Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread 2015: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
It may help defer some of the Esks costs but for the most part it is meant to weed out those that are not serious.

It used to be $100, $200 seems pretty high considering how poorly paid CFL players are.

This is exactly why they do it. Down there every street has a dozen guys who think they can play pro football. The small fee discourages tire kickers. Maybe they should refund it for someone who makes the team.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
This is exactly why they do it. Down there every street has a dozen guys who think they can play pro football. The small fee discourages tire kickers. Maybe they should refund it for someone who makes the team.

Imagine how many players would show up to a free pro tryout, would be brutal running that

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
No reason for the Esks not to come out on top in tonight. Bombers game with TO 2 weeks ago went down to the wire with Robert Marve as the starting QB.

Esks have the best D in the league. Keep the turnovers to a minimum and don't abandon the run with the rookie at the controls, and it should be a relatively easy victory.

Eskies - 27
Argos - 12

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
What a fast paced offense to start the game under Franklin. This looks like a completely different team than the one we've been seeing with Nichols.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Impressive stuff from Franklin so far. That opening drive was amazing.

As was standing in with that pressure and completing that 50 yard bomb. Too bad the refs took away a TD on a horrible call.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Ever hear of a stop gap, rookies NEED time to play like this. Ever see the great Anthony Calvillo be thrown in before he was ready? He almost got ran out of the league, he was awful.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Ever hear of a stop gap, rookies NEED time to play like this. Ever see the great Anthony Calvillo be thrown in before he was ready? He almost got ran out of the league, he was awful.

I'm confused? Matt Nichols is the stop gap or Mike Reilly is for when he's finished Franklin takes over?

Matt Nichols is terrible, that's the problem

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
I'm confused? Matt Nichols is the stop gap or Mike Reilly is for when he's finished Franklin takes over?

Matt Nichols is terrible, that's the problem

Nichols was so Franklin didn't have to be the backup to an often injured #1(really not that hard to understand), he was good enough to keep us in the hunt for 1st in the west. Now its clearly benefited the kid to sit and wait and I'm happy Jones panic and throw him into a position to fail. Oh Calvillo stats in his first 5 years..63 TDs and 70 INTS

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Nichols was so Franklin didn't have to be the backup to an often injured #1(really not that hard to understand), he was good enough to keep us in the hunt for 1st in the west. Now its clearly benefited the kid to sit and wait and I'm happy Jones panic and throw him into a position to fail. Oh Calvillo stats in his first 5 years..63 TDs and 70 INTS

Seems like you've set your narrative up to claim you're right no matter what.

Franklin has looked great or at least much better than Nichols every time he's on the field. I guess you can credit that in some convoluted way to Nichols if you want.

He should have started much earlier.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

He didn't you're assuming that's true because you want to support Nichols for some reason.

No one will argue that Nichols should have been the initial choice when Reilly went down, but eventually when it becomes obvious he's terrible, you don't keep starting the terrible QB just to prove a point or something.

And it doesn't matter what Calvillo did or didn't do, Matt Nichols is bad and didn't help anyone.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Officials take a TD away from us now give the Argos at least a FG. Both baaaddd calls. Make that a TD probably

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
He didn't you're assuming that's true because you want to support Nichols for some reason.

No one will argue that Nichols should have been the initial choice when Reilly went down, but eventually when it becomes obvious he's terrible, you don't keep starting the terrible QB just to prove a point or something.

And it doesn't matter what Calvillo did or didn't do, Matt Nichols is bad and didn't help anyone.

I'm not saying Nichols is a great QB or even a great backup option. Its clear Franklin still needs time and I was using Calvillo as a reference on why you need to develop players slowly, I was not comparing him to Nichols.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm not saying Nichols is a great QB or even a great backup option. Its clear Franklin still needs time and I was using Calvillo as a reference on why you need to develop players slowly, I was not comparing him to Nichols.

How was it clear that Franklin still needs time? And what does that even mean?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This isn't hockey and this isn't developing a future starter today, this is "the team needs a competent back-up until the starting QB is back from injury.

Matt Nichols is terrible, leaving him in to confirm he's terrible is stupid.

No one suggests that Franklin should have been the first choice after Reilly, but the reality is that 2 weeks ago Nichols should have been firmly on the Bench, because he's terrible.

Did I mention Matt Nichols is terrible, and didn't help anyone?

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Seems like you've set your narrative up to claim you're right no matter what.

Franklin has looked great or at least much better than Nichols every time he's on the field. I guess you can credit that in some convoluted way to Nichols if you want.

He should have started much earlier.

Not crediting Nichols for Franklin at all and I've never been a fan of Nichols. He simply gets trashed way to much. I was never one of the fans that said he's a better pure passer than Reilly, I was never excited for a game he started but it was the best for the team at the time. I bet the Riders would of gladly taken him to backup Durant but all they had were inexperienced QBs who failed because they simply were not ready.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This isn't hockey and this isn't developing a future starter today, this is "the team needs a competent back-up until the starting QB is back from injury.

No one suggests that Franklin should have been the first choice after Reilly, but the reality is that 2 weeks ago Nichols should have been firmly on the Bench, because he's terrible.

Can you confirm that you just said Nichols was terrible? I don't think Bleeding Oil heard you.:laugh:

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton

This is so incredibly uneducated I will no longer reply to you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce