Proposal: Edmonton - Carolina

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I love how everyone keeps talking about skinner and his 1 year remaining like he’s the main piece or something.

I don’t think this trade is as crazy as everyone thinks. Not saying you trade away star players for cap relief but if they believe svech is cant miss star and can resign skinner for under 7....still doubtful obv but it’s not that crazy

It’s still pretty crazy. Again Edmonton takes on 100% of the risk. Carolina fills it’s biggest hole and still gets to pick top ten. Edmonton gets a guy they can maybe re-sign, maybe can’t, and is left holding their wieners hoping Svechnikov isn’t a bust.

Draisaitl is a known quantity, a back to back 70+ point player. A team wanting to compete now doesn’t throw him away for a mystery box - I wouldn’t move him for 2nd overall straight up and 10th overall is a big overpayment for Skinner.

Under 7? He’s coming off a sub 50 point season. Try 5.5 or less.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
What about:

2nd OA + Faulk + Ryan + Canes’ 2nd for Sekera + Draisaitl + 10th OA?

Canes get their top center and Oilers get Svechnikov with McDavid, and roll with McDavid/RNH/Ryan as the top 9 centers. They also get to remove Sekera’s contract and add Faulk to their top pairing.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Skinner, 2 OA for Draisaitl, 10 OA

Carolina needs 1C and gets him, Edmonton gets McDavid - Svechnikov connection for the next billion years and another top6 winger.
That is a terrible deal for Edmonton. I like Skinner and I think he is a fine 1st line winger. But Draisaitl for this? You're going to have to give up a major piece on Defense to make that happen.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
What about:

Canes get their top center and Oilers get Svechnikov with McDavid, and roll with McDavid/RNH/Ryan as the top 9 centers. They also get to remove Sekera’s contract and add Faulk to their top pairing.

Ryan is a ufa, Sekera won’t want to return to Carolina and lastly, no thanks.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What about:

Faulk shouldn’t be anywhere near anyone’s top pairing. Ryan is a free agent and that’s selling really low on Sekera.

Draisaitl > 2nd overall
10th overall >> Faulk
Sekera >= 2nd (depends on if he bounces back or not)

Reactions: TrentonF

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Let's be clear on this. No team, Oilers included, move a 22-year-old 70+ point forward signed with term for picks and maybes. Is Edmonton supposed to perpetually rebuild? This trade sets the team back and bluntly does not offer the value it should. If you want a player of Draisaitl's caliber look at the piece on your team you want to trade the least.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Faulk shouldn’t be anywhere near anyone’s top pairing. Ryan is a free agent and that’s selling really low on Sekera.

Draisaitl > 2nd overall
10th overall >> Faulk
Sekera >= 2nd (depends on if he bounces back or not)

Just threw out a proposal, thanks for the reply. I just tried to think of Edmonton’s needs. Svechnikov would be a solid add.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Just threw out a proposal, thanks for the reply. I just tried to think of Edmonton’s needs. Svechnikov would be a solid add.

Sure he would. Just not at the expense of Leon.

Moving Leon and 10th overall and getting an 18 year old kid that I would return to junior for another year and Faulk - with spare parts on either side - sets us a long, long way back.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Why do so many posters keep sending players who are headed to UFA to the oilers
I said it in another Drai thread. We keep getting asked for him yet when we ask for more then UFAs and say only for a dman we get told he sucks, is a winger etc

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
What if 2nd overall is a Yakupov? What if 2nd overall is a RNH, good but not as good as Drai.

As others have said all the risk is by the Oilers. One thing not mentioned is oilers play in the west, specifically the pacific. Need Drai for the Kopitars, Getzlafs, Thorntons etc.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Svechnikov is going to be a better player, than Draisaitl.

This kind of thinking kills teams. The minors and Europe are littered with top 5 draft picks that never ended up being as good as expected. Even concensus first overall picks bust. Even if he ends up being better.. How much better would he be than a large 70+ point player? Is it worth the risk to find out if he can be an 80 point guy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad