Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers Defeat the Vancouver Canucks, 4-3, advance to WCF

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Canuck fans after 3-2 series lead

Attachments

• pigeon.gif
    pigeon.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
For all the talk of Hughes not being great, or whatever, this is how he goes out

He definitely wasn't at his best overall in this series but the baseline is still strong with him either way.

Hope everyone noticed Bouch was second on that list. And ahead of Ek who carries him.

Hughes is amazing... I think he was hurt. I think he'll deseervedly win the Norris as well. I do wonder about small size and long playoff runs. I noticed him a lot more in the regular season slaughters.

Reactions: VainGretzky

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hope everyone noticed Bouch was second on that list. And ahead of Ek who carries him.

Hughes is amazing... I think he was hurt. I think he'll deseervedly win the Norris as well. I do wonder about small size and long playoff runs. I noticed him a lot more in the regular season slaughters.
He’s not “ahead” of Ekholm that just shows they’re a strong pairing.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
lol. please do tell me more about astronomical odds. educate me.

or maybe just take the series win and good luck with dallas.
I'd rather hear more about how playing one extra game the series before led to their downfall. No gas in the tank after a 6 game 1st round, lmfao, shouldn't have chased the division banner so hard I guess.

We will take the series win, just like we did with Calgary.

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
For all the talk of Hughes not being great, or whatever, this is how he goes out

He definitely wasn't at his best overall in this series but the baseline is still strong with him either way.

Those kind of numbers will happen when you continuously put a guy on the ice when the puck is headed towards the offensive end.

Hughes had 70% offensive end starts to his shifts. The announcers even noticed this and mentioned how smart it was of Tocchet to let Hughes start his shifts when the puck was moving up ice so Hughes wouldn't have to "waste" his energy on defence.

So the chart says more about him being good at offence than defence.

The fact that Hughes spent more time 5v5 vs Ryan McLeod (40:27) than he did vs McDavid (39:52) really says something about the matchups Toccchet was trying to get for Hughes.

Last edited:

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
I would bet every single one of these Canucks fans in here cheer in the Toronto Blue Jays because they are "Canada's Team"...I know this because they all flock to Seattle to watch them play. So having that said...I would imagine you will all cheer on Edmonton now since they are "Canada's Team", right?
I don't mind the Blue Jays but they are not my favorite team. I grew up a Seattle fan due to Ken Griffey JR. And became a Oakland fan in my early teens.

Oakland is my #1. Then a toss up of Seattle/Toronto .

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Oilers barely beat the Canucks minus their starting goalie, their top winger, and with their franchise center having 1 goal in 13 games.

Fun series. But you're going to get smoked by Dallas, and you know it. Enjoy this while it lasts.
It took the 2 biggest Canuck MVPs to be out for the Oilers to beat the Canucks in 7 in a one goal game. Safe to say if the actual Canucks roster showed up, theyd win easy
Hopefully Stars in 4
Stars in 4
We weren't even supposed to be here, and everyone else hates your team, so it probably wouldn't have been us dunking on you.
Canucks out 2 key guys is huge. Take out Mcbaby and Drai, oilers would be shutout
oiler fans in here running down a canuck club that they barely beat
if vancouver sucks so badly what hope do you have against dallas???
Edmonton barely beat Vancouver despite Vancouver invoking every excuse and counterfactual in the book!
The better team did not win.
How do you have 5 shots beyond the halfway point of the match in a Game 7 on home ice with Owen Wilson in the crowd?

You're playing against the freakin' Oilers, that titanium asteroid worth 10,000 quadrillion dollars would've been able to score on this defence with Skinner in the net. Canucks should be ashamed, they let the worst team in this entire playoffs beat them and not even show up until 3 minutes left. Pathetic.
Oilers barely beat an injury riddled Canucks team playing their 3rd string goaltender and without their leading scorer. Would’ve been nice to play Dallas with Thatcher Demko & Brock Boeser back to start game 1, Canuck Luck I guess.
They won with a template that has proven to be ineffective in winning championships. Anyone can luck out of a series, rarely can a team luck into a Stanley Cup
Hope Edm losses and Draistail leaves.
mF1wc1.gif

:eyeroll:

Well, to all the Canucks fans that have maintained a fair level of respect during these 7 games, I salute you! Your team certainly gave us a whole lot of trouble and (with the exception of game 6) they were in every game they played. It's too bad Boeser got a clot and missed the last game. That's a tough break for sure. He was fantastic and hope he recovers.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Props to the Oilers, they didnt fold after a terrible ending to game 5. After they switched to Pickard, that changed the tone honestly. Oilers limited to the Canucks to only 3 goals at most, and they definitely brought their A game

now please win a conference finals game

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Is there any way for the NHL to change the Jack Adams result? After this series it's been proven that Tocchett is a fraud.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
They’ll be the first one screaming about him being untouchable in the off season threads
Nope. The team structure is what gave a guy like Silovs a chance. But we will keep him. Instead of pawning him off to the Leafs or Oilers just to see him get shelled. This even happened with Devan Dubnyk in reverse. But getting away from Jasper Avenue was probably half the battle. I remember checking the schedule when they'd leave the bar open for Hall and the boys, getting pissed up at 3am. There wasn't a game the next day but the day after. I guess those nights helped land McDavid.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022

Pretty much the whole Vancouver media is giving Bouchard credit today.

I wonder where he ends up in a redraft today

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
A critical mistake the Nucks made in this series is cheering their team on a first name basis.

Sure you want to get "PETEY" and "JT MILLER" going. But what about the other guys? So many guys could have made an impact but they felt left out and ignored by the Vancouver fanbase. Probably why the Nucks were dominated in possession. Some fanbases just don't know how to cheer their team.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Pretty much the whole Vancouver media is giving Bouchard credit today.

I wonder where he ends up in a redraft today
1716342886313.png

6th? Few risers taken after him. Dobson was also taken after him and that would be a great argument on who's better. I think Dobson would win it but just guessing. What a draft for D!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad