Edmonton Oilers hope for a steal among their NCAA and Euro prospects

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
william_lagesson_umass_030416.jpg
Photo: Edmonton Oilers prospect William Lagesson is a Frölunda product and UMass freshman who has shown intriguing amounts of offense in his young career (courtesy of Matthew J. Lee/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)

The Edmonton Oilers’ NCAA and European prospect pool is not a large one, made even smaller by Finnish goaltender Eetu Laurikainen joining the Bakersfield Condors in 2015-16 and Bogdan Yakimov making his return to North American hockey after a brief hiatus in Europe. The team also added former Minnesota Wild prospect Jere Sallinen out of the Finnish Liiga to its pro ranks. The remaining crop of players consists of mid- to late-round picks, many of whom are longshots for NHL success.… read more

The post Edmonton Oilers hope for a steal among their NCAA and Euro prospects appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
From a UMass blog

The biggest flight risk for UMass this year may be William Lagesson, a 6-foot-3 defenseman and fourth round draft pick of the Edmonton Oilers in 2014. A freshman in 2015, Lagesson impressed with his defensive zone play, strength and mobility in his first season with the Minutemen and looked like a future NHL defenseman when he was healthy. It’s only natural to wonder if the Oilers want him in their system for the next year or two, opposed to sticking around with a rebuilding UMass team.

http://dailycollegian.com/2016/03/27...-coach-search/

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I do love me some Lagesson. Just might be one of the surprising sleeper picks from the dark ages of the MacT and MacGregor era. Sadly, like Erik Gustaffsson would have been.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I can see them rushing to sign Lagesson.

The systems already overflowing with LH defenceman, so there's zero point in rushing him along.

I'd suspect Lagesson will be signed the year after Bear, Jones and Paigin go pro

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Purely from a selfish point of view I hope any and all of our us college guys end up in the AHL or jump to juniors. Better for the kids to be in college getting an education but I just don't like the development path for us college.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Purely from a selfish point of view I hope any and all of our us college guys end up in the AHL or jump to juniors. Better for the kids to be in college getting an education but I just don't like the development path for us college.

I think its been solid for us. For D only its been positive. Simpson went on to be youngest ever captain at ND and be recognized for some awards. Plus a good frozen four. Laleggia won a ton of awards and was #1 D on a good team. If they had went to AHL they probably would have been buried

Although I think best path is 2/3 years in NCAA and then 2 years in AHL. Transition to pro hockey takes a year or 2 for D. So you have 22 year olds leaving NCAA and it takes another 2 years in AHL

Generally speaking, the best path is CJHL till 18, NCAA till 20, AHL till 22. That way you get better comp in NCAA than you would in CHL while 18/19 or 20 and then you get better competition in AHL than you would in NCAA at 20/21/22. And ready for NHL by 22. Not 24 or 25

Although on current AHL team thats stacked with young LD prospects. Best option is top pairing in NCAA versus eating some other prospects minutes in AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00