News Article: Edmonton Oilers: Wait and See at 2C

HometownHockey

Edmonton Oilers: Wait and See at 2C

2014_07_31_L.jpg

The Edmonton Oilers appear to have failed to fill the hole at second line centre, but maybe that isn't as big of a problem as we all think. What if the answer is a combination of patience and development.

READ MORE...
http://www.hometownhockey.ca/hockey/EDM0101.php

Ser Pudman

Nov 25, 2013
I agree that we likely won't see a big move before the start of the reason. Agree that the season hinges on the performance of guys like Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle. I just hope we aren't setting up Drai for disaster with minutes he can't handle. How quickly can MacT react if it is clear that our (lack of) centre depth is losing us games early on?

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
I think MacTs thought process is to see if anyone of Arco, Lander, Draisaitl or the wild card Yakimov can step up grab the middle six center positions, if only one of the four cuts it, they'll use Gordon as the #3 and Hendricks as #4 and hope we can stay afloat long enough to find a trade that makes sense.

I also think they're hoping that if the young centers above can't keep up at least two of Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse or even wild cards Simpson and Aulie shows enough for us to move Petry in a package for a center, Berglund who might get caught in a numbers game once the season starts for example. So basically the bet is that three out of our group of promising young Cs and Ds can look like real NHLers.

Also they probably hope RNH can take a step and become a somewhat adequate #1 C this year. Giving the rest of the Cs some actual insulation.

A lot of gambles but they make some sense and since we're nowhere near contention I don't mind it. I don't really see the point of going after so so centers on the decline just to fill a void, I think there's a point in seeing if the young guys can step up to the plate, Lander has mastered the AHL, Arcobello did look ok to start last season and tore it up when he returned to the AHL, Draisaitl is an elite prospect, Yakimov was a solid KHL player at 19 and has extreme size that might let him contritbute earlier than expected though an early NHL entrance might not be the best way to maximze his potential. It's not out of the question that we'll get enough out of them to stay somewhat competitive until Draisaitl is good enough to carry the load.

Us Oiler fans are sick of staying patient but our chances to eventually contend lives and dies with development from within. At this time I think we need to bet on this guys instead of giving up assets for doubtful solutions to a key position. If the team starts the season looking terrible again then I'd understand some desperation looking for trades and short term solutions as another disaster of a season might kill all confidence, joy and sense of winning of our young core. If the team however looks like they're taking a step in the right direction, which I think they will, new #2C or not, I'm perfectly happy with that.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
hard to not get ticked off reading an article about patience and development.
fans have tried being patient for years now, with little signs of development.
at least he acknowledged that at the very end of his column.

nice way of rationalizing the failure at the centre position for the last few years, I suppose.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

nice way of rationalizing the failure at the centre position for the last few years, I suppose.

No excuse for the past but what is happening right now is necessary for a few reasons.

Cap management. A successful team in a cap era needs to develop from within to offset their stars and free agent pick ups. The oilers are tapped out with the roster we have. Sad as that may be.

Quality developed from within. Players in our system need to be given the opportunity to play in the NHL. For short stints and long.

Arco, Lander, and Pitlick all need legit chances to make the transition to the NHL. All of them will have that chance this year but none of them guaranteed. Exactly as it should be. Very standard for most NHL teams.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

That's no excuse to do something silly like give up significant assets for a one year fix.

It doesn't matter if Brandon Sutter or Vinnie Lecavalier or Mark Arcobello is playing 2C. The Oilers isn't winning the Cup regardless.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Once the regular season is well under way, there will be players in other orgs on the outs and that's who we pounce on, assuming that our own centers aren't holding up of course.

Last edited:

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Didn't we always say Arco was better than Gags? He was for the most part (but how good was Gags, lol).

I'm hoping King Leon can jump right in and be the Flames Sean Monahan for us. (With less Flame).

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Didn't we always say Arco was better than Gags? He was for the most part (but how good was Gags, lol).

I'm hoping King Leon can jump right in and be the Flames Sean Monahan for us. (With less Flame).

A below average player being better than an even worse player doesn't really fix the problem.

Dallas upgraded from Eakin to Spezza. Anaheim from Bonino to Kesler, Hawks from Handzus to Richards, Blues from Berglund to Stastny, Oilers from Gagner to Arcobello.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Mark Arcobello wasn't a 2C last year, he isn't a 2C now, and he won't be a 2C next year or the year after.

MacT is more daft than Tambo if he thinks it'll work out.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Mark Arcobello wasn't a 2C last year, he isn't a 2C now, and he won't be a 2C next year or the year after.

When playing in the top 6 Arco was clearly a #2 center last year.

His time in the AHL last year at roughly 2 points a game technically means little in the NHL but when combined with what he has shown to date in the NHL is something Oilers fans should be at the very least cautiously optimistic about.

No one really knows how good Arco can be. He may be our second best player next year behind Hall. Highly unlikely but from his play to date not exactly out of the question either.

I think most teams would leave a roster spot open in their top 9 for what Arco has accomplished to date.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
With the commitment Draisaitl has shown towards training this off-season, I'm confident he can make an impact right away. One thing that gets overlooked is that I'm not sure we know how good this kid can be. He has never had any noteworthy wingers anywhere he has played, yet he's primarily a playmaker who has still managed to produce. Any noteworthy wingers in PA? Nope. German team? Nope. He will likely get a chance with two of Hall/Eberle/Perron/Yakupov. For me, that's reason enough to believe he can make an impact right away.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
You know it wouldn't be the end of the world if we had Perron-Gordon-Percell playing 2nd line minutes and gave Pouliot-DL-Yakupov third line minutes.

No, you're not going to get a ton of goals out of that 2nd line, but you're going to get some. Gordon wins face-offs, Perron gets stuff done in all zones and Purcell is a good set-up man.

That third line has a grinder, a big playmaker and a sniper. Call it a sheltered scoring line if you will. We could do a lot worse.

Now, DL is thrown into the fire and expected to anchor the second line, I'll lose my ****.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
That's no excuse to do something silly like give up significant assets for a one year fix.

It doesn't matter if Brandon Sutter or Vinnie Lecavalier or Mark Arcobello is playing 2C. The Oilers isn't winning the Cup regardless.

I agree with you. Just yet another article talking about patience grinds my gears a little bit.

I actually think MacT has been doing a good job fixing the failed Tambo rebuild.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
I would like to see. Pouliot -- LD -- Purcell for the first few games to get his feet wet. Playing with 2 vet players to cover up for his mistakes, yet also good enough wingers that they could produce some goals playing the third line minutes.

popo

Aug 9, 2005

I think it is only this message board that thinks he has a chance to be our 2C this season.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
So as fully expected every one and their dog is acting as if the 'rebuild clock' was set back to zero when MacT was hired and that we can just leave gaping holes on the roster because we are not going to contend for the cup next year.

The Oilers add starting two wingers, the oilers added two starting Dmen. They so far have left a edmonton street like pothole at Center.

Once again the issue is two fold, no proven 2nd line center which in of itself could we waited on to see if an 18 year old rookie or minor leaguer can fill, the problem is we have almost zero depth at center.

I can see the quotes now half way through the season as Boyd gordon is our #2 center, Arco of Nuge is injured and 18 year old Draisitl is -20. "How could Mact have known we would have injuries!?!?!?"

"MacT is doing a good job because he just traded a 2nd round pick and one of our defensive prospects to get a center and plug the hole!"

I just hope to heck they have a semi legit Plan B in place if plan A goes badly.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think it is only this message board that thinks he has a chance to be our 2C this season.

This is totally false. There are outside bloggers who have used facts that prove that Arcobello did a great job as a top six center last season. There are many average fans that acknowledge that Arcobello isn't ideal but also that he's deserved another shot because of his solid grity two way game last season.

It seems 90% of this board thinks Arcobello is a career AHLer, and ignore all the good things he did. They only remember how he looked when he was playing with Gazdic

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I would like to see. Pouliot -- LD -- Purcell for the first few games to get his feet wet. Playing with 2 vet players to cover up for his mistakes, yet also good enough wingers that they could produce some goals playing the third line minutes.

I would also like to see this, but as our 3rd line. If they can get some one who is challenging for a 2C role or is a bonafide 2C you can roll with this at the start of the season:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-2C-Yakupov
Pouliot-Leon-Purcell
Lander/Arco/Gazdic-Gordon-Hendricks

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Alas, this was a very poor team last season, and the outlook for 2014-15 in spite of some solid additions, is still very mild. Are they cup contenders? Not even close. Are they a Playoff team? Unlikely. Will they be playing important games beyond January? Very likely.

whoa. slow down there mr. optimism. Lets build on last year's performance, and shoot for playing important games beyond October.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I agree with you. Just yet another article talking about patience grinds my gears a little bit.

I actually think MacT has been doing a good job fixing the failed Tambo rebuild.

I agree. The guy writing the article sounds like he's on the payroll. I wonder if someone from the organization directly fed him the line "Trading for a second line centre in the NHL is basically impossible"

Sure, unless you are one of 29 other teams. If I remember correctly, Jarret Stoll was a second line center when they traded him away in the Visnovsky deal. Some others that come to mind include: Kesler, Stajan, Fisher, etc. etc. Trading for any position is impossible if a) you don't have the assets to make the deal, and b) if you're too timid to make a deal (Cheveldayoff syndrome).

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Laughable but not unexpected line of thinking around here and in the media.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This is totally false. There are outside bloggers who have used facts that prove that Arcobello did a great job as a top six center last season. There are many average fans that acknowledge that Arcobello isn't ideal but also that he's deserved another shot because of his solid grity two way game last season.

It seems 90% of this board thinks Arcobello is a career AHLer, and ignore all the good things he did. They only remember how he looked when he was playing with Gazdic

Really?

Calling somebody out on falsehood and then responding with the same?

I suggest your definition of facts and proof needs reworking. Or anybody else stating such limited game sample as facts or proof. Statistically the sample is insufficient to be able to make statistically valid conclusion. That is the fact. At this point there is no other.

Whether Arco sinks or swims as a topsix NHLer is unknown. I sure wouldn't bank on him being one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad