Pre-Game Talk: EDMything Everywhere All OTT Once

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
"Ugh, I hate you now. We aren't friends anymore." :sarcasm:
I have Sirius radio and was driving the other day and listening to the 80’s channel. Casey Kasem was playing the hits of that year and told the story of the Karma Chameleon song . Boy George is calling out all the fake people who change . Lots of people like that so I like the song more now. Good harmonica

Reactions: Paralyzer

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ottawa has been on a bit of a spiral but they are still fighting for their lives. Wouldn’t be surprised if we get a similar test to the Buffalo game and that was certainly a tough one.

Must win.

Reactions: Vagabond

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Since we’re still talking about nickelback. They’ve always been cringe but let’s be honest, they have some songs that aren’t terrible. It’s not something I choose to listen to but some of their songs are great for intros, like in 06, actually a perfectly fitting song for that intro and gives me chills every single time I watch it.

I think they just reminded everyone of so many other bands back then, people were sick of bands like Creed and nickelback felt very similar to those bands and were kinda late to the game but they had a ton of success anyway.

Anyway.. there’s a game in a few hours

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Since we’re still talking about nickelback. They’ve always been cringe but let’s be honest, they have some songs that aren’t terrible. It’s not something I choose to listen to but some of their songs are great for intros, like in 06, actually a perfectly fitting song for that intro and gives me chills every single time I watch it.

I think they just reminded everyone of so many other bands back then, people were sick of bands like Creed and nickelback felt very similar to those bands and were kinda late to the game but they had a ton of success anyway.

Yup. All of this. Pretty sure there are nickelback “haters” but then a song comes on in the car and since no one is there with them, they jam out and bob their head :)

They’ve got some garbage songs for sure. Whatever that “rockstar” song is. Ughhh. That one is vomit worthy. But some classic rock tunes with good crunchy riffs. Chad the lead singer sometimes doesn’t come across too well either, so that doesn’t help the aura around the band.

I think what really kind of put them on the hate radar is their first really big hit “How you remind me” was overplayed more than any song I can think of at the time. It was played on almost every radio station it seems. People got sick of them lol

Like them or not. We should be proud of how well they’ve done as Canadian performers. It’s not easy to be famous on the world stage as a Canadian artist. They are few and far between

Moving on. Go oilers. Crush the sens. I want goaaaaalzzzz

Reactions: RegDunlop and bone

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023

I was never an even regular listener of them, but why did they get so much hate?

I listen to almost everything, besides country. Can't pay me to listen to it. Rock, hardcore rap, r&B, and even pop. Most of the songs I hear with rap, pop, etc are garbage. They just have a good beat to it. No substance to the lyrics.

I give Nickelback a big thumbs up for even making it in the industry and making a name for themselves.

I always have them in my mind from the Oilers game 6 intro i think. Last guy walking out to the rink is Pronger

Reactions: Ibanez

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Random Nickelback hate reminds me of the bacon craze of 2009 where everything was "Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!", because it was an 'in'. An easy way to relate to others while not having your own individual opinion in anyway.

I personally don't give two flying f***s about Nickelback, don't hate them and wouldn't say I enjoy their music or style of music.

But if anyone just outwardly says, "Nickelback sucks!" it's the same thing to me as, "Bacon on everything!" I'll immediately categorize that person into the, 'I don't have much of a personality' group.

Go Oilers.
The Nickelback thing I understood at first because they were so ridiculously overhyped for a bit that it was like this Bacon phenomenon you refer where it was super cool to love Nickelback which created the counter culture of hating Nickelback becoming cool and that has never really gone away. (Though I laughed like hell at the memes like "Remember - A vote for Harper is a vote for Nickelback" featuring a picture of Chad Kroeger with Stephen Harper)

For what it worth I was pretty sick of Nickelback for awhile, but at this point, they are what they are. A very succesful act that doesn't take themselves too seriously and have entertained plenty of people worldwide.

I don't like their music, but good for them and good for their fans if their music makes them feel good.

Creed was always vastly superior to Nickleback. People just got fed up of Scott Stapp being preachy and a bassist who got a little too high on himself and started to diss bands like Pearl Jam because of people comparing Creed to them. .

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
The Nickelback thing I understood at first because they were so ridiculously overhyped for a bit that it was like this Bacon phenomenon you refer where it was super cool to love Nickelback which created the counter culture of hating Nickelback becoming cool and that has never really gone away. (Though I laughed like hell at the memes like "Remember - A vote for Harper is a vote for Nickelback" featuring a picture of Chad Kroeger with Stephen Harper)

For what it worth I was pretty sick of Nickelback for awhile, but at this point, they are what they are. A very succesful act that doesn't take themselves too seriously and have entertained plenty of people worldwide.

I don't like their music, but good for them and good for their fans if their music makes them feel good.

Creed was always vastly superior to Nickleback. People just got fed up of Scott Stapp being preachy and a bassist who got a little too high on themselves.
Agreed 100%.

But if anyone makes a thread in relation to mumble rap, I'm ready to throw down words like 'talent-less' and 'horrible'.

Mumble rap is the beginnings of the fall of all civilatization. Come at me.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015

First concert I ever want to was Creed in grade 9....the opener was Nickelback hahaha

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I’m not huge on Nickelback, but they get a bad beat for some weird reasons. I think it’s just “cool” to say you don’t like Nickelback but they’ve put together many very successful albums.

The hatred for them almost feels like a meme in someways. For many years I’ve not been a huge fan but as I get older (close to 40) I hear their songs come on and think “hey this actually isn’t so bad”

I remember their performance at the closing ceremonies for the Vancouver olympics. They played “Burn it to the Ground”

Like them or hate them. That song is a banger and they were awesome that night
I prefer harder rock than Nickelback, and metal. Imo people who hate Nickelback are like me except they view Nickelback as a pretend version of the "real" stuff. It's like Nickelback is stealing precious attention from bands like Metallica or Pantera. Oddly enough Kruger was close friends with Dimebag btw.

Regardless, I think Nickelback is a good band but just not my thing. They are in the same spot as like Three Days Grace or Creed or whatever. They aren't trying to steal Tool fans

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
I prefer harder rock than Nickelback, and metal. Imo people who hate Nickelback are like me except they view Nickelback as a pretend version of the "real" stuff. It's like Nickelback is stealing precious attention from bands like Metallica or Pantera. Oddly enough Kruger was close friends with Dimebag btw.

Regardless, I think Nickelback is a good band but just not my thing. They are in the same spot as like Three Days Grace or Creed or whatever. They aren't trying to steal Tool fans
Totally!!!. Can not enjoy the music and still respect the band, the talent and success.

Puck drop soon. I’m oddly stoked for this one. I think we come out angry after the pants pooping on Saturday…

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Agreed 100%.

But if anyone makes a thread in relation to mumble rap, I'm ready to throw down words like 'talent-less' and 'horrible'.

Mumble rap is the beginnings of the fall of all civilatization. Come at me.
Sometimes I hear people say that but they used to like Bone Thugs back in the day, which is basically the same exact thing. There’s so many copycats that aren’t very talented but there’s also plenty of super talented mumble rappers too.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Kane and Tkachuk going head-to-head tonight and I expect fireworks

Once they engaged Kane was way to strong and Tkachuk pretty much turtled and didn't fire back until Kane slipped on the refs skate.

I highly doubt Tkachuk will accept another fight from Kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad