Confirmed with Link: [EDM/SJ] Edmonton trades Kyle Bigos to San Jose for Lee Moffie

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
You people are slacking
2dHNVgS.gif

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm sometimes amazed at how many prospects I've never heard of given how much time I spend on these boards. I don't know how the scouts do it sometimes.

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
I was never really clear on the details, 3 years or 4 years, but to me a junior player going back into the draft is not the same as a college player becoming a free agent.

There's a big difference in the situations of Stoll and J Schultz (or Bigos and Moffie).

There are other differences as well - when you draft a player in junior, you keep his rights for 2 years, for college players you keep his rights longer. College players cannot sign any deal without losing their NCAA eligibility, junior players can attend camp/get 9 game tryouts and still be sent back to junior. In other words, in several respects junior players have more rights under the CBA than college players, in one respect they have less

It's a compromise, not a loophole, that's why it's still in the CBA.

nye

Mar 25, 2007
Siberia
Well junior players can be free agents too if they're old enough.

I know it's confusing, but at the root it's a very different situation than the Schultz/Wheeler one and much closer to the Stoll one, even if they're free agents rather than being redrafted.

I'd think it would be career suicide for a junior player to refuse contracts with two drafting clubs. Has anyone of any note ever done that?

I'm thinking the large difference is the college players deciding where they want to play. It undermines the process of drafting and development.

Not that the draft is the only way it could be done, but it is the system in place for the NHL.

There are other differences as well - when you draft a player in junior, you keep his rights for 2 years, for college players you keep his rights longer. College players cannot sign any deal without losing their NCAA eligibility, junior players can attend camp/get 9 game tryouts and still be sent back to junior. In other words, in several respects junior players have more rights under the CBA than college players, in one respect they have less

It's a compromise, not a loophole, that's why it's still in the CBA.

Yeah, I suppose so. Just sucks to be the team one of these college players walks away from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad