Speculation: Edmonton Oilers memorabilia

MPStoEberletoHall*

So I'm looking at adding to my "man cave". I already have quite a few great pieces, and I'm looking to add quite a bit more.

I live in Manitoba (just outside of Winnipeg) so it's pretty tough to find any stores that have what I'm looking for around here.

Just curious if anyone knows any stores online that have Edmonton Oiler items? I've been looking but I'm not having much luck.

Also, if anyone has any advice or suggestions on how to build an impressive man cave it would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I know the Oilers have online auctions every now and then. Any word on when the next one would be? Curious if they will be selling items from the arena(seats hopefully).

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
So I'm looking at adding to my "man cave". I already have quite a few great pieces, and I'm looking to add quite a bit more.

I live in Manitoba (just outside of Winnipeg) so it's pretty tough to find any stores that have what I'm looking for around here.

Just curious if anyone knows any stores online that have Edmonton Oiler items? I've been looking but I'm not having much luck.

Also, if anyone has any advice or suggestions on how to build an impressive man cave it would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I know the Oilers have online auctions every now and then. Any word on when the next one would be? Curious if they will be selling items from the arena(seats hopefully).

Are you looking for autographed memorabilia? If you are then what do you know about authentication?

MPStoEberletoHall*

Are you looking for autographed memorabilia? If you are then what do you know about authentication?

Ideally, yes.

I already have a signed Gretzky jersey framed ($1200 later), signed and framed pictures of Hall, RNH, Eberle, signed Matt Hendricks gloves (from the Oiler auction).

I'm still somewhat new to this, I've only been collecting and adding to my cave for approximately 18 months now, so I'm not sure how to answer you're question regarding authentication.

I'm just looking for suggestions and tips on how to build it the best way possible. I figured this was the best way possible to find some information and suggestions.

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006
Ideally, yes.

I already have a signed Gretzky jersey framed ($1200 later), signed and framed pictures of Hall, RNH, Eberle, signed Matt Hendricks gloves (from the Oiler auction).

I'm still somewhat new to this, I've only been collecting and adding to my cave for approximately 18 months now, so I'm not sure how to answer you're question regarding authentication.

I'm just looking for suggestions and tips on how to build it the best way possible. I figured this was the best way possible to find some information and suggestions.

I've got autographed Eberle and Hall jerseys I'm selling. Eberle still has the tags on it. Hall has been worn a half dozen times. Message me if interested.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Pro Am Sports is where I go. They are legit. Smyttys doing another public signing there in May FYI to everyone too.

https://www.proamsports.ca/

Right on. They are actually the only store online that I have found that looks like they have quite a few great items. Good to hear you've had good experiences with them.

Know of any other stores? Or do you primarily stick with Pro Am?

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Right on. They are actually the only store online that I have found that looks like they have quite a few great items. Good to hear you've had good experiences with them.

Know of any other stores? Or do you primarily stick with Pro Am?
I stick with em mostly b/c of High quality.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Ideally, yes.

What I mean by authentication is what company the autograph is from. For example: Wayne Gretzky autographs typically have a Gretzky WGA (Wayne Gretzky Authentication) certificate/sticker for older autographs OR a UDA (Upper Deck Authenticated) certificate/sticker for newer autographs since he owns/owned his own autograph/memorabilia company and doesn't deal with other companies. Only other chance of getting a Wayne auto is in person I guess.

If you want Oilers then an excellent authentic company is Pro Am Sports out of Edmonton. They bring in Oilers to the store all the time (sometimes you can get autographs in person too) their website will have tons of Hall, Eberle, Nuge etc stuff. Recently they had Doug Weight in and Mark Messier. All their autographs come with their Pro Am holographic sticker. Check out their site, lots of stuff.

Many athletes sign on with a single autograph company. Sidney Crosby is with Frameworth, Mcdavid is with AJ Sports. If you buy a Crosby or Mcdavid autograph with a certificate from a different company then chances are they are fakes unless they were obtained in person by that seller.

Interesting fact is that when the Oilers had their season seat holders autograph session at rexall a couple months ago, after the event everyone was talking about how McDavid changed his autograph... That wasn't the case at all. Athletes that are signed on with a company (Mcdavid with AJ Sports) have their nice, common autograph reserved for that company but when they sign autographs on the side of the road, at Oiler events or just to some random person that athlete often has a different autograph. Nugent Hopkins does this too. He has a nice autograph with Pro Am Sports and then a different one for non Pro Am Sports events.

If you want legit hockey autographs then there are a few Juggernaut hockey autograph companies that will never steer you wrong (other than lowering your bank account). These companies are: Frozen Pond, Frameworth, Fanatics, Steiner Sports, AJ Sports or UDA. You buy an autograph with these authentications and anyone who knows anything about autographs will notice that you have a quality autograph. These companies all have websites too and are constantly having signings where you can send in your item to them (or go in person).

Oilers website obviously sells legit stuff and also check out NHL auctions which is the official auction of the NHL. If you go on there you will be able to see lots of the stuff for auction and a list of all the different companies the NHL allows to sell on their website (the ones I mentioned above are all on there). You can also see official team auctions like how you mentioned the Oilers auction. The Oiler auction and any other team's auction will be on there. Lots of cool auctions from teams like meet n greets, press box passes, game used stuff and autographs. There usually isn't much notice before an Oiler auction comes up so just keep your eyes peeled on the Oiler site and on NHL auctions.

There's also the EBay route which as we all know has its risks especially with random sellers on there making their own certificate of authenticity (COA), anyone with a computer can make one and doesn't mean the autograph is real. Of course there is real stuff on there too. Go on there an type in Sidney Crosby Frameworth signed jersey and they will pop up with the Frameworth hologram and a letter/COA. Only other time you could roll the dice on an EBay item is if the item for sale has a picture of the athlete actually signing the stick. When I collect autographs, I personally always take pictures of the athlete signing the item because even though I don't sell mine, I still like the proof. Be aware of random "companies" on there like Zippy's autographs (I made up this name) who could be selling a Sidney Crosby signed jersey for $50, might sound obvious but don't buy it. Many people will think oh boy great deal and go for it.

Another option is autographs with PSA or JSA certificates. What these companies do is authenticate your already signed item. Say I met Mcdavid at West Edmonton Mall and got him to sign my shoe. For a fee I could send that shoe into PSA or JSA (I prefer PSA) and they will authenticate it. Well hopefully they authenticate it since I got it signed in person. The risk here is that they might call real signatures fake and then fake signatures real ones. But for the most part these 2 companies have great reputations and their items have strong value. These companies also include a number with that item so if take that PSA signed item, look at the number on it and then type it in on PSA's website and then the site will tell you exactly what item you have. Prevents people from selling fakes. There is also "PSA in the presence" and "JSA witnessed" this is when the company is actually at the event (often at sports memorabilia shows) and actually see the item get signed with their own eyes. Obviously this is more preferred than a normal PSA or JSA item.

If you come across a company called Global Authentics then I please advise you to avoid them. Lots of people will be mad at me for saying this but for the last bunch of years their stuff has been counterfeited by random people and since Global doesn't keep a record of their stuff, it's impossible to know what's real or not. If you are on EBay you will see their stuff is often very cheap.

I have been collecting sports memorabilia from all sports since I was very young and know what it's like to get into this kind of thing. If you have any other questions or if you want my opinion on whether or not an autograph is authentic/real or if you want to know if I have heard of an autograph company then just PM me! Hope my post helps! :)

End Novel :laugh:

MPStoEberletoHall*

What I mean by authentication is what company the autograph is from. For example: Wayne Gretzky autographs typically have a Gretzky WGA (Wayne Gretzky Authentication) certificate/sticker for older autographs OR a UDA (Upper Deck Authenticated) certificate/sticker for newer autographs since he owns/owned his own autograph/memorabilia company and doesn't deal with other companies. Only other chance of getting a Wayne auto is in person I guess.

If you want Oilers then an excellent authentic company is Pro Am Sports out of Edmonton. They bring in Oilers to the store all the time (sometimes you can get autographs in person too) their website will have tons of Hall, Eberle, Nuge etc stuff. Recently they had Doug Weight in and Mark Messier. All their autographs come with their Pro Am holographic sticker. Check out their site, lots of stuff.

Many athletes sign on with a single autograph company. Sidney Crosby is with Frameworth, Mcdavid is with AJ Sports. If you buy a Crosby or Mcdavid autograph with a certificate from a different company then chances are they are fakes unless they were obtained in person by that seller.

Interesting fact is that when the Oilers had their season seat holders autograph session at rexall a couple months ago, after the event everyone was talking about how McDavid changed his autograph... That wasn't the case at all. Athletes that are signed on with a company (Mcdavid with AJ Sports) have their nice, common autograph reserved for that company but when they sign autographs on the side of the road, at Oiler events or just to some random person that athlete often has a different autograph. Nugent Hopkins does this too. He has a nice autograph with Pro Am Sports and then a different one for non Pro Am Sports events.

If you want legit hockey autographs then there are a few Juggernaut hockey autograph companies that will never steer you wrong (other than lowering your bank account). These companies are: Frozen Pond, Frameworth, Fanatics, Steiner Sports, AJ Sports or UDA. You buy an autograph with these authentications and anyone who knows anything about autographs will notice that you have a quality autograph. These companies all have websites too and are constantly having signings where you can send in your item to them (or go in person).

Oilers website obviously sells legit stuff and also check out NHL auctions which is the official auction of the NHL. If you go on there you will be able to see lots of the stuff for auction and a list of all the different companies the NHL allows to sell on their website (the ones I mentioned above are all on there). You can also see official team auctions like how you mentioned the Oilers auction. The Oiler auction and any other team's auction will be on there. Lots of cool auctions from teams like meet n greets, press box passes, game used stuff and autographs. There usually isn't much notice before an Oiler auction comes up so just keep your eyes peeled on the Oiler site and on NHL auctions.

There's also the EBay route which as we all know has its risks especially with random sellers on there making their own certificate of authenticity (COA), anyone with a computer can make one and doesn't mean the autograph is real. Of course there is real stuff on there too. Go on there an type in Sidney Crosby Frameworth signed jersey and they will pop up with the Frameworth hologram and a letter/COA. Only other time you could roll the dice on an EBay item is if the item for sale has a picture of the athlete actually signing the stick. When I collect autographs, I personally always take pictures of the athlete signing the item because even though I don't sell mine, I still like the proof. Be aware of random "companies" on there like Zippy's autographs (I made up this name) who could be selling a Sidney Crosby signed jersey for $50, might sound obvious but don't buy it. Many people will think oh boy great deal and go for it.

Another option is autographs with PSA or JSA certificates. What these companies do is authenticate your already signed item. Say I met Mcdavid at West Edmonton Mall and got him to sign my shoe. For a fee I could send that shoe into PSA or JSA (I prefer PSA) and they will authenticate it. Well hopefully they authenticate it since I got it signed in person. The risk here is that they might call real signatures fake and then fake signatures real ones. But for the most part these 2 companies have great reputations and their items have strong value. These companies also include a number with that item so if take that PSA signed item, look at the number on it and then type it in on PSA's website and then the site will tell you exactly what item you have. Prevents people from selling fakes. There is also "PSA in the presence" and "JSA witnessed" this is when the company is actually at the event (often at sports memorabilia shows) and actually see the item get signed with their own eyes. Obviously this is more preferred than a normal PSA or JSA item.

If you come across a company called Global Authentics then I please advise you to avoid them. Lots of people will be mad at me for saying this but for the last bunch of years their stuff has been counterfeited by random people and since Global doesn't keep a record of their stuff, it's impossible to know what's real or not. If you are on EBay you will see their stuff is often very cheap.

I have been collecting sports memorabilia from all sports since I was very young and know what it's like to get into this kind of thing. If you have any other questions or if you want my opinion on whether or not an autograph is authentic/real or if you want to know if I have heard of an autograph company then just PM me! Hope my post helps! :)

Wow. Thanks a lot for this. I really appreciate it. It's always been a dream of mine to start this up, and you're insight will go a long ways in helping me make my dream come true. I'll definitely PM you if I have any questions.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I've been collecting a long while and tend to agree with everything above. I'd even go one step further and say I tend to not touch PSA/DNA or JSA stuff unless I know they witnessed it as well, bit that's more personal preference I guess. They have a good reputation, but everyone has a different level of what they're comfortable with.

Since he used RNH as an example, I've seen far too many of those horrid in person autos get authenticated by these companies and they resemble nothing of his real auto. And simply too hard to spot a fake in that bunch unless it's witnessed.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

Great info....have a quick question. If you purchase an autographed item from another sports mem shop (say a smaller shop), does that mean they got it from the original shop that the player is associated with, such as AJ Sports in the case of Connor McDavid signed items? (these items generally have the sticker of their own store on the photo etc.).

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Great info....have a quick question. If you purchase an autographed item from another sports mem shop (say a smaller shop), does that mean they got it from the original shop that the player is associated with, such as AJ Sports in the case of Connor McDavid signed items? (these items generally have the sticker of their own store on the photo etc.).

For the most part, the answer is yes.

All the reputable guys will buy products and do signings associated with other places in order to get product of exclusive players from other companies.

Anything you buy from Pro Am that's McDavid auto'd will come with an AJs hologram and certificate of authenticity. And vice versa.

No reputable places like the other poster mentioned would sell anything fake either.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The only times you certain guys with a few different types of certificates of authenticity is for players that aren't exclusive with any specific company. Or a guy that switches dealers.

For example, Hall was with AJs for a long time dating back to his Windsor days. Almost all his stuff will have it on it. However, he's switched now to Frameworth.

Another example is a guy like Draisaitl. He's not able exclusive with anyone, at least right now. He did a few signings with Pro Am earlier this year, so their authenticity will be on it. If he does signings with anyone else it will be theirs unless he signs with someone.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
It is pretty easy to get autographs from visiting teams here in Winnipeg. This year I got McDavid, Hall, Drai, RNH, Eberle, Toews, Parise, among others. All nice autos, not scribbled. It's cheap and you can build a great collection. It just takes up your time. PM me for further details.

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
I have a question that is semi related to this: does anyone know if the "Farewell Rexall" patches are available for purchase and if so where they can be purchased? Thank you.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I have a question that is semi related to this: does anyone know if the "Farewell Rexall" patches are available for purchase and if so where they can be purchased? Thank you.

https://ssl.frameworth.com/final-game-at-rexall-place-memorabilia

Not entirely sure what you meant by "patches", but the Oilers made these with Frameworth. They are ones with game used plexi glass, net pieces, both, etc.

If this is not what you meant, sorry. And I can't help you then, haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad