Eerie Comparison: '09-10 Hawks and '13-14 Leafs

LeafsFIO*

Brian Campbell = Jake Gardiner, heh, I could see it, but that Chicago team was loaded.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I'm looking at a fish. I can't stop watching this!

Unfortunately, I really do wish the current Leafs team was that Blackhawks cup-winning team. Sadly, we're still missing a key defence partner for Phaneuf, and a true #1 centre. If Tyler Bozak can miraculously transform in Jonathan Toews this year, I would be soooo happy.

Biggest weakness is the number one centre position, by far. Even if they had someone half-decent as a number one centre, like a David Krejci or Tomas Plekanec, they'd be immediate contenders, IMO. It's too bad they resigned Bozak and feel as though he has chemistry with Kessel. He's a liability out there more than an asset, regardless of how many faceoffs he wins.

Bring back Mats?

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Brian Campbell = Jake Gardiner, heh, I could see it, but that Chicago team was loaded.

Kane Kessel
Toews Lupul
Hossa JVR
Sharp Kadri
Bufygulin Phaneuf
Ladd Kulemin
Eager Clarkson
Keith Reilly
Campbell Gardiner
Bolland Bolland
Versteeg Raymond
Brouwer Bozak
Madden McClement
Seabrook Franson
Hjalmarsson Gunnarson
Niemi Bernier
Huet Reimer
Quenville Carlyle
Tallon Nonis
United Center Air Canada Centre
O' Hare Pearson

I could go on.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Kane Kessel
Toews Lupul
Hossa JVR
Sharp Kadri
Bufygulin Phaneuf
Ladd Kulemin
Eager Clarkson
Keith Reilly
Campbell Gardiner
Bolland Bolland
Versteeg Raymond
Brouwer Bozak
Madden McClement
Seabrook Franson
Hjalmarsson Gunnarson
Niemi Bernier
Huet Reimer
Quenville Carlyle
Tallon Nonis
O' Hare Pearson

I could go on.

Chicago Toronto

Am I doing it right?

wulfio*

well that settles that. we're destined to win 2 cups in the next 4 years.

Jun 27, 2005
I just want to give my support to the OP. A fun thread and he stuck around to support it.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
That team was loaded with depth, we're probably closer to 08-09'.

Ridiculous how many great players have come from that 09-10' team, Byflugien is a solid big d-man/winger, Ladd is a great top 6 forward, Versteeg etc.

I'd say we have solid depth but could use a boost or two, plus we definitely don't have Toews(although Kadri and Bolland are a great 2-3 punch)

leafstilldeath*

I wrote a post about this the other day in the thread about whether the Leafs were contenders, prior to the game against the Canes:

In the Chicago Blackhawks Cup winning season in 2009-2010, they were 5-1-1 after their first seven regular season games, good for 11 points out of a possible 14.

The Leafs so far this season are 6-1-0, good for 12 out of a possible 14 points.

That's 26-19 for the 2009-2010 Hawks vs their opponents, and 27-16 for the 2013-2014 Leafs vs theirs.

In the season prior to that, the Hawks made the playoffs for the first time since 2001-2002. Same situation for the Leafs last season.

Then, in their eight game, both teams lost (Leafs last night to the Canes, the Hawks to the Stars back in 09'). More crazier than that, the Hawks lost on a goal that was a routine dump in by a defenseman, which took a couple of strange bounces and got by their goalie at the time, Cristobal Huet. The game recap states:

"Robidas dumped the puck into the Chicago zone. After it hit the boards, it went sideways and then bounced twice before going right past goalie Cristobal Huet’s(notes) glove to make it 4-2."

The Hawks later scored one more late, making the Robidas dump-in goal the game winner. You can't make this stuff up. This is pretty freaky. Or I just have too much time on my hands. Or both.

:facepalm:

Really?

If Kessel = Kane
If JVR = Hossa
If Kadri = Versteeg
If Lupul = Sharp
If Franson=Seabrook

Is Bozak = Toews? OH HELL NO!
Is Phaneuf = Keith? OH HELL NO!

Who is the big buff in our system? Fraser? NO
Who is Versteeg in our system? Raymond? NO

That Hawks team was friggen loaded.

We are nowhere near it. The most important positions

1C and 1D (or a good 2D so dion can be the 1D we hope he can) are empty. Most importantly the 1C position is a JOKE!

With respect to all of the above I wouldnt say no to the Stanley Cup ;)

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
2p2h.jpg

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Thanks for the appreciation. As you can probably see, I'm just pointing out the eery similarities, and having fun with the player comparisons. It's nice it have these chats instead of the chats around the team's misery and despair.

I totally realize that Hawks team was very deep in talent, just like they are now, especially with guys like Ladd and Big Buff, who moved on to be core pieces in Atl/Wpg. Keith is world class, and the Leafs have nobody at his level. I'd take that depth and talent over this years Leafs' squad any day. The only edge I'd give the Leafs is in net. Cristobal Huet struggled and Niemi was decent, but he didn't seem to steal games, the Chicago team in front of him was solid enough to win with an average joe in net.

It's all cool. I do think our depth may be better then many of us thought though. We've been winning games this year with lots of AHL call ups and while the guys might not be household names they are getting it done.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Biggest weakness is the number one centre position, by far. Even if they had someone half-decent as a number one centre, like a David Krejci or Tomas Plekanec, they'd be immediate contenders, IMO. It's too bad they resigned Bozak and feel as though he has chemistry with Kessel. He's a liability out there more than an asset, regardless of how many faceoffs he wins.

Bring back Mats?

Take your hate to another thread. :shakehead

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Kane Kessel
Toews Lupul
Hossa JVR
Sharp Kadri
Bufygulin Phaneuf
Ladd Kulemin
Eager Clarkson
Keith Reilly
Campbell Gardiner
Bolland Bolland
Versteeg Raymond
Brouwer Bozak
Madden McClement
Seabrook Franson
Hjalmarsson Gunnarson
Niemi Bernier
Huet Reimer
Quenville Carlyle
Tallon Nonis
O' Hare Pearson

I could go on.

Do you have any criteria for these whatsoever? Some of these players are arguably similar, but others are just so far out there. Kind of ridiculous to have Keith-Reilly at this point, and I sure hope Clarkson is better than Eager. Also, I'm pretty sure Big Buff players forward most of that year.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
:facepalm:

Really?

If Kessel = Kane
If JVR = Hossa
If Kadri = Versteeg
If Lupul = Sharp
If Franson=Seabrook

Is Bozak = Toews? OH HELL NO!
Is Phaneuf = Keith? OH HELL NO!

Who is the big buff in our system? Fraser? NO
Who is Versteeg in our system? Raymond? NO

That Hawks team was friggen loaded.

We are nowhere near it. The most important positions

1C and 1D (or a good 2D so dion can be the 1D we hope he can) are empty. Most importantly the 1C position is a JOKE!

With respect to all of the above I wouldnt say no to the Stanley Cup ;)

in fairness that was probably one of the most loaded teams to win a cup, you practically had half of a second team within that team(I mean Ladd Versteeg are easily top 6 guys, Buff is definitely a top 4 defender, the goalie they got rid of are solid #1's)

most teams that have won it have had good/great depth, but that depth was on another level, it's no wonder they had to 'gut' the team in the off-season.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Do you have any criteria for these whatsoever? Some of these players are arguably similar, but others are just so far out there. Kind of ridiculous to have Keith-Reilly at this point, and I sure hope Clarkson is better than Eager. Also, I'm pretty sure Big Buff players forward most of that year.

No specific criteria, just perceived style and/or value to their respective team, in a very general sense. For sure Reilly-Keith is a stretch, I'm just giving the best comparison I can think of, and positions are not all perfectly lined up either. Lots of stretches in that list, just for fun really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad