Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Zach Hyman signs with the Oilers (7 years, $5.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Blackley

Nov 7, 2021
He’s currently 29 and will be 35 when this contract expires. Why are you exaggerating? To make your weak point seem more valid?

Most Oiler fans expect the final 2 years of this contract to be unfavourable to the team and can live with that.

29 going on 30, same difference IMO. Anyways you seemed to either miss my point or haven't been bothered to watch Hyman before he signed with the oilers, either way time for an education lesson:

Hyman's bread and butter is his speed, he uses this to outrace guys to the puck (one of best in the league at it), the issue is once his speed is diminished, hes no longer useful player for anyone. Hyman has already had two significant knee/leg injuries the past 3 years (one was a ACL injury, other a knee sprain), and he plays a reckless style, the wear/tear is bound to catch up to the guy by the time he's 32/33, not his final two years of his contact.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Not really, everyone on the mains was shitting on the leafs top 4 forwards after the first 6 games "haha Hyman has more goals than any of you" and a bunch of other nonsense, that's the real reason this was bumped.

You know why people do that stuff to Leafs fans? Because of the many years of bumping threads for dumbass reasons like you just described.

It's not everyone else, trust me.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
It IS a statistical analysis, sorry. And it's fundamentally flawed due to the low sample size. It doesn't matter if they're advanced stats or not. You're making conclusions and projections based on low sample size, AND despite significant flags :
  • Hyman has a 0.957 PDO without McDavid. 33 GF% vs 57.8 xGF%. I'll let you guess which one is most likely to be the closest to what it will be towards the season if he spends significant time without McDavid at 5v5.
  • Despite having terrible PDO and low on-ice shooting percentage, he has 4 goals and 3 primary assists at 5v5. His on-ice sh% is 1.5% lower than the lowest he's had over a full season in his career.
  • He has an excellent xGA/60 without McDavid, but his goalie shits the bed on those scenarios so far this season (hence the low GF%) with a 91.7% sv% despite a lot of the shots being low danger.
  • Hyman + McDavid have higher xGF/60 than McDavid w/o Hyman. This is not reflected in GF/60 because of on-ice shooting %. Obviously, this is NOT going to be fully reflected in GF/60 because, guess what : When McDavid is not with Hyman at 5v5, it's because he's with Drai. Hyman will never come close to having the finishing ability of Drai.
  • And I'm probably forgetting/omitting a few
So, basically, the entirety (well, a good part) of your argument revolves around Hyman being a detriment because he's not better than Draisaitl.

As a sens fan I would love .917 goaltending

Reactions: Kairi Zaide

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You know why people do that stuff to Leafs fans? Because of the many years of bumping threads for dumbass reasons like you just described.

It's not everyone else, trust me.
I don't think that is true. Most posters who are fans of other teams couldn't care less about the Leafs. There is just a small contingent who are obsessed and and make childish posts. There are Leaf fans who do the same in other threads too.

Reactions: nobody

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
29 going on 30, same difference IMO. Anyways you seemed to either miss my point or haven't been bothered to watch Hyman before he signed with the oilers, either way time for an education lesson:

Hyman's bread and butter is his speed, he uses this to outrace guys to the puck (one of best in the league at it), the issue is once his speed is diminished, hes no longer useful player for anyone. Hyman has already had two significant knee/leg injuries the past 3 years (one was a ACL injury, other a knee sprain), and he plays a reckless style, the wear/tear is bound to catch up to the guy by the time he's 32/33, not his final two years of his contact.
That is the last 2-3 years of his contract. Either he'll be useful 3rd line player or possibly on ltir if it's injuries.

The great thing about him is he's not just a scorer so in a grinding roll and also as a PK fixture he should be just a good overpaid 3rd liner for last bit of his career.
Also we're all just making guesses, who knows he could be just fine with no leg injuries to hamper his speed.
God knows, love him on our team he's been pretty much as advertised. Don't Remeber the last time we had a player like him in our top 6.

Beauty goal last night with Mark stone literally on his back.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Don't miss him at all, was sick of him always being stapled to Matthews. I am happy he is playing for someone else. He is thriving, good for him. I have moved on, and glad he is not on the Leafs anymore. Good luck to him and the Oilers the rest of the way. Hope we can somehow meet in the Stanley Cup final.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That is the last 2-3 years of his contract. Either he'll be useful 3rd line player or possibly on ltir if it's injuries.

The great thing about him is he's not just a scorer so in a grinding roll and also as a PK fixture he should be just a good overpaid 3rd liner for last bit of his career.
Also we're all just making guesses, who knows he could be just fine with no leg injuries to hamper his speed.
God knows, love him on our team he's been pretty much as advertised. Don't Remeber the last time we had a player like him in our top 6.

Beauty goal last night with Mark stone literally on his back.

And he has more talent than he is often given credit to have. The average 3rd liner does not beat Letang like this and then snipes a shot past Jarry. Hyman is a beauty.

Reactions: McDoused

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
And he has more talent than he is often given credit to have. The average 3rd liner does not beat Letang like this and then snipes a shot past Jarry. Hyman is a beauty.

Yeah for sure just speaking to his versatility being a benefit for doing different roles when he declines in the last couple years. If he does. Again making guesses
Great player and person

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
He will play with mcdaddy, and be a superstar ! I think we haven't seen the best of him yet. He's still building chemistry.

How does he do in the playoffs ? Seems to play a strong game for that ?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

You'd think so, yet strangely no. 5 points in his last 19 playoff games. One point in seven games last year.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Don't miss him at all, was sick of him always being stapled to Matthews. I am happy he is playing for someone else. He is thriving, good for him. I have moved on, and glad he is not on the Leafs anymore. Good luck to him and the Oilers the rest of the way. Hope we can somehow meet in the Stanley Cup final.

Why though? He certainly wasn't holding Matthews back or anything like that. Seems like an odd thing to hate about the guy.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Why though? He certainly wasn't holding Matthews back or anything like that. Seems like an odd thing to hate about the guy.

It's a strange thought, and one most Leafs fans don't share. He was a very good player for us, and an even better person. He helped make the lines he played on better, and served a useful role.... Of course when he was first attached to Matthews line, he wasn't nearly as useful then, and people couldn't see what he could contribute... it took him time, but he grew into that role, a really cerebral player. He's not a great player on his own, but he's good enough, and smart enough to compliment great players, and take advantage of what he does have, to make it work. Perhaps some posters are still stuck in the period when he wasn't as useful, and stubbornly can't admit they were wrong about early grievances?? Most fans would have loved to have kept him, just not at that price.... it just didn't work for us. Happy he's playing well, and having success, he deserves it. Obviously most Leafs fans are happy too, with how we are doing.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Honestly, I don’t have a good reason for you. Never thought he was talented enough. Turns out I was wrong, I am still glad we moved on. I am glad you’re happy with him, no problem with that.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
This guy has 2nd liner talent but plays the game like an A+ first liner. So he doesn’t score 1+ PPG but absolutely is worth his weight in gold.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He will play with mcdaddy, and be a superstar ! I think we haven't seen the best of him yet. He's still building chemistry.

Never really performed all that great. One year he was playing with a torn ACL and last year he was coming back fresh off another knee injury as well. So he could turn the corner.

Reactions: TML1990

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Honestly, I don’t have a good reason for you. Never thought he was talented enough. Turns out I was wrong, I am still glad we moved on. I am glad you’re happy with him, no problem with that.
Fair enough. Sometimes a change up of whats working makes sense as fans, and we both know that feeling well with each team's lack of playoff success of late. The great thing is sometimes players just fit in better on different teams and different situations so lets hope that's the case for both fanbases moving forward.

Definitely happy with Hyman so far in Edmonton. His mix of work ethic, size, and skating along with enough skill to play with top players is very refreshing given what we've rolled out on McDavid and Draisaitl's lines for quite some time. He's still going to frustrate you from time to time because he's not a star and so he will miss on some chances that stars wouldn't, but his net value to Edmonton has been massive compared to what they've had in that place in recent years.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Really can't believe we just had to let Hyman go - he was one of few that played with heart on this team

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Any Leafs fan talking bad about Hyms is no real Leafs fan. I hate the Oilers as much as anyone but I still want to see guys like Hyman and McDavid succeed. These guys grew up bleeding blue and white and they still do and as a fellow Leafs diehard, I can't hate on my brethren, even if they're playing for another team.

Guys like Hyman, Kessel, Kadri are absolutely enamored in Toronto to this day and I think it will stay that way for the rest of their careers and lives. They played a massive role in helping build this generation of Leafs hockey. Respect them.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Oilers are lucky to have him. Sour grapes are just sour grapes.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Any Leafs fan talking bad about Hyms is no real Leafs fan. I hate the Oilers as much as anyone but I still want to see guys like Hyman and McDavid succeed. These guys grew up bleeding blue and white and they still do and as a fellow Leafs diehard, I can't hate on my brethren, even if they're playing for another team.

Good post.

Last edited:

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

Guys like Hyman, Kessel, Kadri are absolutely enamored in Toronto to this day and I think it will stay that way for the rest of their careers and lives. They played a massive role in helping build this generation of Leafs hockey. Respect them.

while this post has a nice sentiment around it, the bolded seems strange to me.

Are you saying Mcdavid and Hyman are secretly die hard Leafs fans while playing for the Oilers? i highly doubt that.

By that logic, it would stand to reason that Matthews is still secretly a die hard Coyotes fan while playin for the Leafs, would it not?

Reactions: Stubu

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014

"...either way time for an education lesson"

Seriously? Who talks like this? Even worse, following it up with such reductive and facile analysis. He's a great skater, but to say that's the only thing that makes him successful is silly. He knows how to be a net front presence (tipping pucks, tying up defencemen, screening/distracting the goalie), present a target for passes (awesome when you're playing with elite puck distributors), win board battles at both ends of the ice, and kill penalties using great positioning. None of that requires speed, and he's competent enough that he can still be an effective middle-sixer even if his skating declines.

He also didn't get to the AHL until he was 23, so not a lot of wear and tear in those early years. As for being reckless, if he was before, he sure isn't now. Sure, he plays in the tough areas, but he's not out there with his head down or launching himself at players.

Education lesson. :eyeroll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad