Line Combos: EGG Line or GPG?

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Just a simple Poll for fun to see people's thoughts. I've read all the arguments. I'm really disappointed to see Eller's point streak come to an end. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite players on the team. Personally I think it was a boneheaded move to break up one of the hottest lines in the league when he could have easily just switched Pleky and Desharnais keeping the kid line in tact.

On one hand Pleky will teach Galchenyuk how to be an awesome 2-way player and cover for his mistakes on the other is Plekanec quick enough to keep up with the kids? I liked seeing the kids having fun and wanted to see what Pleky could do paired with Pacioretty. On the other hand the energy and enthusiasm of our kids could also be used to infect and revitalize our vets.

It's great that MT made adjustments but I feel the loss vs calgary rests solely on him for not making adjustments soon enough and over playing vets past their prime. He was really really quick to bench Eller after one game last year.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Simple response.

Its the Montreal Canadiens, not the EGG Canadiens.

The lines as played last night give the best opportunity for the Habs to have two solid scoring lines (and being defensively responsible) as opposed to having all the scoring from one line.

Eller was promoted by the way. He has now replaced DD in the Top 6. So I dont see why some people are complaining that he was removed from the Gallys line as being a negative.

MTLSandman*

Exactly, I've been seeing since the beginning of the season that people wanted Eller to play with patches.... Now that he is, it's a bonehead move by the coach. Lol

Some people are just put on this earth to complain aren't they....

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Simple response.

The lines as played last night give the best opportunity for the Habs to have two solid scoring lines (and being defensively responsible) as opposed to having all the scoring from one line.

Eller was promoted by the way. He has now replaced DD in the Top 6. So I dont see why some people are complaining that he was removed from the Gallys line as being a negative.

I agree the name on the front of the jersey always comes first before the one on the back but I watch sports to be excited and the kid line brought that. Don't you think that playing Patches along with Plekanec and Briere is a bonafide scoring line?

The reason breaking up the kid line was a boneheaded move is because it was an un-necessary risk. You know the old adage, if it ain't broke...

Last edited:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I agree the name on the front of the jersey always comes first before the one on the back but I watch sports to be excited and the kid line brought that. Don't you think that playing Patches along with Plekanec and Briere is a bonafide scoring line?

The reason breaking up the kid line was a boneheaded move is because it was an un-neccesary risk. You know the old adage, if it ain't broke...

Your last paragraph makes no sense.

Last night, Gallagher had a goal and an assist. So did Galchenyuk.

Pacioretty scored his first goal of the season and Briere scored his first point as a Hab.

Eller is now a top 6 Center and we won the game.

That does not look like a risky move. That looks like we will have two producing lines while moving DD and Gionta down to languish with Bourque.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
The kid line already was our top line. The score last night was 0-0 after the 1st period and then we were down 1-0. It took us a period and a half to get something going. That was the risk. Against a much better team we might have paid the price. Also Pacioretty scored on an empty net. Let's see him do that with vs a goalie lol. Just kidding. I'm fine either way as long as they keep winning. Bring on the 'Nucks! :yo:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
My main issue is not about eller moving up, it's about what to do with desharnais. Putting him with Gionta makes me nervous, and quite honestly, he does not fit anywhere right now, which is concerning for a 3 mil plus asset.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

The reason breaking up the kid line was a boneheaded move is because it was an un-necessary risk. You know the old adage, if it ain't broke...

un-necessary ? we had ONE scoring line, no other forward was doing anything and we were LOSING games...

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Spilling the EGG was neccessary to spread the intensity and the scoring touch. As a single line, I prefer the EGG but for the balance of the team, I prefer the GPG.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Simple response.

I don't think our lines looked good at all yesterday.

Splitting up good working lines to jump start others is not something I believe in. More often than not, it results in nothing. We've experienced it over and over again with Plekanec.

The EGG line as dominant. We have about 8 other players we can juggle with in order to find combinations.
DD with Gio and Bourque was bad. DD should be scratched and we should move DB at center. Briere is a lot more comfortable at center. Move him there making him and Plek your two other centers in the top 6, keep Bournival as your 4th one. Scratch DD, then you have Bourque, Gio, MaxPac, and Prust to switch around. I'd put MaxPac with Plek/Gio, push DB back to the 3rd line with Bourque and Prust.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't think our lines looked good at all yesterday.

Splitting up good working lines to jump start others is not something I believe in. More often than not, it results in nothing. We've experienced it over and over again with Plekanec.

The EGG line as dominant. We have about 8 other players we can juggle with in order to find combinations.
DD with Gio and Bourque was bad. DD should be scratched and we should move DB at center. Briere is a lot more comfortable at center. Move him there making him and Plek your two other centers in the top 6, keep Bournival as your 4th one. Scratch DD, then you have Bourque, Gio, MaxPac, and Prust to switch around. I'd put MaxPac with Plek/Gio, push DB back to the 3rd line with Bourque and Prust.

thing is, there's already 3 forwards you know dont work well together (DD - Patches - Briere), others like Moen - Prust - White - Parros before injury and Bournival you can't really count on for offense, then there's a RW on the decline and a LW who's playin well but doesnt get much points (like last season)...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
thing is, there's already 3 forwards you know dont work well together (DD - Patches - Briere), others like Moen - Prust - White - Parros before injury and Bournival you can't really count on for offense, then there's a RW on the decline and a LW who's playin well but doesnt get much points (like last season)...

I think DB would become a lot more effective as a center. He's just not a good winger. Very much like Eller isn't one either.
So I think removing one smurf, and keeping one at center would make our lines better.

DaHabMan

Sep 23, 2008
Lasalle
the reason i wasnt happy about eller last night was that yes, he was part of the top 6 but damnit it was as a winger...id rather have him at center and briere at wing.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Voted GPG but what I really want is:

Galchenyuk - Eller - Brière
Patches - DD - Gallgher
Bourque - Pleks - Gio

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
I would rather have the two lines that played in Edmonton. Instead of one good line and two medicore lines, we have two good lines and a third line that is on par with many other teams.

Plekanec finally has some wingers who aren't going to bring him down. He is oen of our best players and being put in a good position to succeed with the kids.

Pacioretty and Eller together was down right sexy in my opinion. They brought physicality and will open up space for the smaller Briere.

Desharnais, Bourque and Gionta were simply the worst forwards through 4 games and then can try to get their stuff together on the third line where they will hopefully be hungry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad