Confirmed with Link: [EDM/OTT] Tyler Ennis for 2021 5th Round Pick

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The Oilers don't have an Erik Haula lying around to trade for a Trochek.

Trochek is a bigger gamble than AA. His contract isn't good and his falloff offensively on a decent team is actually much more worrying than AA's falloff on a bad team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Trochek is a bigger gamble than AA. His contract isn't good and his falloff offensively on a decent team is actually much more worrying than AA's falloff on a bad team.

It's not even like his numbers are that much better than Haula's either, Haula is scoring at a higher goals per game.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's not even like his numbers are that much better than Haula's either, Haula is scoring at a higher goals per game.

Trochek might have followed Horcoff's career arc, except compressed into 7 years.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oh THAT, Tyler Ennis. I was getting hits on the basketball player all this time. ;)

sis

boom

bah

….

…..

jk, of course, but figured you guys could use a chuckle.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Ennis is having a pretty solid season... last year he was only so-so on the Laffs.

Keep in mind he was on a 29 pt pace playing ~10 minutes per game on that Laffs team in 18/19 where he was obviously getting bottom 6 minutes.

This year he's been on a much worse offensive team in Ottawa where he's playing under 15 minutes per game and on pace for ~44 pts.

Those pts per minute stats are actually fairly consistent which is actually good to see.

1.91 pts/60 this year at 5 on 5 on an offensively weak Ottawa squad.
1.85 pts/60 last year at 5 on 5 on a better Leafs squad (in a lesser sub 10 minutes per game role).

People are going to compare him somewhat to Gagner because that's the forward that was removed from the roster (yes I know not in the same trade)... but same age/same depth winger role etc.

Gagner this season is 1.26 pts/60 at 5 on 5 on a decent offensive Oilers team (certainly better offensively than Ottawa has been).
Last season Gagner was decent in his return to the Oilers getting 1.74 pts/60 at 5 on 5 playing 13.5 minutes per night... in a depth winger role on the team.

Defensively you know Gagner is "ok" at best so Ennis isn't a downgrade there either.

Last season and this season Gagner isn't having what you'd call great defensive performances in terms of his two way game and this year Ennis is actually decent on a stats basis relative to his teammates so I think a small edge to Ennis there defensively as well.

Ennis is a left shot... Gagner right and with injuries you never know which you'll need more of... but overall I think this was an upgrade for the Oilers.

Overall I think having Ennis as an option is an upgrade and certainly the cap hit is cheaper which made him actually able to fit into the roster easily whereas they had to move Gagner to fit in AA.

So yes, this Ennis addition is a smaller net positive for the team than AA and Green but every little bit of improvement helps.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Ennis is having a pretty solid season... last year he was only so-so on the Laffs.

Keep in mind he was on a 29 pt pace playing ~10 minutes per game on that Laffs team in 18/19 where he was obviously getting bottom 6 minutes.

This year he's been on a much worse offensive team in Ottawa where he's playing under 15 minutes per game and on pace for ~44 pts.

Those pts per minute stats are actually fairly consistent which is actually good to see.

1.91 pts/60 this year at 5 on 5 on an offensively weak Ottawa squad.
1.85 pts/60 last year at 5 on 5 on a better Leafs squad (in a lesser sub 10 minutes per game role).

People are going to compare him somewhat to Gagner because that's the forward that was removed from the roster (yes I know not in the same trade)... but same age/same depth winger role etc.

Gagner this season is 1.26 pts/60 at 5 on 5 on a decent offensive Oilers team (certainly better offensively than Ottawa has been).
Last season Gagner was decent in his return to the Oilers getting 1.74 pts/60 at 5 on 5 playing 13.5 minutes per night... in a depth winger role on the team.

Defensively you know Gagner is "ok" at best so Ennis isn't a downgrade there either.

Last season and this season Gagner isn't having what you'd call great defensive performances in terms of his two way game and this year Ennis is actually decent on a stats basis relative to his teammates so I think a small edge to Ennis there defensively as well.

Ennis is a left shot... Gagner right and with injuries you never know which you'll need more of... but overall I think this was an upgrade for the Oilers.

Overall I think having Ennis as an option is an upgrade and certainly the cap hit is cheaper which made him actually able to fit into the roster easily whereas they had to move Gagner to fit in AA.

So yes, this Ennis addition is a smaller net positive for the team than AA and Green but every little bit of improvement helps.

I think he's a more significant add than Green. He's a more versatile player than he's getting credit for. The only thing a guy like Gagner has on him would be playmaking ability. Ennis is far better defensively and on the fore-check, as well as being a better goal-scorer. This is still a team with weak winger depth, and I wouldn't be surprised if he emerges as one of the more capable wingers on this team in the next few weeks.

Reactions: guymez and Oilhawks

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well I have a pretty big expectation that Green is actually going to be a huge positive for this team... HUGE to a have RHS that can move the puck and be that bomb from the blueline that this team needs more of... so that colours my views as well.

Ennis is a good addition just not as big of a net positive as Green or AA in my view.

Getting AA is like dropping a 60+ pt forward into the lineup so that's huge as well... and his defensive deficiencies are likely overstated as well. He wasn't nearly that poor last year. On a relative basis he was pretty much average on that Detroit team in 18/19 and now in this historically bad year in Detroit he looks like crap defensively... but an offense 1st winger is always going to look ugly when a team is in the crapper that badly and obviously there's 5 other players out there with him on the ice that are contributing to those defensive deficiencies as well.

He's likely a slightly below average defensive player... with above average offensive skills which as a winger, is something a coach can work with.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bangers

May 31, 2006
5th round pick for a cheap UFA playoff rental. Could add scoring to our middle six (or even fit with McDavid), or could be bench fodder.

How is this move complaint-worthy?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Not bad for someone who can't hold Gagner's jock strap.

I suspect Drivesaitl may be updating / deleting some his posts in this thread in a few days.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Player 1
15-35-50 in 61 GP
- 16 in 61 GP
AAV of $6M

Player 2
15-20-35 in 62 GP
- 3 in 62 GP
AAV of $800K

Player 1 was traded for 3 prospects, a 2020 1st, and a 2021 3rd.

Player 2 was traded for a 2021 5th.

Both are UFAs after this season.
Player 1
8-17-25 in 63 GP
-7 in 63 GP
AAV of $925K
1 year left

Player 2
15-20-35 in 62 GP
-3 in 62 GP
AAV of $800K
UFA this year

Player 1 was traded for a 2020 1st, Player 2 was traded for a 2021 5th.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Player 1
8-17-25 in 63 GP
-7 in 63 GP
AAV of $925K
1 year left

Player 2
15-20-35 in 62 GP
-3 in 62 GP
AAV of $800K
UFA this year

How the f*** Did I End Up Here: The Barclay Goodrow Story

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Player 1
8-17-25 in 63 GP
-7 in 63 GP
AAV of $925K
1 year left

Player 2
15-20-35 in 62 GP
-3 in 62 GP
AAV of $800K
UFA this year

That's because Brisebois is a idiot and caved to Doug Wilson at the last minute. He's going to sewer the Lightning within 5 years if this keeps up.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That's because Brisebois is a idiot and caved to Doug Wilson at the last minute. He's going to sewer the Lightning within 5 years if this keeps up.
That trade is pure lunacy. Who gives up a first for a guy who is 27 years old with a career high of 24 points?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloned

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not bad for someone who can't hold Gagner's jock strap.

I suspect Drivesaitl may be updating / deleting some his posts in this thread in a few days.

Nah, I acknowledged before the game my error in judgement. Thus my slogan change below my Avatar which I changed hours prior to the game.

I'm emotionally stupid, everybody knows that, just how it get out stuff when feeling frustrated. So I'll flail away and comeback later being of more sound mind. At least temporarily.

I have no trouble taking the piss out of myself. I don't mind doing it.

I was weeeeerong, I was wereeeewerong as Fonzie said.

Before I die I'd like to be less reactive. But its how I'm built.

That said my comment in relation to Gagner was in terms of pts production, and to make that point the unsung Gagner has as much NHL pts production as AA and Ennis combined. Now I'm not saying that in relation to present value, but more in terms of how devalued Gagner often was here.

The only post I would think of deleting is this one because it gives so much ammunition. ;) But I'll let it stand.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nah, I acknowledged before the game my error in judgement. Thus my slogan change below my Avatar which I changed hours prior to the game.

I'm emotionally stupid, everybody knows that, just how it get out stuff when feeling frustrated. So I'll flail away and comeback later being of more sound mind. At least temporarily.

I have no trouble taking the piss out of myself. I don't mind doing it.

I was weeeeerong, I was wereeeewerong as Fonzie said.

Before I die I'd like to be less reactive. But its how I'm built.

That said my comment in relation to Gagner was in terms of pts production, and to make that point the unsung Gagner has as much NHL pts production as AA and Ennis combined. Now I'm not saying that in relation to present value, but more in terms of how devalued Gagner often was here.

The only post I would think of deleting is this one because it gives so much ammunition. ;) But I'll let it stand.
Respect!

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This is the 2nd best trade of the year for Holland (after getting Lucic off the damned team). Ennis is so much better and so much more effective of a player then I thought. What a great add to the depth of this team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ennis had a very good game last night.
It will be interesting to see how much of that was due to him being hyper amped up on adrenaline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad