EHM 07 - Part 10: Happy to stay at the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I wish EHM had a cycling style of offense to make. I'd be the Americans in that case. Get some good ol' fashioned grime, some board work, and instead of trying to organically create offense without centers, instead I would manufacture it. But alas...

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I wish EHM had a cycling style of offense to make. I'd be the Americans in that case. Get some good ol' fashioned grime, some board work, and instead of trying to organically create offense without centers, instead I would manufacture it. But alas...

Yeah that would be sick!

Hey, I think it was you who talked of doing a really defensive team and only allowing players that fit your system on the team. Would you ever consider making a "tutorial" of sorts to kind of show which kind of attributes you look for, if players have to be a certain size, how you organize your tactics? I've been saying for years I want to do a defensive style team but I can never figure out how to successfully do it.

I assume lots of good checkers/pokecheck/hitting type players and lots of board play?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
It's not an exact science. You just think the game logically though and piece it together. And then try to make adjustments for what the game doesn't "know"...

Off hand:

- Strong at center. I believe in the three-center model. The center is the forward with the most defensive responsibility in most systems. Strong two-way centermen are a must for me.

- I like to have a nice, mobile defense. Mobility, pokecheck, positioning. Strength and stamina too. When you look in a player search and go to attributes and select "defensive" strength and stamina are there, so the game tells you, right? Stamina is good because you get those long shifts in your own end sometimes, you get those tough changes in the 2nd period - when are the most goals scored in the NHL? Bingo. So you need to be able to finish shifts strong. Strength in front of the net to tie up, wall off, box out, be tidy near the crease.

- That's modern defending in a nutshell. Most goalies will stop the first shot, it's the ones after it that matter. A lot of teams (with the removal of the center line) choose to give lines and protect the rink within the rink. So allow the long shot and collapse now...even fundamentally horrendous goalies like Tim Thomas can notch exorbitant save percentages because the team will take care of you. The game isn't too different in that regard.

- Gotta be smart. Hockey sense is the key to all things. Smarts allows for a lot. It's the single most important trait any player can have. Anticipation is big for me.

- From then on, tactically, you want to do what makes sense, right? Don't necessarily be a "my way, or highway" coach (see: Tortorella in Vancouver), you have to adapt. Got a fast team? Got fast wingers that maybe aren't that great defensively or aren't that smart. Carl Hagelin, Tyler Kennedy, whatever...apply the pressure, tighten the gap, get the forecheck going. These guys like Kennedy, they are just disrupters...you wind them up and put them down and they go at the puck...no think, just go...got slower players? Be smart and passive. Reduce space and then put your enemy in the ground.

- You want to out-number. Even numbers or better favor defense. Out-numbering is a huge advantage. 1-2-2, 1-1-3 type of forecheck, you're tracking above the puck, you're getting back in the right way and you breakout together in transition...

- Turnovers are killers. Gotta be smart with the puck, make it easy to chip pucks out. Defensemen handedness on their strong side at ES. Wingers on their proper side. Varied center handedness so they can win faceoffs on either side of the ice (not that the game allows for this deployment really).

Note: Though, if you watch games, there are still unnerving things that happen. Guys just wander off in to oblivion, they miss obvious things, but over the long haul you get the right mix and the right tactics and your defensive stats go way up. You gotta tinker though. It's not like offense in the game where one size fits most, anyone can score in this game...defending properly is what ticks the game up to "intermediate" skill level, IMO. Challenge yourself to think the game, it's more fun that way for me at least.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
It's not an exact science. You just think the game logically though and piece it together. And then try to make adjustments for what the game doesn't "know"...

Off hand:

- Strong at center. I believe in the three-center model. The center is the forward with the most defensive responsibility in most systems. Strong two-way centermen are a must for me.

- I like to have a nice, mobile defense. Mobility, pokecheck, positioning. Strength and stamina too. When you look in a player search and go to attributes and select "defensive" strength and stamina are there, so the game tells you, right? Stamina is good because you get those long shifts in your own end sometimes, you get those tough changes in the 2nd period - when are the most goals scored in the NHL? Bingo. So you need to be able to finish shifts strong. Strength in front of the net to tie up, wall off, box out, be tidy near the crease.

- That's modern defending in a nutshell. Most goalies will stop the first shot, it's the ones after it that matter. A lot of teams (with the removal of the center line) choose to give lines and protect the rink within the rink. So allow the long shot and collapse now...even fundamentally horrendous goalies like Tim Thomas can notch exorbitant save percentages because the team will take care of you. The game isn't too different in that regard.

- Gotta be smart. Hockey sense is the key to all things. Smarts allows for a lot. It's the single most important trait any player can have. Anticipation is big for me.

- From then on, tactically, you want to do what makes sense, right? Don't necessarily be a "my way, or highway" coach (see: Tortorella in Vancouver), you have to adapt. Got a fast team? Got fast wingers that maybe aren't that great defensively or aren't that smart. Carl Hagelin, Tyler Kennedy, whatever...apply the pressure, tighten the gap, get the forecheck going. These guys like Kennedy, they are just disrupters...you wind them up and put them down and they go at the puck...no think, just go...got slower players? Be smart and passive. Reduce space and then put your enemy in the ground.

- You want to out-number. Even numbers or better favor defense. Out-numbering is a huge advantage. 1-2-2, 1-1-3 type of forecheck, you're tracking above the puck, you're getting back in the right way and you breakout together in transition...

- Turnovers are killers. Gotta be smart with the puck, make it easy to chip pucks out. Defensemen handedness on their strong side at ES. Wingers on their proper side. Varied center handedness so they can win faceoffs on either side of the ice (not that the game allows for this deployment really).

Note: Though, if you watch games, there are still unnerving things that happen. Guys just wander off in to oblivion, they miss obvious things, but over the long haul you get the right mix and the right tactics and your defensive stats go way up. You gotta tinker though. It's not like offense in the game where one size fits most, anyone can score in this game...defending properly is what ticks the game up to "intermediate" skill level, IMO. Challenge yourself to think the game, it's more fun that way for me at least.

I can't remember if you've posted about it before but it sounds like you must have studied coaching or have coached. I've never really played hockey in real life (was never into sports when I was younger). I guess I've tried to understand a lot more of the coaching and tactics about real hockey the last few years, but this really makes a lot of sense and should help.

I think the biggest thing is adjusting. Most of the time I just keep the same tactics for a full season (which works with a good offensive system, lets me win Cups and whatever) but stopping and looking at each opponent and changing tactics to fit that team would be a good challenge for myself, so I might try do that.

Thanks for taking the time! I look forward to trying something like this!

Oh and a couple questions, you said 3 center model? So you mean you only roll with 3 lines/3 centers? Or 3 have to be really good in those key stats. Also, have you done these tactics with the newer DBs where consistency is lower? I find a lot of guys put up 5s and 6s for ratings in the newer DBs if they're more defensive players that don't score as much.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
I can't remember if you've posted about it before but it sounds like you must have studied coaching or have coached. I've never really played hockey in real life (was never into sports when I was younger). I guess I've tried to understand a lot more of the coaching and tactics about real hockey the last few years, but this really makes a lot of sense and should help.

I think the biggest thing is adjusting. Most of the time I just keep the same tactics for a full season (which works with a good offensive system, lets me win Cups and whatever) but stopping and looking at each opponent and changing tactics to fit that team would be a good challenge for myself, so I might try do that.

Oh and a couple questions, you said 3 center model? So you mean you only roll with 3 lines/3 centers? Or 3 have to be really good in those key stats. Also, have you done these tactics with the newer DBs where consistency is lower? I find a lot of guys put up 5s and 6s for ratings in the newer DBs if they're more defensive players that don't score as much.

You can download tactics to use in the game. People have created good ones on the forums for EHM.

http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=86

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com

- Yes, I've been involved in coaching at various levels for the better part of a decade.

- Yeah, adjustments are good to have. You don't want to have too many different moving parts and switching what you do every third shift. That's confusing. It's ok to play your game if you believe in your game. But you also what to make minor adjustments to help account for things that your advanced scouting can tip you off on.

Example: For years, teams would dump pucks in Marc-Andre Fleury because of his hesitant puck playing and the Pens' defense lack of communication. So, you dump pucks in that he will be likely to try to handle. Unlike what you would do for Brodeur or Smith or Bishop.

A ton of tidbits exist for everyone. Your Winnipeg Jets fan it appears. So when Trouba-Stuart are out there, where do you want to dump the puck? Trouba's corner. "Why? He's the far superior player, that doesn't make sense." Correct. Cross-corner dump to Trouba's right side, weak side winger comes with speed so Trouba has to turn his back and make a quick play with the puck. You get a good lick on the big, young kid and he has to either throw it forward into your forecheck (unlikely) or reverse it to the less intelligent, less skilled, less mobile Mark Stuart. Let Mark Stuart handle the puck all day long, he's bound to eventually give it away, right?

- "3 center model" good question, sorry for not being more clear. I roll through four lines. If I had more control over the deployment of players, I'd probably have much different fourth line than is tradition and use it to take advantage of matchups. But, anyway, 3 center model is really just having super strength at center on all three lines. You look at Pittsburgh for five years: Crosby, Malkin, Staal. Two franchise centers and a second line center. That has a lot of advantages to it in some situations. I believe it's helpful in the game as well. I think center play is a big deal.

- Yes, I've used the new dbs and have had more success defensively because the offensive players aren't as strong, so they are easier to stop. They've done a really good job on scoring levels. The original formations of this game was very much a track meet unfortunately.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
- Yes, I've been involved in coaching at various levels for the better part of a decade.

- Yeah, adjustments are good to have. You don't want to have too many different moving parts and switching what you do every third shift. That's confusing. It's ok to play your game if you believe in your game. But you also what to make minor adjustments to help account for things that your advanced scouting can tip you off on.

Example: For years, teams would dump pucks in Marc-Andre Fleury because of his hesitant puck playing and the Pens' defense lack of communication. So, you dump pucks in that he will be likely to try to handle. Unlike what you would do for Brodeur or Smith or Bishop.

A ton of tidbits exist for everyone. Your Winnipeg Jets fan it appears. So when Trouba-Stuart are out there, where do you want to dump the puck? Trouba's corner. "Why? He's the far superior player, that doesn't make sense." Correct. Cross-corner dump to Trouba's right side, weak side winger comes with speed so Trouba has to turn his back and make a quick play with the puck. You get a good lick on the big, young kid and he has to either throw it forward into your forecheck (unlikely) or reverse it to the less intelligent, less skilled, less mobile Mark Stuart. Let Mark Stuart handle the puck all day long, he's bound to eventually give it away, right?

- "3 center model" good question, sorry for not being more clear. I roll through four lines. If I had more control over the deployment of players, I'd probably have much different fourth line than is tradition and use it to take advantage of matchups. But, anyway, 3 center model is really just having super strength at center on all three lines. You look at Pittsburgh for five years: Crosby, Malkin, Staal. Two franchise centers and a second line center. That has a lot of advantages to it in some situations. I believe it's helpful in the game as well. I think center play is a big deal.

- Yes, I've used the new dbs and have had more success defensively because the offensive players aren't as strong, so they are easier to stop. They've done a really good job on scoring levels. The original formations of this game was very much a track meet unfortunately.

Holy cow :amazed: wow. Okay, I figured you had to be a coach haha, you seem way more knowledgeable at all this than me. The goalie tip makes sense as does your point about Trouba/Stuart (and yes, Jets fan indeed :D).

I figured the 3 center model might have been that. I think that's a good real life model and it makes sense that it would be good in EHM. I'm now super excited to do try this. Not sure if I want to try the "all one nationality" or "defense team" or both.

And great point about the newer DBs. Not so many overpoweringly good offensive stars.

Thanks for all of this write up again. I'm sure it will help more than just me!

axepig

Jul 14, 2014
Guys, what's your opinion on enforcers? I usually roll with a 4th line winger who have 20 strenght, 20 hitting and 15 or above aggression with Encouraged fighting and those guys always seem to get good rating (over 7, compared to my other 4th liners which is usually ~6)

Also does tiredness really influence players? I've been playing with full intensity practice for a while and I don't see much difference than when I play with the default practices or even custom made ones

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Guys, what's your opinion on enforcers? I usually roll with a 4th line winger who have 20 strenght, 20 hitting and 15 or above aggression with Encouraged fighting and those guys always seem to get good rating (over 7, compared to my other 4th liners which is usually ~6)

Also does tiredness really influence players? I've been playing with full intensity practice for a while and I don't see much difference than when I play with the default practices or even custom made ones

I will usually play an enforcer in my first few years with a team (when they have one) and set him on encouraged to fight and watch him get at 5+ PIM a game :laugh: usually gets 7-8 ratings too. I don't play the 4th line a ton but enough to give the other guys some rest.

The practice thing, I will roll with an "off season" practice on the guys who can take it or will benefit from it (those with good potential). I just set them to rest after a game if they're tired then back to practice.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
If you're gonna roll an enforcer, he has to win fights. Your team will get a boost from a fight, but only if you win them. I usually keep my eye on the fights/fights won stats and if there's anyone that's winning 85%+ of their fights, I'll see if I can pick him up cheap and let him run roughshod over the league.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I once did a team that was completely Russian with all players speaking fluent Russian to see if I lure over the Russians that don't normally come over. It, predictably, had no effect...and the team was not very good overall either...

hahaha

Awesome that we're still getting mileage out of EHM in creative ways but I do think it is about time someone got a game out to take over.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I don't even want that anymore :laugh: I don't want to have to learn something new. NO CHANGE :rant:! ;)

The problem with EHM is that it is very easy once you know how it works.

Like I can't stop myself from building an almost perennial Cup winner in a short amount of time even if I limit how I acquire players etc.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
The problem with EHM is that it is very easy once you know how it works.

Like I can't stop myself from building an almost perennial Cup winner in a short amount of time even if I limit how I acquire players etc.

Yeah I'm the same way except I don't really play for a "challenge" although sometimes I will take weird challenges like the all one nationality thing or whatever. Try doing a defensive team like Mike talked about. I can always set up dynasties if I want high scoring all out offense but setting up a defensive team is harder and that's new for me.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I had almost finished the draft, one more 7th round pick to go, and I noticed I hadn't drafted a goalie yet. So I browsing a bit, there weren't a lot of good ones left, and I ended up selecting a goalie from Lithuania of all places. He played for some low level Russian team. Not a very conventional pick, but he had good stats (a couple of .930 SV% seasons), a strong physique, good determination/work rate and my scouts saw future backup potential, so why not.

Ended up signing him right after the draft, get him to work with some real coaches. Towards the beginning of the season I didn't really have a spot for him in the minors so I loaned him to Cornwall of the Central Hockey League, where he's done okay so far.

23iyw08.png

Then in december, he got called up for the Lithuania U20 team. They actually were in the WJC, apparantly the achieved promotion last year. However, not counting my goalie, there was just one player on their roster playing in North America (at Barrie of the OHL) so I thought my goalie was going to get destroyed :laugh: Well.. it turned out a bit different.

Opening round robin game:

111pdhh.png

2nd

21eanfc.png

3rd

2mmvn85.png

and final

2vjd46w.png

That's a 3-1 record with a finish ahead of USA and behind unbeaten Russia

Quarter Final:

2itngpk.png

Semis:

1idc08.png

By this time I was starting to believe they'd win the whole thing :laugh:
Canada in the final was just too much though, even though he had a great game again.

nwnbk1.png

Don't think I've ever seen anything like this. A team, basically without NHL (or even AHL) calibre prospects, making it all the way to the WJC final.

My goalie might be in the AHL or ECHL next season, I'm not sure yet. One thing though - if you have 18 or 19 year olds in the ECHL, can they still be called up for the WJC?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I just play defense. That's my challenge. It's no secret how to attack in this thing, but defense is a little different. That's my challenge and it's enjoyable. I don't make super teams either, I limit myself in various ways.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I just play defense. That's my challenge. It's no secret how to attack in this thing, but defense is a little different. That's my challenge and it's enjoyable. I don't make super teams either, I limit myself in various ways.

Yeah I've stopped using my wit to fleece other teams GMs. I won't sign guys to long term deals and then ship out guys that need raises. I'll either let them go, trade them for 1 for 1 type deals at the deadline or re-sign them and then have to ship off guys I might want to keep.

Within the game, you can challenge yourself and set rules to make more difficult.

Agreed with Richie, winning championships is easy :laugh: even winning 10 in a row is quite simple if you play all out offense. That's why I had so much fun when I created an all 20s player, to see if I could destroy Gretzky's records (5000 career points after it was all said and done).

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

What defensive tactics have you had some luck with?

Yeah I've stopped using my wit to fleece other teams GMs. I won't sign guys to long term deals and then ship out guys that need raises. I'll either let them go, trade them for 1 for 1 type deals at the deadline or re-sign them and then have to ship off guys I might want to keep.

Within the game, you can challenge yourself and set rules to make more difficult.

Agreed with Richie, winning championships is easy :laugh: even winning 10 in a row is quite simple if you play all out offense. That's why I had so much fun when I created an all 20s player, to see if I could destroy Gretzky's records (5000 career points after it was all said and done).

You definitely have to limit yourself in some ways or it is just too easy to stockpile tons of talent on your team and rip off the AI GMs haha

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
What defensive tactics have you had some luck with?

You definitely have to limit yourself in some ways or it is just too easy to stockpile tons of talent on your team and rip off the AI GMs haha

Read on the last couple pages, I got him to define some things about his defensive tactics. He gives some good tips.

I tried to do both that and the all one nationality thing but I think I need to start over and pick one or the other. I'll go with the defensive tactics and see if I can't over time go to one nationality but it's too hard to do both off the start :laugh:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I tried to do both that and the all one nationality thing but I think I need to start over and pick one or the other. I'll go with the defensive tactics and see if I can't over time go to one nationality but it's too hard to do both off the start :laugh:

That strikes me as a near impossibility, unless the nationality you chose was: Canadian.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
That strikes me as a near impossibility, unless the nationality you chose was: Canadian.

Yeah :laugh: I was gonna try do it with Americans on the Jets since there are a fair amount of them. I think what I'm going to do is take over the Blues and build around Backes and Petro/Bouw for a defensive team since the real life team is built for that somewhat.

member 30781

I used to play this game religiously. Does anyone know where to find a copy of it? It's impossible to find one for whatever reason. Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad