Speculation: Edmonton not a likely destination for Fowler

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Well they just traded Johansen so it really wasn't much of a head scratcher.

I mean, I'm over the moon happy they left Pulju to us. He fills a need and is perfect as a future RWer for McDavid.

I completely understand CBJs pick though. Dubois is a physical two-way beast who played his best hockey at centre. He probably goes 1st or 2nd in some of the other recent drafts (i.e. 2011, 2012).

YngwieJ86

Mar 30, 2016
I mean, I'm over the moon happy they left Pulju to us. He fills a need and is perfect as a future RWer for McDavid.

I completely understand CBJs pick though. Dubois is a physical two-way beast who played his best hockey at centre. He probably goes 1st or 2nd in some of the other recent drafts (i.e. 2011, 2012).

Dubois visions himself as a winger like he said post draft interview too. And if nationality affected the CBJ pick anyhow, being a Finn affected it negatively as Jarmo is on a hot seat and Puljujärvi had injury troubles. If he would've wiffed with that pick, it could've been used against him i feel. That said, i'm confident that Puljujärvi is going to be by far the better player of the two and first time in 10 years Oilers have the staff that i'm actually not afraid of their player development ruining players.

Fowler is a good PMD and could fit well with Larsson, but the trade seem unlikely as the Oilers don't have the necessary trade pieces (Nuge/Draisatl not equal value/doesn't make sense IMO) and gathering more picks in return shouldn't be more attractive than spending those in order of getting young or established players at this point.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Dubois visions himself as a winger like he said post draft interview too. And if nationality affected the CBJ pick anyhow, being a Finn affected it negatively as Jarmo is on a hot seat and Puljujärvi had injury troubles. If he would've wiffed with that pick, it could've been used against him i feel. That said, i'm confident that Puljujärvi is going to be by far the better player of the two and first time in 10 years Oilers have the staff that i'm actually not afraid of their player development ruining players.

Fowler is a good PMD and could fit well with Larsson, but the trade seem unlikely as the Oilers don't have the necessary trade pieces (Nuge/Draisatl not equal value/doesn't make sense IMO) and gathering more picks in return shouldn't be more attractive than spending those in order of getting young or established players at this point.

Pulju has zero pressure on him. If he's ready, he can play on the 3rd line with Drai, if he's not ready no problem him starting in the AHL. He doesn't need to be a saviour, and isn't expected to be one. We might have zero rookies starting on our opening day roster if Pulju begins in the AHL, that's a welcome change. It's nice to have a young draft pick come in with no pressure on him. We're growing up as a team.

Fowler is good and underrated here by many Eastern fans especially. However, he's a lefty and not exactly what we're looking for. Certainly not even considering Nuge or Drai to a divisional opponent. Besides, centre will be our strength going forward with 3 very talented centres. One of them is getting a mismatch.

Correct, we have zero interest in picks or prospects. Drai and McDavid are on their ELCs. The Oilers need to start winning now and going for it, our window is just starting to open.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Your opinion keeps flip-flopping now - is Puljujarvi better than Dubois or not? CBJ went off the board, you said, and now that they passed on Puljujarvi you're not sold on him? So which is it?

Who am I to say who's better? *****? I said they went off the baord cuz as u might be aware, Matthews, Laine and Pulji were the clear 1, 2 and 3. So when he went off and drafted PLD, He broke all expectations and thus went off board.
And yes im not sold on Pulji but what has that to do with PLD? I may also not be sold on him. And when did i say Pulji is better than PLD??

I was never sold on pulji and the fact the CBJ GM passed out on him only reaffirmed my beliefs.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Pulju has zero pressure on him. If he's ready, he can play on the 3rd line with Drai, if he's not ready no problem him starting in the AHL. He doesn't need to be a saviour, and isn't expected to be one. We might have zero rookies starting on our opening day roster if Pulju begins in the AHL, that's a welcome change. It's nice to have a young draft pick come in with no pressure on him. We're growing up as a team.

Fowler is good and underrated here by many Eastern fans especially. However, he's a lefty and not exactly what we're looking for. Certainly not even considering Nuge or Drai to a divisional opponent. Besides, centre will be our strength going forward with 3 very talented centres. One of them is getting a mismatch.

Correct, we have zero interest in picks or prospects. Drai and McDavid are on their ELCs. The Oilers need to start winning now and going for it, our window is just starting to open.

I dont see Nuge or drais staying as the #3 C. They need to make a trade before one of them leaves the oilers or demands a trade when or if all hell breaks loose again in Edm.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I dont see Nuge or drais staying as the #3 C. They need to make a trade before one of them leaves the oilers or demands a trade when or if all hell breaks loose again in Edm.

Why do they need to make a trade? Good teams play to their strengths, there is no "single formula" to success. You need good players utilized to their maximum potential.

Our division features teams with excellent top 6 lines and elite Dmen. At most, Doughty/Vlasic/OEL can be double shifted and take away 2 out of the 3 lines. Likewise, teams like ANA and LAK can match up their best 2 lines against our best 2 lines.

If there is a chink in the armour for teams like the LAK and ANA, it's their bottom 6. Matchup against McDavid and RNHs line, you leave Drai with a mismatch. Matchup against McDavid and Drais line, you leave RNHs line with a mismatch.

Rolling the top 9 with basically 1a, 1b, 1c style lines plays to our strengths. Wave after wave rolling those 3 lines through. Give the 4th line minimum even strength time, maybe work them in every other rotation through the top 9. Ask the 4th line to play heavy PK minutes.

In any sport, good teams utilize their strengths and create favourable situations from the personnel they have. For us, it's having 3 elite centres who can carry their own line going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad