Pre-Game Talk: Edmonton @ Chicago 15/11/08 6:00PM MST

Status
Not open for further replies.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Might as well get this going.

Season series: The Chicago Blackhawks won two of three games against the Edmonton Oilers last season. Right wing Marian Hossa had a goal and six assists to lead Chicago; captain Jonathan Toews had two goals and three assists.

Oilers team scope: Edmonton will play nine of its next 11 games on the road, with a four-game trip to start the stretch. The Oilers lost their first game since rookie Connor McDavid fractured his left clavicle, but coach Todd McLellan was upbeat following the 2-1 loss against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Rexall Place on Friday. McDavid is out indefinitely, but McLellan's expectations for the Oilers haven't dipped. "We know what we're going into," McLellan told the Oilers website. "We're going into a tough spell on the road, but that's OK. We'll go out and it'll be a new experience for us. We'll play against some hard, heavy teams and we'll work on our game. We'll try to get better." McLellan hasn't announced his goalie after Anders Nilsson made his second straight start Friday.

Blackhawks team scope: Chicago, which did not practice Saturday, has allowed 20 goals in its past five games. All were played without injured defenseman Duncan Keith, who remains out for at least two more weeks recovering from surgery Oct. 20 to repair a meniscal tear in his right knee. The Blackhawks are 4-3-1 in their first eight games without Keith, but all three of their losses in regulation happened on the road. Losing away from United Center is an early-season trend for Chicago, which is 6-1-1 at home and just 1-5-0 on the road. "We've been around for a long time, a lot of the guys in here, so there's no panic at all," defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson told the Blackhawks website after a 4-2 loss at the New Jersey Devils on Friday. "But the League is so even nowadays. We can't get too far behind. We have to find a way to get points in every single game." Right wing Marian Hossa and center Artem Anisimov are each day-to-day with lower-body injuries. No starting goalie has been announced.

http://oilers.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/preview?id=2015020214&navid=DL|EDM|home

Hall-Draisaitl-Ebs
Poo-Nuge-Yak
Hendricks-Letestu-Purcell
Pak-Lander-Miller

Sekera-Nurse
Klefbom-Davidson
Reinhart-Gryba

Probably Talbot

I don't know the lines for today, just a guess, and going off of last game's lines.

Last edited:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Pros:

Oilers historically good against the Blackhawks sometimes for some inexplicable reason.

Blackhawks are playing poorly as of late. (Lost 4 out of their last 5)

Oilers playing well even though they aren't getting the win.

Cons:

McDavid is out :cry:

I think the Oilers win 6-4. Game will be entertaining.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Pros:

Oilers historically good against the Blackhawks sometimes for some inexplicable reason.

Blackhawks are playing poorly as of late. (Lost 4 out of their last 5)

Oilers playing well even though they aren't getting the win.

Cons:

McDavid is out :cry:

I think the Oilers win 6-4. Game will be entertaining.

I hope so. I could go for an exciting game after the stinker that was last game. This team hasn't been very exciting outside of McDavid besides of a few games from the Hall line. Let's hope they come out flying.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
5:30 Mountain

Hometown Hockey game. I am gonna watch an Oilers game in public. Outside of Edmonton.
I am hoping for a lot of goals.
Girlfriend is a Blackhawks fan. If I sleep on the couch tonight, it is worth it.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers see Darling tonight too. Crawford has been struggling the last two games. He's allowed 9 goals on the last 42 shots as a combined total.

My head says Talbot but my heart says Nilsson. He's played really well the last two games, plus he'd probably like to stick it to his former organization-haha.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This is officially a must win situation. No room for errors or excuses. A loss, no matter what the circumstances is just unacceptable. Good teams find a way to win no matter how bad the officiating or number of posts they hit. The Oilers need to find that next level and they have t do it today.

Why?

We just got passed by Anaheim and Calgary and now rest firmly at the bottom of the pacific division. Calgary looks like they are finally getting their poop in a group and we all knew with Anaheim it was just a matter of time. By the end of this month I doubt anyone is talking about how poorly the Pacific division is doing. We are second last in the conference and fourth last in the league. Only one spot better than last years finish and I am sure I am not the only one who would be disappointed if we finish even remotely close to where we did last year.

That's the bad.

The good news is we should be able to take that next step today. We only have a -6 goal differential. I am not sure but for some reason last year at this point I want to say we were closer to -20.

People all around the league seem to be noticing that the Oilers are playing solid NHL level hockey under McLellan. Sometimes that's just people blowing smoke up yer arse to make everyone feel good but in this case I agree. The Oilers are playing solid systematic hockey. They are cheating for offense less and less and generating legitimate scoring chances.

Last year all too often a team would dominate the Oilers for the first half then lay off the gas and give the illusion of the Oilers battling back, or actually being in the game. More and more I am seeing 60 minutes of hockey being played, or as close as most teams manage. All teams have breakdowns or weak periods but the Oilers no longer look completely lost after experiencing those situations.

The Oilers have lost McDavid for a while but Chicago is hurting far worse. They lost their #1 D-man. Even if they still had Keith in the line up this is a team the Oilers have beat, can beat, and have to beat.

They got to play smart, they got to play fast, they have to play "in the opponents equipment", and they have to be relentless for every second they are on the ice.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
We need to pick up some wins down the stretch to remain relevant. Hopefully the refs don't screw the team out of a loser point / win yet again

McDeathbyCheerios*

5-3 Chicago. Bad Reffing all game as well. We come out flat in the first and score all 3 goals in the third and Chicago gets an empty netter.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Panarin vs mcdavid

Hossa gonna hoss.

Not a chance.

I believe Hossa is out. They had Garbutt on the 1st line with Toews the last few games actually.

But our luck...

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 5m5 minutes ago
Duncan Keith (!), Marian Hossa and Artem Anisimov all on the ice for #Blackhawks' morning skate.

Keith will still be out I am sure.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
the whole thing rests on whether or not Chicago plays their backup or starter. If they play their backup, guaranteed loss and likely shutout.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
the whole thing rests on whether or not Chicago plays their backup or starter. If they play their backup, guaranteed loss and likely shutout.

And Crawford was pulled the other night so very possible Darling gets the nod today.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Oilers will probably lose all the next away games, this week. They will get pushed around, have the play dictated to them and make many gaffes. By fluke, they may win a game or pick up OT points.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I wouldn't mind seeing a real tight 1- 0 loss with a couple momentum killing calls thrown our way, then holding on to get scored on instantly in 3 on 3 after we get that final game ending soft call penalty in overtime--Refs waive off the loser point.

That's hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad