Player Discussion: Ehlers

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yes it is the Ehlers thread but its always Ehlers with you. You never call out other players in the top 6 other than him on a regular basis. I'm just trying to figure out why that is. You almost have a single minded focus on Ehlers play and a blindness of everyone else. I never see you calling out KFC, Scheifele, or Wheeler when he played on their threads and they've all played as bad or worse at times.
I love Ehlers, and I call out Connor's soft play and defense all the time

In fact, I've always said that I believe that Bones has him on the second line to drive it, not because he sees him as inferior to Connor

But around here, unless you're swinging on Nik's nutsack 24/7, you're "anti-Ehlers"

Maybe you can't understand the difference between me attempting to understand Bone's point of view and my personal opinion. That's your problem

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
marner PO PPG (2016 onward) 0.91 PPG vs RS PPG 1.11

ehlers PO PPG (2017 onward): 0.36 PPG vs RS PPG 0.79

i wish ehlers has had as big of a drop as marner
Marner is maybe a bad example. He's either at/above PPG in the playoffs or he pulls a Houdini

Andreas Ferrari

Dale is the GOAT!!!
Apr 4, 2015
WinnerPeg
My step-father was from Denmark and loved Nic. I bought my dad a Nic bobblehead that he kept next to his bed.
But I've been watching Nic in the playoffs since day 1 and he skates all over the ice but never accomplished anything. Four lousy goals in 36 games.
It's time to move on and trade Nic while he has some some value. One of our young prospects can fill in soon.
We could probably get a decent RD in return.
Or we can keep playing the same guys and hope for the best.
insane.jpg

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I didn't say anything about any other Jet. Make a comment on them in their thread and we can discuss them there. This is the Ehlers thread, so we're discussing Ehlers

Plenty of Jets have been shit. Ehlers is one of them

Marner is up there

i wasn't aware that poor play by one player is excused by bringing up the poor play of another
That’s the point, which are in agreement with.
Not many Jets other than Scheifele have ever played consistently well or produced in the playoffs.
Can’t single out Ehlers specifically like some like to.
Just pointing out others productivity in the playoffs isn’t the greatest.

Reactions: Huffer and hn777

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I love Ehlers. He is my favorite player on the Jets and has been for at least 3 years.

That said, unless we overhaul our roster and change into more of a speed and skill system going into the future (maybe we will with Lambert, Chibrikov and Salmonsson coming up) which will in large parts be depending on our future coach which will probably be Arniel and I don't expect much of a change anyhow, I think we sould trade Ehlers as long as we get good value out of him... which is this summer due to his contract.

I think it would be the best for both sides. I am convinced that in another system on another roster, Nik Ehlers is a PPG player. Imagine Nik on the Canes! They should be all over adding him to their team IMO. I think they'd be a match made in heaven. It's just not going to happen on the Jets and I think our sample size is comfortably big enough to be assured of that by now.

And for the record: I do think Nik Ehlers game isn't really very well suited to the playoffs and even in that PPG player scenario on a roster like the Canes I would expect him to be considerably slowed down once the playoff starts. There just isn't enough time and space to unfold his dynamic game because in order to play at that speed, doing the cuts and moves he successfully does in the regular season, on top of your skating abilites you need the hands AND vision of a true superstar. That's why players like McKinnon, McDavid or Bedard (who I think already shows that he is on that level) can do it no matter the situation and players like Mitch Marner or Nik Ehlers can't.

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
What would Ehlers be looking for on his next contract? ~$7MM aav? If so, move him this summer. We’ll need some ELCs soon if others are signed or traded for to fill a need.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
What would Ehlers be looking for on his next contract? ~$7MM aav? If so, move him this summer. We’ll need some ELCs soon if others are signed or traded for to fill a need.
Colorado is killing us in transition. If Ehlers is to be traded we need players that can skate.
Multiple skaters.
Size wasn't a deciding factor in this series. Something the GM should consider for next season.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Ehlers is a polarizing player. I'm not sure if he's re-signing in the summer or if Chevy will move him if he doesn't. And we don't know what that next contract number will look like.

The playoff scoring is on him, I don't think you can wipe that away. But IMO, we will miss him when he's no longer on the team and thriving somewhere else.

This was for game 3:

Some metrics after 3 game:

And this was for game 4:

Let's hope Nik can pot one tonight and help the Jets get a W.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Ehlers is a polarizing player. I'm not sure if he's re-signing in the summer or if Chevy will move him if he doesn't. And we don't know what that next contract number will look like.

The playoff scoring is on him, I don't think you can wipe that away. But IMO, we will miss him when he's no longer on the team and thriving somewhere else.

This was for game 3:

And this was for game 4:

Classic examples of a stats nerd being a stats nerd

I'm all for stats during the season but during the playoffs, the only results that matter are goals, points and wins. You have to find a way to get shit done

That goes for multiple Jets.. it's not Ehlers specific

• Haha
Reactions: hn777 and Orrrules

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Classic examples of a stats nerd being a stats nerd

I'm all for stats during the season but during the playoffs, the only results that matter are goals, points and wins. You have to find a way to get shit done

That goes for multiple Jets.. it's not Ehlers specific

Well, I said that his playoff numbers are on him and we need him to produce. He didn't have a good game 1 or 2.

He certainly needs to be better for the Jets to win. But he's nowhere near the top of the Jets problems in this series IMO.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

This was for game 3:

And this was for game 4:

Ill agree with anyone who says Ehlers was great if they also say Appleton was dominant…

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Well, I said that his playoff numbers are on him and we need him to produce. He didn't have a good game 1 or 2.

He certainly needs to be better for the Jets to win. But he's nowhere near the top of the Jets problems in this series IMO.
Yup... if Ehlers were the only problem the Jets had this post season, we'd likely be tied 2-2 or up 3-1

Reactions: Huffer

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Ehlers did have the sit on my arse play. Not complaining about him just pointing out he's one those guys that the stats look better than the actual results.

Reactions: Orrrules

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Ill agree with anyone who says Ehlers was great if they also say Appleton was dominant…

I don't think anyone is saying Ehlers has been great, just as no one is saying Appleton has been dominant. Just that the ratio of criticism to negative impact seems off IMO.

Yup... if Ehlers were the only problem the Jets had this post season, we'd likely be tied 2-2 or up 3-1

100% agree.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
How many years are we going to wait for him to produce in the playoffs?

Take those stats and shove them...here are some stats...4 goals and 9 assists in 39 games!!!

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I don't think anyone is saying Ehlers has been great, just as no one is saying Appleton has been dominant. Just that the ratio of criticism to negative impact seems off IMO.

100% agree.
Appleton averages .35 points per game regular season and .27 in the playoffs. Ehler's drop of is much, much steeper as @DRW204 has pointed out

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
again. Since you "stats guys" love Ehlers sooooo much...and hie looks so good on paper.... maybe you could cover the ice in paper before the game...because he's AWFUL.
turnover after turnover after turnover. always trying some stupid dangle or backhand pass that never gets through...I am done with him. time to move on.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Appleton averages .35 points per game regular season and .27 in the playoffs. Ehler's drop of is much, much steeper as @DRW204 has pointed out

I've never said that's not the case. Ehlers definitely needs to be better.

The ratio of criticism to negative impact of the Jets losing is my point.

Reactions: Buffdog

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I've never said that's not the case. Ehlers definitely needs to be better.

The ratio of criticism to negative impact of the Jets losing is my point.
Ehlers and Helle were two of the teams biggest difference makers in the regular season. Appleton was not. There's been a far bigger drop off from their standards comparatively.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Nikky needs some love tonight. After reading this thread, I'm switching out my Morrissey white jersey, for my Ehlers white and will enthusiastically cheer on all his points tonight.

Reactions: Jack7222

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad