Proposal: Edm-pitt

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sprong is waiver eligible. His value isn't as high as you think it is.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pulju still has hope of living up to his draft placement. Sprong is living up to where he was drafted.

Is that a sarcastic backhanded comment...or is that your honest to god best effort analysis? If so...that's...sad...

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Sprong is older, smaller, worst stats, not waiver-eligible.... um... why do the Oilers do this? Is there a 1st attached?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think either team would do this, the Oilers would be downgrading in terms of prospects and the Penguins are buying high on a guy who is struggling. I'm not interested in trading a good NHL ready prospect for a guy who is struggling, and I doubt the Oilers want to downgrade their prospect for nothing.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sprong is older, smaller, worst stats, not waiver-eligible.... um... why do the Oilers do this? Is there a 1st attached?

Not sure how you're calculating that. Small sample size, but on a per game basis Sprong's been more productive than Puljujarvi since the beginning of last NHL season. .43 P/G > .29 P/G.

Sprong's played a lot fewer games over the last 2 years but he's also playing fewer minutes on a much better, deeper team. Hardly controversial to suggest that opportunity's a lot harder to come by in Pittsburgh than Edmonton these days.

Reactions: Grabner

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Not sure how you're calculating that. Small sample size, but on a per game basis Sprong's been more productive than Puljujarvi since the beginning of last NHL season. .43 P/G > .29 P/G.

Sprong's played a lot fewer games over the last 2 years but he's also playing fewer minutes on a much better, deeper team. Hardly controversial to suggest that opportunity's a lot harder to come by in Pittsburgh than Edmonton these days.

JP doesn't play on the top-6 either. He's usually buried and is saddle with elite centers like Ryan Strome and wingers like Lucic (1 goal in the last 46 games!). My point stands... JP produces more.. their ATOI was similar last season. Sprong actually played 30 seconds per game more but that's moot.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think people are overestimating the difference between Puljujarvi and Sprong. Sprong plays on a very deep team in arguably their deepest position, Puljujarvi plays on a shallow team in an overall weak position. Puljujarvi has played in 100 games already to this point because the Oilers haven't had good forward depth. Puljujarvi has consistently played 3rd line minutes over his career and has averaged about 3 minutes more a game over Sprong just because of the team he is on, just looking at their production ignores that.

Puljujarvi has been extremely unimpressive over his career so far. There isn't much of a reason for the Oilers to do the deal in the OP, but let's not pretend Puljujarvi is something he isn't. If he wasn't a 4th overall pick, no one would even be looking at him. If the Oilers were smart, they would have sent him down to the AHL and let him dominate the AHL before coming up to the NHL.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
JP doesn't play on the top-6 either. He's usually buried and is saddle with elite centers like Ryan Strome and wingers like Lucic (1 goal in the last 46 games!). My point stands... JP produces more.. their ATOI was similar last season. Sprong actually played 30 seconds per game more but that's moot.

This year Puljujarvi's had 54% o-zone starts playing primarily with Strome and Lucic (haven't checked myself, just using your post). Sprong's had 34% o-zone starts playing primarily with Cullen and Sheahan.

Over the last 2 seasons, Sprong's averaged 11:11 a game. Puljujarvi's averaged 13:17.

Reactions: Grabner

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This year Puljujarvi's had 54% o-zone starts playing primarily with Strome and Lucic (haven't checked myself, just using your post). Sprong's had 34% o-zone starts playing primarily with Cullen and Sheahan.

Over the last 2 seasons, Sprong's averaged 11:11 a game. Puljujarvi's averaged 13:17.

That's not even entirely accurate. Puljujarvi's two most common centers are Strome at 37:40 and Draisaitl at 30:57. From the looks of it, the two most common wingers on the other side are Caggiula at 26:52 and Rieder at 26:16.

His two most common linemates last year were Lucic at 465:51 and McDavid at 256:51.

So I'm not sure Puljujarvi hasn't been put in a position to play with some elite centers.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I would not use this year's stats as it is early and Draisaitl has been HORRIBAD. He only woke up in the Pens game.

Anyways, you've convinced me. Sprong is better. Keep him :)

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I mean that’s a net win for the Penguins but it makes little sense to do. Pens are well stocked at RW.

If Sprong goes out, I’d expect them to target a similar NHL ready but underperforming RHD or LW prospect.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Nah.

Silly for the Pens to do this and I’ve watched enough of Puljujarvi to not feel enticed at all.

Sprong is the only prospect in their system and on their current roster that has the potential to be a heavy volume shooter.

If he pans out, he will basically bring the one element their roster has been missing for years.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I would not use this year's stats as it is early and Draisaitl has been HORRIBAD. He only woke up in the Pens game.

Anyways, you've convinced me. Sprong is better. Keep him :)

I'm fine with him being a Penguin for awhile.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It's not like JP has done anything of note in edmonton. JP's value isn't high either.
Pulju at age 19 last year scored 12 goals in 65GP. Sprong at age 19 was in QMJHL.
JP's value is higher than Sprong. Sprong is more comparable to Tyler friggin Benson.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
It's not like JP has done anything of note in edmonton. JP's value isn't high either.

I don't see why the Oilers would even entertain trading JP. He's big, fast, skilled, wicked hard shot, has excellent vision/passing (the hockey IQ questions are from people who haven't watched him). His flaw? Can't protect the puck worth crap. And very iffy board battles.

Jets fans rip Laine for similar things but JP makes Laine puck protection skill look like Crosby... you touch JP and he coughs up the puck. Supposedly JP is a Bandy player and that's how they play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad