Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers Defeat the Vancouver Canucks, 4-3, advance to WCF

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bouchard is a good complimentary defenceman, he doesn’t tilt the ice when he’s on but he works well behind McDavid

He was the best player for either team in that series and outplayed Hughes. He's the main reason the Oilers are moving on, 5 goals in 7 games, 2 game winners off his stick, just give it a rest at this point. 1 goal and the primary assist on the game winner in a game 7.

He "tilted" the entire damn series.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Except you're saying it was low percentage vs. low percentage. It might be a novel idea to try to get more high percentage chances.

If you're saying that "want" has nothing to do with it, I'd go back and take a look at Canucks players rushing plays when hits were coming. Key players weren't willing to take the hit to make the play. That's just one example.
Look at where the Oilers players were located on the ice for every goal against this entire series. Either in their goalie's eyes, or nowhere to be found at all. That's not a foundation for "winning hockey", that's shinny

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Oh well. The dream dies for another year.

Frustrating to get so close, especially after losing Demko. The Oilers carried the play for most of the series. Silovs isn’t to blame obviously, but being sub .900 you’d have to think that a healthy Demko in there wins us the series. That was ultimately the difference.

I’ll be interested to see the injury list as there are a few guys clearly banged up and playing on fumes.

The challenge for the Canucks is building on this and taking momentum into next year. They can do that or they can fade into obscurity like they did after the bubble. Big offseason coming up.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Bouchard is a good complimentary defenceman, he doesn’t tilt the ice when he’s on but he works well behind McDavid

Bouchard isn't the best skater, I'll give you that.

Draisaitl had an excellent series, but I still don't think he dominated the way Bouchard did. People can downplay his transition play as much as they want, but he has one of the best breakout passes in the league. He won't dazzle with some elite skating, but he was very good defensively all series and his breakout pass was always clean and on the money. Didn't have to spend much time in his own end because of it and that showed up big time in the shot metrics.

Bouchard was better defensively than I was expecting, as a Canucks fan I wish we had made it a bit tougher on him but I ragged on him in the LA series & he impressed me in this series.

I agree he's a high-end complimentary defenseman & his strengths are a perfect fit for that team. And I don't mean to knock Oilers fans in saying that. FWIW I think Boeser is also a high-end complementary player on our end.

Both are fantastic, but if their your best F/D... I don't think your a contender. But neither are, & both fit their teams very well.

Reactions: Three On Zero

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He was the best player for either team in that series and outplayed Hughes. He's the main reason the Oilers are moving on, 5 goals in 7 games, 2 game winners off his stick, just give it a rest at this point. 1 goal and the primary assist on the game winner in a game 7.

He "tilted" the entire damn series.
Oilers outshot Van 70-28 and outscored them 10-4 when Bouchard was on the ice 5v5. Thats the definition of tilting a series.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Vancouver does not suck and they have a lot to be proud of. They were very close to advancing past a prime McDavid.

Dallas isn’t as scary as most make them out to be…
Dallas is complete top to bottom . They have size and speed. They are the cream of the crop in the west this year. Will be a massive hill for the Oilers to climb.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
You mean their 40 goal scoring winger that was playing with a blood clot in game 6 and didn't play game 7
Omg man. Do you think boeser is enough winger depth? We have great centers and we have one legitimate top 6 winger. This isn't about boeser.

Are u satisfied with petey playing with suter and mikheyev or hoglander?

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Look at where the Oilers players were located on the ice for every goal against this entire series. Either in their goalie's eyes, or nowhere to be found at all. That's not a foundation for "winning hockey", that's shinny
Sounds like the oilers lost with a "losing hockey" foundation.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Oilers barely beat an injury riddled Canucks team playing their 3rd string goaltender and without their leading scorer. Would’ve been nice to play Dallas with Thatcher Demko & Brock Boeser back to start game 1, Canuck Luck I guess.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Whatever the Oilers are doing when they are up in the third isn't great. Should have won game 1 and not looked back

Their PP will need to be almost perfect if they run into Dallas / NY next.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Oh well. The dream dies for another year.

Frustrating to get so close, especially after losing Demko. The Oilers carried the play for most of the series. Silovs isn’t to blame obviously, but being sub .900 you’d have to think that a healthy Demko in there wins us the series. That was ultimately the difference.

I’ll be interested to see the injury list as there are a few guys clearly banged up and playing on fumes.

The challenge for the Canucks is building on this and taking momentum into next year. They can do that or they can fade into obscurity like they did after the bubble. Big offseason coming up.
I thought Silovs played incredibly well despite his SV%. I'd take him on my team in a heartbeat.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
They had to get past Dallas and they couldn’t even do that ! The Oilers would have beaten the Avs too because I thought the Avs could be had in the playoffs this year and they were. Oilers in 7 over Dallas !! :stanley:
Oilers will ve swept. Dallas actually has their number 1 goalie healthy, not to mention depth everywhere.

• Haha
Reactions: ManByng

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Wow, I don't think this is a fair take based on this series alone. The kid had FIVE goals in 7 games... from the D position. He was absolutely dominant, and to be perfectly honest, was the scariest Oiler on the ice most games... especially on the PP. He was a terror.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Bouchard was better defensively than I was expecting, as a Canucks fan I wish we had made it a bit tougher on him but I ragged on him in the LA series & he impressed me in this series.

I agree he's a high-end complimentary defenseman & his strengths are a perfect fit for that team. And I don't mean to knock Oilers fans in saying that. FWIW I think Boeser is also a high-end complementary player on our end.

Both are fantastic, but if their your best F/D... I don't think your a contender. But neither are, & both fit their teams very well.
Has a good shot and Ekholm has done wonders for his defensive game. Lets him play a little looser knowing he has a good defensive guy beside him

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad