Post-Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers Defeat the Vancouver Canucks, 4-3, advance to WCF

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Putting Mikheyev on the top line was a mistake, the guy simply can’t finish. I would have put Giuseppe there. He’s been good in the limited time he has seen this series.

Boeser out completely threw their lines off and Tocchet only had hours to re create the lines.

Bingo.

The craziest part about Mikheyev is in his first 78 games as a Canuck he scored 23 goals & 49 points.

Since then he's been such a black hole I think even NASA inquired to see whats going on.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The interesting part of the series is literally every game (aside from game 6) could've gone the opposite way with a bounce here or there.

Skinner was bad for EDM all series, Ian Cole was bascially playing for the Oilers, those 2 guys alone decided like 4 of the games.

Just sucks we didn't have Demmer/Boes but that's the way she goes, proud of the group that it came right down to the wire under those circumstances.

Cole gets a bit too much shit, the game winner in the one OT really he had no choice but to try and get his stick on the puck. If he doesn't, the puck is going straight to Hyman and McDavid who were both uncovered with an empty net to the side. I think he saved a goal today too on Draisaitl, that was a sure goal otherwise.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
GGs I think we all know Canucks win this series 8 times out of 10, we just ran into the games where their point shots went in and ours didn't. Them's the breaks
No they really don’t. They were out shot and outplayed pretty much the entire series. If the oilers don’t shit all over themselves in game 1 this series is over in 6.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Oilers barely beat the Canucks minus their starting goalie, their top winger, and with their franchise center having 1 goal in 13 games.

Fun series. But you're going to get smoked by Dallas, and you know it. Enjoy this while it lasts.
Found the salty one!

Canucks were great and hung in there with the best of them. Great series! Vancouver has a bright future!

Reactions: ujju2

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
Congrats the the Nucks on a great series played overall. Will rank much higher than the Flames series when its all said and done.

And Probably the scariest team coming back from behind. I was already content with it going to overtime at the end and was hoping for a OT winner. Just insane how they manifest goals in the last 10 minutes, and its not all luck.

Reactions: Howard Beale

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Cole gets a bit too much shit, the game winner in the one OT really he had no choice but to try and get his stick on the puck. If he doesn't, the puck is going straight to Hyman and McDavid who were both uncovered with an empty net to the side. He saved a goal today too on Draisaitl, that was a sure goal otherwise.

Ya it was mostly bad luck, he had a good NSH series. I was glad they kept going with him but he was a big factor early on unfortunately.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
How much better would Demko have beeth than Silovs in this series? Yeah obviously I’m not saying they are interchangeable, but having an unscouted goalie sometimes works out well.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ya it was mostly bad luck, he had a good NSH series. I was glad they kept going with him but he was a big factor early on unfortunately.

It's not so much bad luck but Bouchard basically forced him to make a lose-lose play, you get your stick on the puck and it's probably going in, if you do nothing the puck is going straight to Hyman for a tap in goal. The D gets all the blame in that situation for "scoring on his goal" but really it's the offensive player forcing the d-man into a no win scenario.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Its actually fairly common in the cap era for teams to win with their back up.

05/06 Canes
07/08 Wings
09/10 Blackhawks
15/16 Penguins
21/22 Avalanche
22/23 Knights
Now do the teams that needed to rely on their 3rd goalie.
Silovs played fine but at the end of the day he was still the 3rd string goalie, I think only Vegas has won a cup with a 3rd stringer taking the net

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
It really is a refreshing and heart-warming show from the crowd vs throwing beer cans and rancid steak onto the ice. Just cements the idea that IQ goes up the closer you get to the coasts. Good series from both teams! Good hockey.

I agree completely. It was inspiring watching Einstein himself lead the previous Vancouver riots.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad