News Article: Edmonton Oilers should seriously consider trading Justin Schultz at the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
He stares in amazement as the puck goes up, Does nothing to stop Namestnikov , then is surprised by the result..

M8etRIU.gif

And why does Nilsson, reach into the net, to try and retrieve the puck..

lol how the **** is that even a goal? His stick is way above the crossbar? Does that rule just not exist anymore or something? Why can't a coach make a coaches challenge on that?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
lol how the **** is that even a goal? His stick is way above the crossbar? Does that rule just not exist anymore or something? Why can't a coach make a coaches challenge on that?

Pretty sure Todd tried to attempt a coaches challenge but the damn refs ignored him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

they did review it. The review took maybe 30 seconds, and they said that Namestikov never even touched it. Later they changed the goal to Namestikov. So they just totally botched the review. However, they later said that Namestikov likely made contact below the bar. That is possible, but it's a totally lie that that was the reason. They never even checked for that.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
they did review it. The review took maybe 30 seconds, and they said that Namestikov never even touched it. Later they changed the goal to Namestikov. So they just totally botched the review. However, they later said that Namestikov likely made contact below the bar. That is possible, but it's a totally lie that that was the reason. They never even checked for that.

They reviewed it quick as you can say "oh it's the oilers, good goal".
;)

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
There should be no discussion of trading Schultz or not signing him unless we get a RHD back. Need to improve the defense not make it worse by losing Schultz. Need to pair him with a good defensemen not an average defensemen and he will start to shine. Schultz isn't the problem. It's where he is being played is the problem. Should be lower in the order.

He would not be a problem by making less than 2M a year

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Sure..like Petry right?

Petry is a second pairing Dman that was asked to play top pairing minutes and looked out of place doing it.

Justin Schultz is worse than many of the AHL call ups (Davidson and Nurse already look better) and can single handedly lose the Oilers games. It's not a good comparison.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
The claim of Adam Clendening seems to be a sign that Justin Schultz has found a new home. I hope he is a part of package that brings top pairing D to Edmonton

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Petry is a second pairing Dman that was asked to play top pairing minutes and looked out of place doing it.

Justin Schultz is worse than many of the AHL call ups (Davidson and Nurse already look better) and can single handedly lose the Oilers games. It's not a good comparison.

I feel for Schultz because the one person to blame is his agent. The Ducks new he wasn't ready and wasn't yet ready to break the NHL club.

This is what the problem with owners/agents (which I guarantee Katz has a lot of involvement), but most scouts, coaches, probably say lets take a pass, but because it's essentially a free market to claim someone they go well lets try get them. Then the bidding starts, the value is elevated, and what your left with is junk.

The funny thing is that (you use this tactic in securities analysis) if everyone is going for something it doesn't increase it's value, it's value is reflective already in what it is - meaning Schultz was extremely overrated but much like Eakins Mact looked like he was finding a diamond in the rough. It's sad for the fact that the kid was playing in North America and any scout out there could have told him what he is worth.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I wouldn't underestimate our collective ability on the boards here to complain and moan about any player in the org (no matter how minor their role) :).

Saying that, I don't think many of us have very high expectations for Clendening at all... so anything he provides at the NHL level... even a Brad Hunt level of "success" would be sufficient to make this waiver pickup "worth it".

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Auto correct gets me into more trouble then my natural bad spell. Take the word ducking. I am not DUCKING. I am saying ****ing and every so often auto correct kicks in and changed a certain letter gets changed to D and get accused of circumnavigatING the censer here. Why autocorrelation made ING capital is beyond me. I may not be tech savey but even by my standards... my phone is out to get me some days in how it gets me into trouble

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I feel for Schultz because the one person to blame is his agent. The Ducks new he wasn't ready and wasn't yet ready to break the NHL club.

This is what the problem with owners/agents (which I guarantee Katz has a lot of involvement), but most scouts, coaches, probably say lets take a pass, but because it's essentially a free market to claim someone they go well lets try get them. Then the bidding starts, the value is elevated, and what your left with is junk.

The funny thing is that (you use this tactic in securities analysis) if everyone is going for something it doesn't increase it's value, it's value is reflective already in what it is - meaning Schultz was extremely overrated but much like Eakins Mact looked like he was finding a diamond in the rough. It's sad for the fact that the kid was playing in North America and any scout out there could have told him what he is worth.

To be fair, how could you say Schultz wasn't ready? He signed here as a 21(?) year old, and dominated in the AHL, and had a strong rookie season.

I'd happily argue that rookie Schultz was far better than what we see now.

He was ready, but the blame goes all-round for his regression. He seemingly hasn't pushed himself to continue to get better, and the team never held him accountable for it, nor did they seem to have a development plan for him.

The other aspect is collage players can be hard to predict. Thius team wanted to believe they had a DeKeyser, but in fact it was a Matt Gilroy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad