Proposal: EDM - NYR

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I agree that Kreider is worth more than a late first... probably something roughly equivalent to what the Rangers received for Hayes. It could be a bit more or a bit less depending on the market, and a teams desire to extend him.

I was just stating this hypothetical Kreider to Edmonton deal doesn't make much sense for Edmonton.

Agree, and may I add you state a reasonable norm.
A team like Avs, were they to indulge with a splurge, or Oil IF IF IF they had the assets and position, which they don't, those guys MIGHT go just a bit more, b'c they have guys [MacK and McD] with speed, + that match well with Kreider, likely to promote synergy.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
When Kreider was first drafted, I was the lead voice advocating, not so fast, we have something here.

You compared Kreider to Bure and Keon. 10 years later, we stand with a player that’s never broken 30 goals or 60 points.

After Stepan's first year, into his 2nd, I could see he was gonna plateau, and I was right that we should have moved him earlier to get best return. We were insanely lucky the 'yotes bailed us out.

As did most. I stated that he would never advance beyond what he was without improving his skating. Do I get a cookie as well?

I respect your right to disagree, and more often than not, your opinion itself.

I respect everyone’s right to their opinions. However, you have a penchant for going completely off the rails. You’ve said some things that would get you locked in a hockey fan’s version of a mental institution in the past, but this might be your worst. Nieves?!? Are you really that blinded by good skating that you can’t see that he lacks everything else to make him more than a 4th line center?

What I don’t respect, is your condescending tone to everyone who disagrees with you after they tell you that your rationale is beyond flawed and your persistence on telling them things like they need to “open up their minds” or “think outside the box.”

The box is long gone and the minds are open.
You’re just lost in space with some of your takes.

But I hold fast here, for the rationale explained above.

Again, keeping this with the thread topic, I doubt Oil pony up for Zib, but if we don't get a Parayko now, I think he helps us get 2 or 3 good shots at the getting the next Para.

And you have to think WAY ahead for max flexibility of the exp draft.
We keep Zib UNLESS the offer is truly substantial.

We don’t have to protect Shattenkirk, Staal, Smith or Lundqvist as they’ll be UFA’s when the expansion draft happens. They won’t have to protect Kravtsov, Shestyorkin, Miller, Lundkvist, Rykov. They’ll have enough protection slots.

As for Zibanejad, he just scored his 30th goal and 70th point of the season making him the first Rangers center to do so since Eric Lindros in 2002. He’s 25 years old with 3 years left after this and is the team’s first legitimate 1C in nearly 2 decades. Stepan was a borderline 1C who was a 55 point player who couldn’t score goals, was older and was making more money. Even with his NMC, Mika is a much safer bet going forward. Again, I don’t know how you can’t see this.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
No, I am not actually wrong until that is proven. Until then, it is merely unproven on both sides. I expect Kravtsov to make everything moot next season, but if for some reason there is a basis to test my theory as I described, we will see then.

You are entitled to your own opinion, not to say statements that are not facts are facts.
It is my opinion that Nieves is a 3C currently w/2C potential, if he can up his offensive game with better shooting. It is not in dispute that he already evidences better skating, passing, defense etc than others.
I have also postulated that IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF he is placed in a manufactured scenario with 2 Ws most likely to obtain best results, chemistry MAY kick in, and IF lightning strikes, you will see him function as a 1C with the correct 1W talents.
Unless and until he gets this chance, with some chance to work with Kreider to get familiarity so they hit the ground running, no one can say definitively the experiment will fail, and that includes you.

Again, I throw out the gauntlet.
Wanna shut me up? Have the experiment run as I said, even if it was not to the optimal conditions I specified, for the balance of the year. A decent sample size, enuf mins, enuf shifts, enuf games.
If terrif results do not follow, I will address that.
Until then, stop overreaching, you are not entitled to claim victory until the experiment takes place substantially, and only then if it fails.

Kravtsov - played pivot, and you refuse to admit he did so well.
THAT is the fact.
Not your insistence for some reason that he must, and can only be a W for us.

Strome does have a better offensive game than Nieves. However, Nieves has a better skill set otherwise. Also, if you are gonna be fair, look at, besides Boo returning from concussion, that he has pretty much played 4th line with, to large extent, the likes of McLeod. Strome has gotten minimal 4th line time, some 1st line time, and mostly middle 6 duty.

Bern, One Winged Angel essentially called it as I see it. I think you have said so much outlandish stuff that you simply lack any credibility on this forum. You lack any realistic ability to properly value players, team wants and needs and piece together sane trade proposals. You sum up your proposals as creative despite the volumes of people who disagree. Then to those who disagree, you use an odd type of passive/aggressive speak to try and discredit them in ad homien style attacks.

Re: Nieves-
Throwing up the gauntlet to people who have no control over the situation isn't exactly brave. It just shows how out of touch you are. Setting some sort of ridiculous criteria to disprove your bloviations is silly. The fact that you said Nieves could be the 1C because he has synergy is one of the more idiotic things you have said and there is zero chance that it will happen. If it hasn't happened by now.........chalk up the loss rather than lower your expectations and continue. You've defended synergy with such statements as Nieve's has speed and ability to keep up with Kreider. As if the other players can't or those guys rip up the ice every shift. It is a completely preposterous notion.
I use the word notion loosely because that implies at least a little serious thought is suggested in the concept.

Your experiment not being attempted by DQ, should be a testament that it is a bad idea. He see's these guys every day and knows his players better than anyone. If he felt Nieves has "synergy" or even skill with Kreider or was anything more than a 4C, he would likely be inclined to put him elsewhere in the line up, there is nothing to lose this season. Nobody is "wrong" for not getting on board with your "thinking". I believe you are wrong or at least that your experiment is not realistic because I have seen Nieves play and understand his limitations. Your experiment is not a feasible with a realistic hope of success based on the fact Boo does not have the skill to be in the position you want to put him.

Lastly......I already told you that Kravtson playing 6 games at C in the WJ's does not qualify him to be the Rangers #1.......you have to do better. I suggest you read up about the guy because it is clear you know nothing about him.......the fact that you have made an comparison to he and Nieves displays that.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
After Stepan's first year, into his 2nd, I could see he was gonna plateau, and I was right that we should have moved him earlier to get best return.

You do realize that in Stepan's second year, he increased his point total to a 50 point player and kept that pace for all until this year. Everybody could see that he wasn't going to turn into a real top #1C and was limited by his skating, but that doesn't mean we needed to trade him right away. We traded him at the right time, we did not need to trade him sooner.

Yes, you called moving him, but you called that every year, eventually bound to be right considering he wasn't going to be a franchise, life-time player for the Rangers. He's played 9 seasons in the NHL, 7 of which he was a 50+ point player /82. Not every player is going to be in the NHL for 15 or more years, and even than, not every one of those players will keep that pace up their entire careers. Until this year, he didn't plateau, he just never had a ton of skill, or skating ability, and has exceed most expectations. If you think we should have moved him 2 years earlier, you're flat out wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: One Winged Angel

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

You compared Kreider to Bure and Keon. 10 years later, we stand with a player that’s never broken 30 goals or 60 points.
At the time we thought CK would be a C b'c of his dominant speed. I am not backing off what I said, but please let's be accurate.
I said best case scenario, it not being established what his offensive upside was, and what kind of shooting touch he had, that using that elite speed alone, not to mention the power, would make him as effective as Keon, AGAIN BEST CASE SCENARIO, as a pivot.
It then became clear that b'c CK did not have the best hands, a la MacKinnon -- and that is part of the dif -- that the best case scenario for him as a converted PF would be Bure, IF he could develop scoring touch. Turns out, CK is not Hoffman or DeBrincat and had to learn how to pot his tallies, unable to do so as a sniper, which Bure was.
It is totally fair to call me out for saying that, but again, please be accurate. I always said, best case scenario, etc.

We can see know if Kreider adding scoring/sniper touch to what we have already seen, what I said would be correct. He held up his end as to the rest of it, which I predicted, as did many others, but I was among the first, when he was a skinny kid we just drafted, and did not know what we had.

As did most. I stated that he would never advance beyond what he was without improving his skating. Do I get a cookie as well?
Kudos to you as well then.
But where were you when I was getting crucified by the win now crowd for their herd mentality, who would not consider taking a step backwards to go 3 steps forward near term, and insisted kicking the can as long as possible?
When I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and when I'm right, I'm right.
It took years for everyone to begrudgingly come to the conclusion, admit it or not, that I was right about Stepan. @RangerBoy emphatically concurred.
I give you a lot of credit for a lot of things, and you deserve all that, no more no less,
But next time, step up, stand up with me, and then yeah, I'll not only give you a cookie, but I'll buy you a drink!

... You’ve said some things that would get you locked in a hockey fan’s version of a mental institution in the past, but this might be your worst. Nieves?!? Are you really that blinded by good skating that you can’t see that he lacks everything else to make him more than a 4th line center?...
You --- and most others -- are making the mistake of saying Nieves is equivalent to Gene Carr, Rico Fata, etc., guys who only have wheels, literally.
Let's just have the naysayers bend, buckle and break and speak to the truth.
Setting aside injuries, which we should not hold vs the player if he has overcome same, is it or is it not true that:
- Nieves did not get a fair chance under AV, who favored vets, arguably in his own self interest, not that of the team; and also
- Nieves has not gotten fair mins b'c GMJG had to showcase certain guys prior to actual or potential trade, which took mins away, and also likewise, had to see what guys like Andersson had.

If you gave Nieves a fair trial, wouldn't his results be better with more minutes and better talent beyond McLeod and co.?

And beyond a fair assessment, is it not possible that we see chemistry is an intangible, fragile but real thing. Is it so impossible to even consider higher levels of compatibility w/Kreider + correct RW, and that could lead to even more productive synergy, results higher than they would otherwise normally be?

What I don’t respect, is your condescending tone to everyone who disagrees with you after they tell you that your rationale is beyond flawed and your persistence on telling them things like they need to “open up their minds” or “think outside the box.”
Sorry, nope.
There is a herd mentality here that is adamant that we don't dare have our 7OA Andersson usurped, or that we defer Namest./Strome to Boo. That mentality IS close minded, and the proof of that is that no one there is supporting my call for an experiment, to prove it one way or the other.

Considering the mudslinging and bs deluge I get from the half dozen of my worst detractors, my rebuttal is polite and reserved.
And I make no concession, retract not a fraction of an inch, in my position, which stands until a fair test can be made.
Who is the herd to tell me to bend, buckle and break in capitulation?
Not gonna happen.

If and when it is OBJECTIVELY established that I was clearly wrong, as in the case of tysen dowzak, I will be first to stand up and admit to it.
Until then, competition of free ideas, this is America [and rest of the free world], and I will not yield to a demand to go with what is popular, regardless of if right or wrong.

The box is long gone and the minds are open.
You’re just lost in space with some of your takes.
If you actively, objectively look at the talent level, all factors considered, you will see Nieves is substandard only as a shooter, which is partly reinforced by his pass first approach. He may never substantially improve his shooting, but the rest of his game more than offsets that, particularly as his +/- very well despite difficult circumstances of fewer mins, no pp, often little or no talent on W.

If one can just recognize that talent factor, and give the kid a fair chance, his performance will improve with proportionate production results.

Until my critics objectively acknowledge that talent factor into the equation, they themselves downgrade the worth of their content.

We don’t have to protect Shattenkirk, Staal, Smith or Lundqvist as they’ll be UFA’s when the expansion draft happens. They won’t have to protect Kravtsov, Shestyorkin, Miller, Lundkvist, Rykov.
Thank heaven for small favors.

They’ll have enough protection slots.
That remains to be seen, I hope so. However, unarguably, can we agree that the more slots they have, the more flexible are their options, and the more they control, or command, their path?

As for Zibanejad, he just scored his 30th goal and 70th point of the season making him the first Rangers center to do so since Eric Lindros in 2002. He’s 25 years old with 3 years left after this and is the team’s first legitimate 1C in nearly 2 decades. Stepan was a borderline 1C who was a 55 point player who couldn’t score goals, was older and was making more money. Even with his NMC, Mika is a much safer bet going forward. Again, I don’t know how you can’t see this.

I see all this, and it is not a bad position to be 'stuck' in.
But pls remember, I said specifically this is IF we get a godfather offer, not just for reshuffling the deck.
Also we need to step up on our RD, we have nice pieces down the road, but nothing coming up near term. If you are content to let that lie, fine. If you want to actively try to change that, you have to think about moving a serious piece, most likely.

I would not be in a rush to field offers for Zib, but once the next NHL season kicks in on what, July 1?, the player calls all the shots. This is the only chance we have to (more) fully control any outcome.
Also, logic postulates a team will pay more for the full # of years on Zib now than if we wait and move him in, say, 2 years.

No my friend, while I am all too happy to keep Zib as a fallback, I do want to entertain substantial, significant offers now. Worst that can happen is we say no, not enough. Doesn't hurt to consider bids.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
How about EDM 2019 1st for WPG 2019 1st, jesper fast and neal pionk
That's pretty terrible for them.

Fast and Pionk could be had for a lot less. Downgrading their first is very bad here.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The sweetener is the NYR takes money back. No way to avoid that!

And a couple of more first round picks from Edmonton.

We aren't trading a guy like Zibby with his point pace at that contract for anything less than an over-payment. The more money we'd take back, the more significant the over-payment becomes.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The issue with almost everything you say is that you feel your opinion is factual and creative. It simply isn't.
You throw wild, outlandish proposals out like hot garbage and think that you/they are solid but there is little chance.......in fact, no chance that any of them happen. That is your poor valuation and logic at work and it equates to you being unable to properly judge players, team needs and wants and ultimately makes your proposals unpalatable to anyone but you. Then to those who disagree you use some type of passive/aggressive speak to try and discredit them in an ad homien style attack.

Throwing up the gauntlet to people who have no control over the situation isn't exactly brave. It just shows how out of touch you are. Setting some sort of ridiculous criteria to disprove your bloviations is silly. The fact that you said Nieves could be the 1C because he has synergy is one of the more idiotic things you have said and there is zero chance that it will happen. If it hasn't happened by now.........chalk up the loss rather than lower your expectations and continue. You've defended synergy with such statements as Nieve's has speed and ability to keep up with Kreider. As if the other players can't or those guys rip up the ice every shift. It is a completely preposterous notion.
I use the word notion loosely because that implies at least a little serious thought is suggested in the statement.

Your experiment not being attempted by DQ, should be a testament that it is a bad idea. He see's these guys every day and knows his players better than anyone. If he felt Nieves has "synergy" or even skill with Kreider or was anything more than a 4C, he would likely be inclined to put him elsewhere in the line up, there is nothing to lose this season. Nobody is "wrong" for not getting on board with your "thinking". I believe you are wrong or at least that your experiment is not realistic because I have seen Nieves play and understand his limitations. Your experiment is not a feasible with a realistic hope of success based on the fact Boo does not have the skill to be in the position you want to put him.

Your "facts" are not facts as you have not substantiated what you have said with anything factual....again your opinion does not equate to fact. Just give it up about Nieves. You insisted he could be a temporary #1, then a #2 now he is a #3 being "wasted" in the 4 spot. Stop. Only you think he is anything more than a 4C or injury call up. Watch how fast he is back in Hartford when this team breaks camp next season. And sorry but previously in your "postulated scenario" you were a bit more adamant about Boo being successful.....like it was "written". There was no may or maybe.....you were stuck on your synergy thing while many other posters told you Nieves is not a skilled enough player to succeed there. His lack of skill is the reason why he is a 4th line player. As he get older he will become a Brian Boyle like guy.........important for what he does but a 4th line role player. I'm not sure why you brought up Strome as he is surely a better offensive player. He's also had 1 50pt season.

Regarding victory.....anything that you insist should happen that doesn't........is your loss. What you do is spitball irrational concepts and insist they are creative........it's utter nonsense most of the time and you try to back things up with further irrelevance like....."remember that time when I was right about Stepan or I supported Kreider when he was a question mark"....that doesn't apply to what you say now and NOBODY CARES. You have a 0.00% success rate regarding proposals. In the interim, virtually everything you have said on this forum has discredited you in some way and prevents people from talking you seriously. Stop with the smug passive aggressive vitriol.

For the last time.....Kravtsov played C for 6 games in the WJ's...........I've told you that from the start.......there is nothing I didn't admit...................................I am just realistic enough to see THAT does not mean he will be the Rangers #1 C..........this is yet another outlandish claim you have made and you can't back it up.................If you want to continue to insist that he is the next #1 and he will make Zib expendable, you have to do better. Chytil, Andersson and Howden are all true C's. They have played that position naturally. Kravtsov is not coming in here and getting the #1 over Zib or Chytil. The Rangers lack wing depth.........once again, Kravtsov was drafted as a winger because that is his natural position.

You clearly have no idea about this guy. You've admitted this previously, and stated a guy on the NYR forum said he can play C. You are banking your #1C wish based on that. That you made comparisons between he and Nieves and you are completely ignorant to anything about this player. You are incorrect here. Nobody is going to agree with you about that.

Again, if you want to continue the Kravtsov thing, come up with something concrete and true as to why you feel he will be the #1C. Basing this on some other person's opinion, is not concrete.

Disagree, on grounds already said extensively previously.

returning this to thread topic, despite efforts of others to not go there, Zib should be the 1RW complementing Kreider and Nieves [until Kravtsov gets here], and post season NY should entertain top, top top dollar offers for Zib, which I doubt Oil has currency for.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Disagree, on grounds already said extensively previously.

returning this to thread topic, despite efforts of others to not go there, Zib should be the 1RW complementing Kreider and Nieves [until Kravtsov gets here], and post season NY should entertain top, top top dollar offers for Zib, which I doubt Oil has currency for.

You understand you derailed the thread and people responded to set you straight........right?
That is the way it usually goes.

Returning to the thread topic that you derailed previously? Awesome.
Zib now a RW? Even more awesome.
With Kreider and Boo?............totally awesome.

Until next time you bless us with insanity.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You do realize that in Stepan's second year, he increased his point total to a 50 point player and kept that pace for all until this year. Everybody could see that he wasn't going to turn into a real top #1C and was limited by his skating, but that doesn't mean we needed to trade him right away. We traded him at the right time, we did not need to trade him sooner.

Yes, you called moving him, but you called that every year, eventually bound to be right considering he wasn't going to be a franchise, life-time player for the Rangers. He's played 9 seasons in the NHL, 7 of which he was a 50+ point player /82. Not every player is going to be in the NHL for 15 or more years, and even than, not every one of those layers will keep that pace up their entire careers. Until this year, he didn't plateau, he just never had a ton of skill, or skating ability, and has exceed most expectations. If you think we should have moved him 2 years earlier, you're flat out wrong.

Respectfully disagree
he basically plateaued as of and that was evident as of 2nd year.

This is the logical fact you are overlooking.

Had we traded Stepan in his 3rd or 4th year, we would have gotten more, arguably appreciably more, b'c it is the same productivity but for less cost.

I don't how see anyone can refute that.
If you want to argue we were better off by keeping him, fine, that is a whole separate discussion.
But IMO we should have moved him way earlier, would have gotten a lot more.

If we did that, traded Girardi as a rental to Ducks who had like Sens 11OA at the time, and then, w/o Danny boy as a reference to match, kept Staal on a much more reasonable deal, no NMC, and a couple of other suggestions I made, I think we can agree we might well be better off.

Returning to the thread topic that you derailed previously? Awesome.

Zib now a RW? Even more awesome.
With Kreider and Boo?............totally awesome.

Until next time.

I did not do the derailing.
Since pre-Boo, I have called to use righty shot Zib as bookend with CK.

just clarifying the misrepresentation

back to NYR-Oil...

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Considering the mudslinging and bs deluge I get from the half dozen of my worst detractors, my rebuttal is polite and reserved.
And I make no concession, retract not a fraction of an inch, in my position, which stands until a fair test can be made.
Not gonna happen.

Until my critics objectively acknowledge that talent factor into the equation, they themselves downgrade the worth of their content.

Bern, virtually nobody ever agrees with you. That is a testament to you, your rationale and what you say here. It is not a herd mentality, it is a group of people who consider common sense when looking at proposals and one guy....you.....who clearly does not. Everyone else isn't wrong and you are not some hockey trade proposal swammi. Often what you say just isn't rational to be taken seriously.
You need a mirror to look into.

Your "critics" are looking for common sense in your proposals and fail to find any.
Creativity means little when it is not coupled with realism or common sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: One Winged Angel

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Respectfully disagree

This is the logical fact you are overlooking.

Had we traded Stepan in his 3rd or 4th year, we would have gotten more, arguably appreciably more, b'c it is the same productivity but for less cost.

I don't how see anyone can refute that.
If you want to argue we were better off by keeping him, fine, that is a whole separate discussion.
But IMO we should have moved him way earlier, would have gotten a lot more.

If we did that, traded Girardi as a rental to Ducks who had like Sens 11OA at the time, and then, w/o Danny boy as a reference to match, kept Staal on a much more reasonable deal, no NMC, and a couple of other suggestions I made, I think we can agree we might well be better off.

I did not do the derailing.
Since pre-Boo, I have called to use righty shot Zib as bookend with CK.

just clarifying the misrepresentation

back to NYR-Oil...

You might want to scroll back and check that.
Please consider your long winded off topic Boo fluff posts.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Respectfully disagree

Th

How much more do you think we would have gotten? We got a #7. If it was a different year, we might not have even gotten a pick that high. Through-out the year the ranking for 2017 was that it wasn't as good as previous drafts. What happens with some of those players going forward may change that, but at the time it wasn't expecting to be a star loaded draft. Do you think we get a #7 last year? Do you think we get a #7 in the 2016 draft? If you do, take a look at the teams that drafted top 7 and take a look at their needs. They weren't giving us that pick for Stepan. Seems like you're trying to say we should have traded Stepan, as an RFA, before we increased his pay in 2014-15, and reaped the rewards. I strongly disagree. Not to mention, why would any team trade away a player in his 3rd year after putting up 44 points in 48 games.

Also, tell me how Stepan plateaued in his second season, when in his 3rd season he improved all over the rink and put up 44 points in 48 games?

You probably shouldn't use words like "evident" when the facts say you're wrong.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
At the time we thought CK would be a C b'c of his dominant speed. I am not backing off what I said, but please let's be accurate.

You could ask anyone that’s been around long enough. I don’t need to make up comparisons that you made.

I said best case scenario, it not being established what his offensive upside was, and what kind of shooting touch he had, that using that elite speed alone, not to mention the power, would make him as effective as Keon, AGAIN BEST CASE SCENARIO, as a pivot.

The fact that you believed Kreider could be a center at any point shows how far off you are. He never played Center at BC. The last time he played center was probably at Andover.

It then became clear that b'c CK did not have the best hands, a la MacKinnon -- and that is part of the dif -- that the best case scenario for him as a converted PF would be Bure, IF he could develop scoring touch. Turns out, CK is not Hoffman or DeBrincat and had to learn how to pot his tallies, unable to do so as a sniper, which Bure was.
It is totally fair to call me out for saying that, but again, please be accurate. I always said, best case scenario, etc.

Using terms like best case scenario is not helping your cause. The fact that you even mentioned those names was ridiculous enough.

We can see know if Kreider adding scoring/sniper touch to what we have already seen, what I said would be correct. He held up his end as to the rest of it, which I predicted, as did many others, but I was among the first, when he was a skinny kid we just drafted, and did not know what we had.

You had unrealistic expectations and wanted the world for him. You held him to a standard that was simply unobtainable.

Kudos to you as well then.
But where were you when I was getting crucified by the win now crowd for their herd mentality, who would not consider taking a step backwards to go 3 steps forward near term, and insisted kicking the can as long as possible?
When I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and when I'm right, I'm right.
It took years for everyone to begrudgingly come to the conclusion, admit it or not, that I was right about Stepan. @RangerBoy emphatically concurred.
I give you a lot of credit for a lot of things, and you deserve all that, no more no less,
But next time, step up, stand up with me, and then yeah, I'll not only give you a cookie, but I'll buy you a drink!

The Amity Affliction, Coldshot, Monument... don’t know what other screen names I’ve used but I’ve been around. I’ve seen it all with you.

I’m not looking for a cookie or recognition. What I’m trying to tell you is that people weren’t telling you that you were wrong about Stepan because they didn’t see it coming. They were telling you that the timing wasn’t right and we’d have no one at center that could be a 1C and they were right.

You --- and most others -- are making the mistake of saying Nieves is equivalent to Gene Carr, Rico Fata, etc., guys who only have wheels, literally.
Let's just have the naysayers bend, buckle and break and speak to the truth.

You’re either putting words in my mouth or you can’t understand the fact that Rico Fata was a career minor leaguer. Nieves is a 4C, an average one at best, at this point. Not a potential top-6 center. Quinn would have tried something with him already if he thought so, with the amount of players he’s put in the doghouse this year.

Setting aside injuries, which we should not hold vs the player if he has overcome same, is it or is it not true that:
- Nieves did not get a fair chance under AV, who favored vets, arguably in his own self interest, not that of the team; and also
- Nieves has not gotten fair mins b'c GMJG had to showcase certain guys prior to actual or potential trade, which took mins away, and also likewise, had to see what guys like Andersson had.

While it’s not entirely impossible that they move Andersson at some point, the time is not now and he’s not nearly close to being developed.

If you gave Nieves a fair trial, wouldn't his results be better with more minutes and better talent beyond McLeod and co.?

McLeod’s been gone for a while now and didn’t play all of the games while he was here. Stop using him as a crutch.

If he were to show anything that would prove him worthy of the shot, he would have gotten it already.

And beyond a fair assessment, is it not possible that we see chemistry is an intangible, fragile but real thing. Is it so impossible to even consider higher levels of compatibility w/Kreider + correct RW, and that could lead to even more productive synergy, results higher than they would otherwise normally be?

The problem with all of that is that you’re basing him having any type of “synergy” or “chemistry” with Kreider based on nothing but his speed. He’s shown no type of offensive creativity aside from the play he made on Strome’s OT winner against Toronto.

There’s nothing wrong with him being a 4C, the expectations you have are again, completely unrealistic. Just as you used the words best case scenario for Kreider when mentioning names like Keon and Bure, you again catapult expectations through the roof.

Sorry, nope.
There is a herd mentality here that is adamant that we don't dare have our 7OA Andersson usurped, or that we defer Namest./Strome to Boo. That mentality IS close minded, and the proof of that is that no one there is supporting my call for an experiment, to prove it one way or the other.

Again, I have my doubts about Andersson. Serious ones. I was not a fan of that pick. However, you cannot give up on him now. It is far too early. He needs to hit the gym hard and work with Barbara Underhill like Boyle did.

Not gonna happen.

No one can tell you that you can’t have your opinion. I’m not saying you can’t. What I’m saying is that just as you have your right to your opinion, everyone has the same right to come back and tell you that some of the hot takes you make are absolutely ridiculous. So telling people to think outside the box when you make these crazy hot takes is not a smart strategy.

If and when it is OBJECTIVELY established that I was clearly wrong, as in the case of tysen dowzak, I will be first to stand up and admit to it.
Until then, competition of free ideas, this is America [and rest of the free world], and I will not yield to a demand to go with what is popular, regardless of if right or wrong.

And who determines objectivity? You? You tried to retread on your words about Kreider. Who determines when what’s done is done? Nieves is a 25 year old 4th year pro drafted SEVEN YEARS AGO, that has 19 career points. Enough is enough.

If you actively, objectively look at the talent level, all factors considered, you will see Nieves is substandard only as a shooter, which is partly reinforced by his pass first approach. He may never substantially improve his shooting, but the rest of his game more than offsets that, particularly as his +/- very well despite difficult circumstances of fewer mins, no pp, often little or no talent on W.

This isn’t a player that will improve his offensive numbers. He’s not going to get power play chances because you feel he’s deserving. The game needs to end.

If one can just recognize that talent factor, and give the kid a fair chance, his performance will improve with proportionate production results.

While I don’t always agree with Quinn, he has enough of a grasp to know if putting Nieves in his top-6 would be worthwhile. He has no inclination to do so, despite the current status of the team. That should speak volumes about how ridiculous the notion is.

That remains to be seen, I hope so. However, unarguably, can we agree that the more slots they have, the more flexible are their options, and the more they control, or command, their path?

So then who are you worried about then?

I see all this, and it is not a bad position to be 'stuck' in.
But pls remember, I said specifically this is IF we get a godfather offer, not just for reshuffling the deck.
Also we need to step up on our RD, we have nice pieces down the road, but nothing coming up near term. If you are content to let that lie, fine. If you want to actively try to change that, you have to think about moving a serious piece, most likely.

I would not be in a rush to field offers for Zib, but once the next NHL season kicks in on what, July 1?, the player calls all the shots. This is the only chance we have to (more) fully control any outcome.
Also, logic postulates a team will pay more for the full # of years on Zib now than if we wait and move him in, say, 2 years.

No my friend, while I am all too happy to keep Zib as a fallback, I do want to entertain substantial, significant offers now. Worst that can happen is we say no, not enough. Doesn't hurt to consider bids.

Zibanejad is not a “fallback option.” Even if the Rangers get Hughes or Kakko, Zibanejad is not being traded anytime soon. Center depth wins in the NHL.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
How much more do you think we would have gotten? We got a #7. If it was a different year, we might not have even gotten a pick that high. Through-out the year the ranking for 2017 was that it wasn't as good as previous drafts. What happens with some of those players going forward may change that, but at the time it wasn't expecting to be a star loaded draft. Do you think we get a #7 last year? Do you think we get a #7 in the 2016 draft? If you do, take a look at the teams that drafted top 7 and take a look at their needs. They weren't giving us that pick for Stepan. Seems like you're trying to say we should have traded Stepan, as an RFA, before we increased his pay in 2014-15, and reaped the rewards. I strongly disagree. Not to mention, why would any team trade away a player in his 3rd year after putting up 44 points in 48 games.

Also, tell me how Stepan plateaued in his second season, when in his 3rd season he improved all over the rink and put up 44 points in 48 games?

You probably shouldn't use words like "evident" when the facts say you're wrong.

too me it was evident after his second season, he was not gonna improve as a skater and that was a killer on any potential advance. So, 2nd or 3rd season, the point remains, we should have moved him earlier.

Yes, before we reaped the RFA benefits.
We were better off getting a trading partner, in an earlier better year, to pay us for that control.
We were LUCKY that we got 7OA from AZ.
It could have been A LOT worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad