Proposal: EDM - SEA

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
As we are approaching the trade deadline there are rumors the Oilers are looking to make some deals to make a serious run at the Cup this year. One target would be a Center to play on the 3rd line.

:edmonton

Alex Wennberg C @50% - $2.25 Million (pending UFA)

:seattle

Retain 50% of Wennberg's contract until the end of the season ($4.5 Million AAV)
Connor Brown (pure dump to help the Oilers fit Wennberg under the cap) $775,000 pending UFA
Oilers 1st round pick 2024
Oilers mid prospect or mid pick, dealer's choice

Wennberg is a solid defensive forward who can skate, block shots and win 50% of his face offs. Has some offensive upside as well. Exactly what the Oilers need in an extended playoff run.

Reactions: McDoused

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If I’m paying a 1st plus for a pure rental, I’m aiming a lot higher than Wennberg. And trading Brown doesn’t save us any cap whatsoever.

I like Wennberg, if the Oilers give up too much a pick can come back from Seattle, but the pieces are there.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Connor Brown at 775k saves us nothing lol, you’re better off sending Janmark, neither can score but Janmark makes 1m vs league min.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
20 points in 50 games is not worth a 1st and a prospect.
Go look at bjugstad trade if you want to see comparable

I am totally okay with the Oilers offering less. I think Wennberg is better than Bjugstad, but I get your point.

Connor Brown at 775k saves us nothing lol, you’re better off sending Janmark, neither can score but Janmark makes 1m vs league min.

I am A- okay with offering Janmark instead of Brown.

I think Wennberg is a great target for the Oilers. Great defensive player.

But I don't know if he's going to be fetching a 1st at the deadline, a 2nd+3rd type of offer might do it and save the Oilers 1st for another acquisition.

A 2nd + 3rd would be great asset management IMHO. Wennberg at 50% is a hell of an add for the Oilers, giving them depth down the middle at a time of the year when you need it. He can do everything you could ask of a 3C and do it well.

He is currently the 2C is Seattle if I am not mistaken. Probably playing a bit out of position, but Seattle fans might disagree with me?

He'd fit the bill for the Oilers and then they can get guys like MacKenzie Blackwood for a back up and some kind of RND upgrade. I guess maybe that is where the 1st would go if you guys are right.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He is currently the 2C is Seattle if I am not mistaken. Probably playing a bit out of position, but Seattle fans might disagree with me?

The centers are conventionally listed as

Beniers
Wennberg
Gourde

But Gourde's line is the most important line so it doesn't really mean anything. Wennberg plays the most all situations minutes of all forwards but a hair less than the other two centers at 5v5.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The centers are conventionally listed as

Beniers
Wennberg
Gourde

But Gourde's line is the most important line so it doesn't really mean anything. Wennberg plays the most all situations minutes of all forwards but a hair less than the other two centers at 5v5.

Was I way off the asking price for Wennberg? Would a 2nd and a 3rd do it with Janmark to help even the dollars out be enough?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Ekholm would like to say hi. Making a statement that is so wrong doesn't look good. Looks like it is an attempt to troll.

Ekholm does not say hi. He wasn’t even 1 year into a 4 year contract at the time. Not a rental.

I was wrong, though. I thought Robert Lang was an impending UFA going into the lockout. Through some Google searches, I have since discovered he wasn’t. Neither were Kyle Quincey nor Mathieu Schneider nor Chris Chelios.

So, in over a quarter century in charge of NHL clubs, Ken Holland has never traded a 1st for rental at the deadline. That can’t be unintentional.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Rather get Schultz or Eberle back at cheaper prices.

I can say as a fan of both clubs that Wennberg is the better player, and would do more for the Oil than Schultz or Ebs. And I don't think he'd cost a 1st either. Schultz and Ebs would be minor upgrades but even with retention it's too hard to make them fit, alongside the bigger upgrades.

Now the big difference makers for Edmonton would be Larsson or Gourde. Either would cost a 1st for sure, likely 1st+. They'd be in keeping with Holland acquiring players with term at the deadline.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I can say as a fan of both clubs that Wennberg is the better player, and would do more for the Oil than Schultz or Ebs. And I don't think he'd cost a 1st either. Schultz and Ebs would be minor upgrades but even with retention it's too hard to make them fit, alongside the bigger upgrades.

Now the big difference makers for Edmonton would be Larsson or Gourde. Either would cost a 1st for sure, likely 1st+. They'd be in keeping with Holland acquiring players with term at the deadline.

Thanks for the perspective. Interesting.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
A 1st round pick for 50% retained Wennberg?

As a Kraken fan I hope Francis accepts and imediatly goes like this...
giphy.gif

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
A 1st round pick for 50% retained Wennberg?

As a Kraken fan I hope Francis accepts and imediatly goes like this...
giphy.gif

Yeah, and I really like Wennberg. As majormajor stated above a 2 and 3 seems fair, even.
No doubt he would help EDM in their playoff run and shore up that middle six nicely.

Seattle does this because if he and Gourde both stick around for several years it will block the C prospects from meaningful time.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, and I really like Wennberg. As majormajor stated above a 2 and 3 seems fair, even.
No doubt he would help EDM in their playoff run and shore up that middle six nicely.

Seattle does this because if he and Gourde both stick around for several years it will block the C prospects from meaningful time.

I think Wennberg is underrated. But there are still probably at least 5-10 better players available at the deadline and there won't be more 1sts traded than that. So a 2nd+3rd seems closer to me.

I think the only reason Seattle does this is because they really want more 2nds and 3rds. They've done really well with picks like Evans, Rehkopf, Nyman, etc...

I don't think having two solid veteran centers is too many. Between Wright, Wennberg, Gourde, and Beniers, someone would have to play wing if everyone is healthy, but that's fine. There's still room for all of them to get good ice time if Wennberg stays.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Ekholm does not say hi. He wasn’t even 1 year into a 4 year contract at the time. Not a rental.

I was wrong, though. I thought Robert Lang was an impending UFA going into the lockout. Through some Google searches, I have since discovered he wasn’t. Neither were Kyle Quincey nor Mathieu Schneider nor Chris Chelios.

So, in over a quarter century in charge of NHL clubs, Ken Holland has never traded a 1st for rental at the deadline. That can’t be unintentional
My bad I just skimmed thru the post and never read it fully, apologies

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille