Proposal: Edm - Van

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Pretty simple deal

Brandon Sutter for Kris Russell

Vancouver saves almost $400,000 in cap space and almost $3 million in real dollars. With Petterson - Horvat - Gaudette down the middle Sutter is a 4th liner.

Edmonton gets a 1 year stop gap 3C as he’d play higher in our lineup than in Vancouvers.

Yay or nay?

Reactions: gianni

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I’d say nay as I think Sutter anywhere higher than 4th line is a problem plus I think Russell is still more effective as a player and therefore easier to offload.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Pretty simple deal

Brandon Sutter for Kris Russell

Vancouver saves almost $400,000 in cap space and almost $3 million in real dollars. With Petterson - Horvat - Gaudette down the middle Sutter is a 4th liner.

Edmonton gets a 1 year stop gap 3C as he’d play higher in our lineup than in Vancouvers.

Yay or nay?

Not awful, but 3,000,000 as his cap hit for a buy out is troubling. If we can't move Sutter for less cap hit (400,000 isn't a huge savings for us), we will probably just buy him out and save 2.4 ish million this year.

If we fail to move Sutter elsewhere, AND bomb on one or two of Tanev, Stecher or Tryamkin, then...sure I guess.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
What's wrong with Sutter?

I would make that swap as an Oilers fan if he is an upgrade over Sheahan.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Honestly? Not much in terms of play, but he's being forced out by Beagle (we're committed to him longer and he's cheaper) and Gaudette. His cap his doesn't help his situation either.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

I don't think he fills the role Sheahan does as well. Sheahan for all his warts is an eliter PKer and excellent faceoff man. Sutter is a reasonable option to upgrade Haas and maybe take some even strength minutes away but he doesn't fill the niche the team needs as well as Sheahan does. He would be a solid compliment and insurance though. I think Russell is far more valuable than HF thinks and despite NHL GM's also probably thinking he's a touch overpaid in terms of caphit I could see his actually cost in terms of dollars offsetting that downfall for many owners given the strain on revenue Covid has caused. Sutter's injury history and inconsistent production in Vancouver IMO makes him a far less valuable asset. At least with Russell you know he's fairly durable for a dman and can fill a valuable role on the PK and anchor a 3rd pair. With Sutter you don't know what you're getting in terms of health and production even if 30ish points is still a reasonable bet IF mostly healthy but the reality is he hasn't been and as such has average a little over 18 points per year over his 5 seasons. That's an exceptionally poor return for 4.35 million.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I’d say nay as I think Sutter anywhere higher than 4th line is a problem plus I think Russell is still more effective as a player and therefore easier to offload.

Yes Russell is the more reliable player but Sutter is a right shot center and we have a greater need for another for our bottom 6. It’s just moving depth. As far as moving Russell with a flat cap and most teams meeting the floor already and Russell partial NTC I just think this is about as good as we will get. I’m assuming Russell would accept Vancouver due to location. Jones takes Russell spot and we have another option at pivot on an expiring deal.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
I don't think he fills the role Sheahan does as well. Sheahan for all his warts is an eliter PKer and excellent faceoff man. Sutter is a reasonable option to upgrade Haas and maybe take some even strength minutes away but he doesn't fill the niche the team needs as well as Sheahan does. He would be a solid compliment and insurance though. I think Russell is far more valuable than HF thinks and despite NHL GM's also probably thinking he's a touch overpaid in terms of caphit I could see his actually cost in terms of dollars offsetting that downfall for many owners given the strain on revenue Covid has caused. Sutter's injury history and inconsistent production in Vancouver IMO makes him a far less valuable asset. At least with Russell you know he's fairly durable for a dman and can fill a valuable role on the PK and anchor a 3rd pair. With Sutter you don't know what you're getting in terms of health and production even if 30ish points is still a reasonable bet IF mostly healthy but the reality is he hasn't been and as such has average a little over 18 points per year over his 5 seasons. That's an exceptionally poor return for 4.35 million.
Sutter is a top end faceoff and PKer. It sucks how unlucky hes been with injuries but had one of his best seasons here before he was hurt and this season he was one of our better players before he got hurt again.
If healthy hes still capable of 15-20 goals while still being elite in other areas. With that being said, the team needs cap now so I think if hes not moved for a pick with some retention, hes prolly going to be bought out.
Not sure of the Oilers cap situation but if Sutter can stay healthy he should be an upgrade as a 3c. Would Sutter at 2.5-3 mill make it more attractive? Maybe send a 4th or something?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Yes Russell is the more reliable player but Sutter is a right shot center and we have a greater need for another for our bottom 6. It’s just moving depth. As far as moving Russell with a flat cap and most teams meeting the floor already and Russell partial NTC I just think this is about as good as we will get. I’m assuming Russell would accept Vancouver due to location. Jones takes Russell spot and we have another option at pivot on an expiring deal.
I’m on board with moving Russell and letting Jones take his spot but at this point is Sutter any better than Sheahan, Haas, or Khaira? I don’t think so. I think we can dump Russell without having to take back someone as expensive and injury prone as Sutter.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
How is Russel these days? We are in no way married to Sutter, but we need to trade players like this for immediate cap relief. I’d prefer to trade Sutter for a late round pick with 1mil retained I think as this would save us 3.375mil in cap space this season. Unless Edmonton is retaining a bit of cap space on Russell I don’t see major incentive.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yup, it really comes down to Sutter vs Sheahan as 3C and how much Sheahan camp is asking.

If Sheahan is looking for 2M+ or a longer term deal (3yr) then I am good with walking away and swapping Russell for Sutter. If VAN can retain salary making it 3M cap hit then it's an easy yes from me.

We fill a hole, make room for Jones and save 1M

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
How is Russel these days? We are in no way married to Sutter, but we need to trade players like this for immediate cap relief. I’d prefer to trade Sutter for a late round pick with 1mil retained I think as this would save us 3.375mil in cap space this season. Unless Edmonton is retaining a bit of cap space on Russell I don’t see major incentive.
Yes, EDM would not be retaining on Russell. We are in no position to provide cap relief to anyone.

Russell is a #5/#6 Dman who can play both sides. Oilers fans feel Caleb Jones is ready to be inked into the lineup making one of Benning or Russell expendable.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Yes, EDM would not be retaining on Russell. We are in no position to provide cap relief to anyone.

Russell is a #5/#6 Dman who can play both sides. Oilers fans feel Caleb Jones is ready to be inked into the lineup making one of Benning or Russell expendable.

Fair enough, I figured as much. We need to trade one of Sutter or Eriksson this offseason to make the cap work I figure (if were going to re-sign all of Toffoli, Markstrom, and Tanev). I’d still consider a straight swap assuming we could find a
landing spot for Eriksson, but otherwise Sutter should be a much easier player to trade.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think the deal is quite fair. I think Sutter brings a decent game to help us out at center.

With that being said, I really want to see what Russell can do in the playoffs this year. If he can be a solid vet on our backend I'd be a bit hesitant to move him. It's a fairly young backend that we have and I hate to move a guy that steps up come playoff time.

Something to revisit once the season is done though. If others step up and there is a chance to add another center I think we do it.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Yup, it really comes down to Sutter vs Sheahan as 3C and how much Sheahan camp is asking.

If Sheahan is looking for 2M+ or a longer term deal (3yr) then I am good with walking away and swapping Russell for Sutter. If VAN can retain salary making it 3M cap hit then it's an easy yes from me.

Sheahan will be lucky to get what he got this year now that there’s a flat cap. I’ve always liked Sutter but his skating has always been average at best and it’s not getting better in his 30’s.

With the cap squeeze there are going to be far better options at 3C in UFA that will come with a cheaper price tag then Sutter, even with some retention.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I like Russel as a player and he's grown on me. I'd say he even got 'good' value on his contract (which I hated at the time) but he is still paid much more than guys like Bear, Jones, Lagesson, Benning and I'd like his contract of our books for cap relief. I'd be happier with Russel for a draft pick to be honest. Just to clear him. I'm fine letting his spot be taken for the playoffs by one of our outside D like Lagesson, Green, Jones or Bouchard.

Reactions: gianni

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
I proposed this same deal about a year ago, and still think it's a good "change of scenery/better fit" kind of trade that would benefit both teams. From a current Canucks perspective though, their #1 priority is cap relief, so they would likely want to unload Brandon Sutter w/ no incoming salary (if possible). If not, this would be an okay second option, as the Canucks do lack defensive depth, and sorely need to reallocate funds into the defense.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I proposed this same deal about a year ago, and still think it's a good "change of scenery/better fit" kind of trade that would benefit both teams. From a current Canucks perspective though, their #1 priority is cap relief, so they would likely want to unload Brandon Sutter w/ no incoming salary (if possible). If not, this would be an okay second option, as the Canucks do lack defensive depth, and sorely need to reallocate funds into the defense.
I think many teams would be wishing for that 1st option this offseason but may have to settle for the 2nd.
Not many teams would be willing to take on high salary contracts this offseason so a shuffle would be the best.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015

I like the proposed trade since Sutter is a UFA at the end of this season. Oilers will need space next season to re-sign RNH, Yamamoto and Benson.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Canuck fan preferring to keep Sutter at least to start the year. Gaudette is not a match up centre and Horvat is taking on too much. Sutter can spell Horvat, somewhat, if he had recovered from his injuries.

Beagle is the centre to move from the Canucks.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad