Three stars vs. Edmonton - November 11, 2017

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I think the biggest and most notable improvement on our PP is motion.

Guys are moving a lot more, creating lanes for shots where it was pretty predictable in years past.

Factor in that we have a lot more options now in the aforementioned Shattenkirk, Mika, Zuccs, Butchy and Kreider (and that's the 1st unit)

It's not really surprising to see the PP be a danger to opposing teams every game.
Quick passing combined with lots of movement means the D has no time to adjust. They've already decided what there doing with the puck before its on their stick and the pk can't keep up. Natural player motion follows the quick passing, leaving guys with open passing and shooting options. 4 successful passes in 2 seconds will leave at least a seam or 2 open for a cross ice one timer or an open stick in front for a deflection. It's great to see that those same seam passes that were getting deflected away in previous years are getting through this year.

Now I hope pk's around the league don't dissect us and make miraculous adjustments leaving our pp stagnant by year's end as seems to happen with everything else offensive related to our team yearly.

Reactions: torirose1998

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Quick passing combined with lots of movement means the D has no time to adjust. They've already decided what there doing with the puck before its on their stick and the pk can't keep up. Natural player motion follows the quick passing, leaving guys with open passing and shooting options. 4 successful passes in 2 seconds will leave at least a seam or 2 open for a cross ice one timer or an open stick in front for a deflection. It's great to see that those same seam passes that were getting deflected away in previous years are getting through this year.

Now I hope pk's around the league don't dissect us and make miraculous adjustments leaving our pp stagnant by year's end as seems to happen with everything else offensive related to our team yearly.
The sign of a really good team is being able to re-invent themselves with different ways to score. Time will tell.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
The PP improvement can be attributed to three players: Shatty, Zib, and Buch. Shattenkirk is one of the elite PP QB's in the game, and it shows why. His passing and ability to anticipate where his guys are going is outstanding. Add a really good right handed shot to the left dot (Zib) in addition to another shooter with great playmaking skills (Buch) and you have a much better powerplay.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
You know what's funny? Not as much now as the game has evolved but all I'd hear for years is "shoooooot" on the PP and how we suck because we don't shoot when it's player and puck movement that makes a good QB, not guys senselessly shooting.

you know whats even funnier? when asked why the pp has been working so well every single guy on the pp said that they made a decision to shoot the puck more...

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
You know what's funny? Not as much now as the game has evolved but all I'd hear for years is "shoooooot" on the PP and how we suck because we don't shoot when it's player and puck movement that makes a good QB, not guys senselessly shooting.
With tv and radio guys like Micheletti and Sam waxing on how throwing it on net is never a bad thing, people hear that and latch on because it's simple and makes sense to them. And then if the pass fails, confirmation bias kicks in - "seeee? I told ya he shoulda shot!".

You do need to successfully shoot from the point to keep teams honest and open other shooting and passing lanes. Which is another element Shattenkirk adds. He's ridiculously good getting the puck on net trough traffic.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It's an easy decision to shoot when the pass is delivered straight into your wheelhouse. Do you recall how often Zibanejad misfired last year that many of us were wondering what's wrong with HIS shot? Apparently, it wasn't about him but more about (Shatt's) ability to consistently deliver a perfect set up.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
It's an easy decision to shoot when the pass is delivered straight into your wheelhouse. Do you recall how often Zibanejad misfired last year that many of us were wondering what's wrong with HIS shot? Apparently, it wasn't about him but more about (Shatt's) ability to consistently deliver a perfect set up.
Buch being decisively better, passing and shooting, as well as a RH to find him open in shooting positions, definitely play apart in Zib's shooting being much better.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
you know whats even funnier? when asked why the pp has been working so well every single guy on the pp said that they made a decision to shoot the puck more...

Well, it’s a balance. What Snowblind is talking about there is the people who yell shoot every time a player has the puck without a defender right on him.

The Rangers aren’t throwing pucks at the net every time they have a moment with the puck. They’re just not passing up shots when they have the opportunity. There’s a huge difference there.

And btw, there’s not a single person with a decent understanding of the game who hasn’t rolled their eyes at the “shooot” crowd every time they open their mouths.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
The significantly better talent on that first PP unit gives them options they did not have before. How many players could consistently one-time a cross slot pass the way we have seen recently. Where the PP used to struggle was the repeated perimeter passing which did not stress the opposition and simply wound the clock down. Lots of time when they couldn't engineer a finesse play, which is what it appeared they trying to do, they should have got the puck on the net and gone for a rebound dirty or not. That is where shooting being valuable. Possession for the sake of possession, on a PP, is not the goal (pun intended).

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
With tv and radio guys like Micheletti and Sam waxing on how throwing it on net is never a bad thing, people hear that and latch on because it's simple and makes sense to them. And then if the pass fails, confirmation bias kicks in - "seeee? I told ya he shoulda shot!".

You do need to successfully shoot from the point to keep teams honest and open other shooting and passing lanes. Which is another element Shattenkirk adds. He's ridiculously good getting the puck on net trough traffic.

As the great Vince Pedrie once said "You can't score if you pass" ;)

Reactions: will1066 and romba

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
47 in 82 games last year. .57 20.2%
17 in 18 games this year. .94 25.8%

What are those numbers? PP of course.
Like we already know, not only they "look like" they know what they're doing but more importantly

It's the "timely PP goals", the much needed PPG when down a goal in a game you look like you may not win, that eventually steals the momentum. Like the Edmonton game for example.
The 3 PPG's vs Vegas,.....again, maybe we had no business winning that one.
Games like those, I swear I don't remember winning last year. For the most part 20.2% is not the best, but it's not the worst. Just seemed our PP did more harm, than good.
This year is different.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
The PP is vastly better because of two players.

SHATTENKIRK: He's a clear PPQB like we haven't had since #2. Outstanding passing and godly ability to get aa wrist shot through. I continue to think its a fluke everytime it happens, but it keeps happening. His pass to zibby in the 1st game of the year is proof he thinks the offensive game differently than every other Dman we currently have in the NHL.

BUCHNEVICH: He's clearly much better on that right side wall that zucc. I love Zucc but Buch has the better shot and can one-time it better. Buch tends to move the puck more than zucc on the powerplay. Zucc would hold looking for the perfect pass. Buch keeps moving the puck down to Zucc/Kreider or up top to Shattenkirk. This keeps the defenders moving and opening up lanes. Also buch is great at finding the open space(the goal he scored last game).

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
And mobility is why they are getting more shots to the net. If they stand still, it's easier for the PK'ers to block the lanes.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The PP is vastly better because of two players.

SHATTENKIRK: He's a clear PPQB like we haven't had since #2. Outstanding passing and godly ability to get aa wrist shot through. I continue to think its a fluke everytime it happens, but it keeps happening. His pass to zibby in the 1st game of the year is proof he thinks the offensive game differently than every other Dman we currently have in the NHL.

BUCHNEVICH: He's clearly much better on that right side wall that zucc. I love Zucc but Buch has the better shot and can one-time it better. Buch tends to move the puck more than zucc on the powerplay. Zucc would hold looking for the perfect pass. Buch keeps moving the puck down to Zucc/Kreider or up top to Shattenkirk. This keeps the defenders moving and opening up lanes. Also buch is great at finding the open space(the goal he scored last game).

Great point. Buch is getting the puck off his stick quickly. Everyone is.

I think sometimes Zucc tries to do too much on the PP due all the available time and his great passing skills. Occasionally it's ok to hold on to the puck looking for the perfect pass like Zucc does on the PP, but it also forces a reset because everyone stops moving at that point and pressure will be applied to Zucc or whoever the recipient of his delayed pass is. More often than not its better to make the quick simple pass to the open point or below the net to keep the puck and defenders moving if there's no immediately available cross ice seam.

Also the fact that Buch has ++ one timer ability to go with his ++ wrist shot adds an extra dynamic that Zucc doesn't posses. PP's have to respect both Zbad's and Buch's shots from both sides. Throw in Shatty too at the point and it's an absolute shit show for the PK I love it.

Viva la power play!

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad