx 12 per season) are both comparable.

Which player would you choose?

GPG A PtsPIM
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Eichel 312117 176293116
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
Matthew 23912710823542
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I've said Matthews was ahead for basically the last 4 years but Eichel has closed the gap and at this point it's pretty even. It's so close that my opinion can and probably will shift a couple more times by the end of this year.

I guess I'll vote Eichel using the same logic as the above poster.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Clearly Eichel IMO. Matthews doesn't look great since signing his mammoth contract.

Yeah he's scored a good amount of points(Still fewer than Eichel of course), but he's a disaster defensively and puts in no effort. That's bad for sustainability IMO.

Mar 26, 2010
Auston, Eichel out played him last night though, probably the worst game I’ve seen Matthews play
Yeah, this really.

Both are top big centers in the NHL. Any given night, one of them may have the better game.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
On any given night this could go either way. Matthews scores goals which is extremely important in the NHL, but Eichel makes his teammates better than Matthews does which is important in a 1C.

Eichel is having a slightly better season this year so I'll vote him because there isnt a too close to call option

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
People forget Eichel started a bit slow. It took him four years to hit a PPG season. He's never scored 30 goals in a year. I really like Jack, but Matthews has been better so far.

He didn't though. This is a little like those ridiculous "Matthews hasn't topped 73 points" posts. He was 4 points off PPG his 2nd year and 3 points off his 3rd, and paced for at least 30 goals every year since his sophomore season. And it's not like there's an argument against pace when he's being compared to a guy who has also missed time. Eichel was 11th in the league in points per game in his 2nd season. Matthews has never been higher than 21st

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I just think Eichels' level right now as a complete offensive player is ahead of Matthews.

Truthfully - even though he is younger, I would say, career is Matthews thus far but peak performance right now goes to Eichel. Matthews' ability to consistently score as a center is amazing. And he's been a better two-way player (in his career) although I don't think you measure either guy by that standard...they aren't Bergeron or Barkov and they aren't supposed to be. But Eichel has been brilliant without a ton of help and is simply a better all-around playmaker.

So Eichel for me now, by a small but clear margin. But sure, ask again in 4 months and the response could be different. As an American hockey fan, I just hope they both keep growing and can join the likes Lafontaine, Modano and Kane as USA hockey legends.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He didn't though. This is a little like those ridiculous "Matthews hasn't topped 73 points" posts. He was 4 points off PPG his 2nd year and 3 points off his 3rd, and paced for at least 30 goals every year since his sophomore season. And it's not like there's an argument against pace when he's being compared to a guy who has also missed time. Eichel was 11th in the league in points per game in his 2nd season. Matthews has never been higher than 21st

I never realized he has finished that high in points per game, or maybe I just forgot but either way I would say it's pretty clear Matthews has been better for their entire careers so far, but right now I'm not so sure but I'll still say Matthews.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
A couple of years ago I was convinced Matthews was better and I think it was a popular opinion that he was. However, he hasn't improved much if it all since then while Eichel has. It seems like a very close call at this point.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Matthews has potential once he realizes that his days off are not days when hockey is to be played.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Matthews has potential once he realizes that his days off are not days when hockey is to be played.
Well you know the old saying about Matthews come playoffs,He thought they said layoffs and he doesn't bother showing up.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I never realized he has finished that high in points per game, or maybe I just forgot but either way I would say it's pretty clear Matthews has been better for their entire careers so far, but right now I'm not so sure but I'll still say Matthews.

Yea, I agree Matthews has been better so far, I was just taking issue with the idea Eichel has started slow.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Eichel got my vote but it’s no knock on Matthews. Matthews is the superior goal scorer but I think Eichel is the superior playmaker and his goal scoring is also pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad