News Article: Edmonton Oilers should seriously consider trading Justin Schultz at the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'm not sure why people are so quick to forget or just want to push their 'agenda'.

Schultz was, and is, an offensive defenseman. Just going back the last two years he led the Oil in points for a D and was 40th overall in 2013 and 49th last year for defensemen.

That's on a lousy, close to last place in the NHL, Oiler team.

He is what he is..a fairly soft, offensive defenseman.

The problem some people seem to have is expecting him, or players like Eberle, to be more than what made them successful in the past. That rarely happens. With Schultz, it's clear that this season, at least before he got hurt, tried to do more of what people wanted on the defensive end of the puck. His back caused him problems and I suspect his frame just isn't conducive to that type of play. He's still trying (he's now caught between the styles)but the offence is now suffering because he isn't that all-around D and he's 'too soft' for some people.

If the Oilers had a properly made team, both these players would be great assets but the issue is, it isn't. The team is the wrong mixture of players and guys like Schultz and Eberle, especially, stand out if they're not producing every day.

I have no issue with trading either of these players ( I think people are wrong if they believe they hold little to no value around the league) but trade them for good assets that will fit the team...not just for little or nothing.

The problem is the makeup of the Oilers...not the makeup of these two players.

The league has gotten too good at blocking shots and clogging the middle of the ice or pressuring the puck carrier quickly.

A lot of oilers cannot deal with this. Schultz first and foremost cannot play his position because of that collective failure.

He should be better at creating shooting lanes with his skating but he panics and his shot too soft. If he ever gets better it will mostly be due to other players making better reads under pressure or opening up the middle ice.

He's bad enough defensively and at the point that you can upgrade him easily.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
No the real problem is Schultz struggling to put up a 20 point pace. He's one of the few guys that is suppose to help offensively. If he was 30-35 point it wouldn't be great, but would be manageable. If he was 35-45 points then he'd be re-signed no problem.

The fact is he is an offensive d-man getting all sorts of PP time and he's putting up the same points as our defensive rookie Nurse.

He's been a point producer in every league he's played in up to this season. As I said, since the beginning of this season, he's trying to change his game to be more of what people were whining about..He worked out, got stronger and tried focusing on the physical and defense. What happened? He hurt his back.
He's still trying to be better at the defensive end but I'm not sure he has it in him.

He'll go elsewhere and will be putting up bigger numbers than he has on the Oil...

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
The league has gotten too good at blocking shots and clogging the middle of the ice or pressuring the puck carrier quickly.

A lot of oilers cannot deal with this. Schultz first and foremost cannot play his position because of that collective failure.

He should be better at creating shooting lanes with his skating but he panics and his shot too soft. If he ever gets better it will mostly be due to other players making better reads under pressure or opening up the middle ice.

He's bad enough defensively and at the point that you can upgrade him easily.

Disagree.

The NHL didn't improve that much since last season..

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He's been a point producer in every league he's played in up to this season. As I said, since the beginning of this season, he's trying to change his game to be more of what people were whining about..He worked out, got stronger and tried focusing on the physical and defense. What happened? He hurt his back.
He's still trying to be better at the defensive end but I'm not sure he has it in him.

He'll go elsewhere and will be putting up bigger numbers than he has on the Oil...

He probably could and I'd be okay with it. We just don't have time to wait for him anymore. He'll get close to a month with Klef back in the lineup to impress before tdd

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
What the Oil need to compliment Schultz, especially on the PP, is a 'partner' that has a heavy accurate shot. His passes and 'wristers' would be fine in that situation.

If they had that player, on the PP, they need, and should, play the typical 2-3 combo.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well over the course of the past 5 years?

Is schultz's skillset becoming more useful or less?

I'd like to know what has changed with Schultz period. He doesn't rush the puck anymore, he doesn't shoot the puck anymore and I see he's back to just throwing his stick in the corners instead of going with the body.

ARI commentator said 99% of the time OEL takes a wrist shot so it is possible to be successful with a wrist shot. Yet here's Schultz 5th on the Oilers in d shots. His shots per game is barely more than Gryba.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
The question then would become do you want anything of marginal value or do you want to save your owner close to 2mil?

The Oilers need good, efficient puck transporters, and this sad bunch is so pathetic that a guy like Schultz gets pushed up far beyond where he should be. I think with the way Chiarelli seemingly sees the game, and how his previous teams have been built, it's a fair bet that Schultz will have played his last game by either the trade deadline or by the off-season.

The money is not the issue, because it will need to be reinvested in a good D-man regardless of how you acquire that player. Schultz was a free acquisition, with no assets expended beyond money. Getting anything back for him would be a plus at this point -- that being said, clearly they need someone who can get that puck up to the forwards in transition, which is much easier said than done in reality. Lots of teams are tight to the cap and honestly, with the CDN dollar tanking and cap uncertainties, I don't know how successful Chiarelli will be in bringing in that kind of player (without a severe hit to cap and/or player assets).

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I'd like to know what has changed with Schultz period. He doesn't rush the puck anymore, he doesn't shoot the puck anymore and I see he's back to just throwing his stick in the corners instead of going with the body.

ARI commentator said 99% of the time OEL takes a wrist shot so it is possible to be successful with a wrist shot. Yet here's Schultz 5th on the Oilers in d shots. His shots per game is barely more than Gryba.

Already said it..

Look back on his comments from the off-season. He was determined to do 'more' than he had previous and that included working on the defensive side.

He isn't that type of D. His 'trying' to play different has messed up what he's instincts have been since junior.

He's only 25, for a defenseman that's young, with 200 games, so he can turn it around and most likely will...just probably with another team.

I still think there's value there for the right team, especially one with the right mix and needs, but that probably isn't the Oil.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Already said it..

Look back on his comments from the off-season. He was determined to do 'more' than he had previous and that included working on the defensive side.

He isn't that type of D. His 'trying' to play different has messed up what he's instincts have been since junior.

He's only 25, for a defenseman that's young, with 200 games, so he can turn it around and most likely will...just probably with another team.

I still think there's value there for the right team, especially one with the right mix and needs, but that probably isn't the Oil.

I think you are right and what makes it so is that he wont be signing at anywhere near what the Oilers would have to pay to keep his rights. Somebody will take a shot on him and if they have a better top pairing that can shelter him and a solid partner he probably will turn into what we hoped he could be. He will have to sign for one year around $2 million.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

He is just not quick enough.

He looks like a good skater but he doesn't do much pivoting or east-west shimmies. He's only good coming into the high slot after all hell has broken loose.

That is certainly a skill but somewhat pointless for the current squad.

He's a good Passer too but telegraphs to high-hell.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
He stares in amazement as the puck goes up, Does nothing to stop Namestnikov , then is surprised by the result..

M8etRIU.gif

And why does Nilsson, reach into the net, to try and retrieve the puck..

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He stares in amazement as the puck goes up, Does nothing to stop Namestnikov , then is surprised by the result..

M8etRIU.gif

And why does Nilsson, reach into the net, to try and retrieve the puck..
How was that possibly ruled a goal in the first place.

The Tampa players blade hits the top of the ****ing crossbar on its way down after it's made contact with the puck.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
geez guys, what's the point of bashing Schultz yet again? Really. The only reason I defend the guy is because his bashers are so over the top it's really quite sad.

And btw, we are a better team with Schultz than without. If not, McLellan wouldn't be playing him. He really wouldn't. And I'll say this yet again to make myself clear: I would love for us to get a replacement if we could. Just not some waiver wire fodder or AHL player.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007

The Tampa players blade hits the top of the ****ing crossbar on its way down after it's made contact with the puck.

Yeap. UN******ing believable!!! The integrity of this league is progressively getting worse and worse evrey year in trying to help out some of the dead US markets and of course Tinsletown, they need Tinsiltown in the running. A joke of a league , seriously

Bangers

May 31, 2006
The problem with Schultz is that he's an RFA at the end of the year and the amount the team would need to spend to qualify him is massively disproportionate to his contributions on the ice.

If he goes on to do well with another team? Good for him. It is good for both sides if the Oilers spend that money on a player that will be a better fit for the team.

And no, he is nothing like Petry. Petry was a legit 2nd pairing defenseman who had to play too many minutes; Schultz is a bottom pairing offensive defenseman with back problems that doesn't contribute enough offense.

Gambl0r83*

Drouin suspended for ditching his AHL team. This kid has got some nerve. I like it
Schultz+ for Drouin
He killed his trade value with this stint which makes Justin and parts a fair trade.
Then trade for Hamonic.

We now have 2 players that wanted out of their organization and into the Oiler curse trainwreck.
After one season, they'll both wonder why the hell they wanted out of the Big Apple and Sunny Florida and into the frozen winter hell that is Oil Country.

Karma served

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
Yeap. UN******ing believable!!! The integrity of this league is progressively getting worse and worse evrey year in trying to help out some of the dead US markets and of course Tinsletown, they need Tinsiltown in the running. A joke of a league , seriously

And then the refs refused to talk to McLellan after the call.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..

The blade of the stick, not the shaft. made contact with the puck, well below the crossbar..

This is one of the most bizarre goals in NHL history....

Last edited:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

how is it even possible to score from behind the net over top of the crossbar without it being a high stick?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The problem with Schultz is that he's an RFA at the end of the year and the amount the team would need to spend to qualify him is massively disproportionate to his contributions on the ice.

If he goes on to do well with another team? Good for him. It is good for both sides if the Oilers spend that money on a player that will be a better fit for the team.

And no, he is nothing like Petry. Petry was a legit 2nd pairing defenseman who had to play too many minutes; Schultz is a bottom pairing offensive defenseman with back problems that doesn't contribute enough offense.

If you align up their ages, Petry and Schultz is a decent comparison. People forget how awful Petry was in his early twenties. I was defending Petry a lot back then, and most people were bashing the tar out of him. I did the same with Gagner too. So it's not that I'm so smart that I see players who will be great. I just think that we should have a lot more patience with young players like Schultz because we are seeing them at their absolute worst right now.

But I do get that the cap is rapidly diminishing around us, so walking away from Schultz could be a necessity. We might need to go UFA hunting, and so we might need all that space saved by Nikitin+Scrivens+Purcell etc cap hits coming off the books.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
The blade of the stick, not the shaft. made contact with the puck, well below the crossbar..

This is one of the most bizarre goals in NHL history....

The blade of the stick made contact with the puck over the crossbar, that's it and that's all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad