Edmonton Oilers Regret Trading Tobias Reider

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
We also noted that Kessy had 46 goals in 253 career major junior games at the time of the trade, while Rieder once scored 42 goals in a single major junior season.

It’s a scoring difference that holds true this season as well. Kessy has six points total in 42 games in his rookie campaign at the American League level; Rieder managed to score six points in his first six games in the same league. On the other side of the equation, Kessy has 65 penalty minutes to Rieder’s four.

Chris Roy, who covers Phoenix’s AHL affiliate for the Maine Hockey Journal, made it clear to*the SBNation website Five for Howling*that he believes the Coyotes won the trade in a landslide:

"I think fans should be on the lookout for rookie Tobias Rieder as well. He’s been outstanding this season. In 31 games, he has 12 goals, eight assists for 20 points and is currently fourth in team scoring. Rieder was acquired in a trade last March from the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for Kale Kessy and it’s easy to see who won that trade. Rieder was an assistant captain for his junior team, the Kitchener Rangers, and was an assistant captain for the German U20 Junior National team in his two tournament appearances. He’s solid on character, and is offensively gifted. Fans should watch for Rieder to climb depth chart over the next several months."

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/02/12/should-the-edmonton-oilers-regret-moving-tobias-rieder/

I know a lot of you were pretty upset to lose Kessy, i was a little sour myself, but since day one I believed we still won this trade.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Reider is a wildcard, along with Lessio. From what I've seen I can certainly echo other comments that he has a Vrbata-esque game.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I wasn't really upset when we traded Kessy, to be honest.

Basically my thinking is that best case scenario with Kessy is that he could have been an excellent 4th. line energy forward and a hell of a fighter for us in the NHL, but the case scenario with Rieder is that he has scoring line upside at the NHL level (I'm not saying he's a sure thing by any means).

I'd rather gamble on a player of the latter's caliber than the former if they're both a question mark to ever make the big league, and especially so when you consider it's much easier to find an energy player through trade or free agency, than it is to find a scoring forward.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I don't think Lessio is a wildcard at all, he'll at lest carve out a 3rd line role for himself somewhere.

Wildcard as in I meant we don't know really know what his offensive upside is. Yes, the development of a defensive game should mean he'll be a bottom 6 player at some point.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
If Reider even turns out to be vrbata-lite I will be a happy camper. 4th line energy guys are a dime a dozen, scorers aren't.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I've never considered Rieder to be of any more value to us than Andy Miele. I now see he has 2" and 10 lbs on Miele. He also hit the AHL at a younger age. I hope he keeps improving and turns himself into an NHL scorer.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Reider is developing nicely. Had a really good year in Portland. We need more positive news from our AHL team.

Pat Paeplow

May 16, 2013
It says he good defensively and good on the PK, I'd welcome the idea of putting him on the 4th line to replace Kyle Chipchura (as long as we add some toughness elsewhere.)

Personally, I feel Rieder's development would benefit more being in Portland on a top line getting a steady dose of PP minutes as opposed to being deployed in an energy role in the NHL. The guy is definitely a natural goal scorer, one of those players that materializes in the right place at the right time for a tap in.

If he's developed right, he could be a legit top-6 NHLer, in my opinion. As an added bonus, bringing players like him along patiently will yield a more competitive team in Portland. I think it's somewhat important for the organization to ice a competitive AHL affiliate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad