Confirmed with Link: [EDM/NYR] Oilers acquire Ryan Spooner in exchange for Ryan Strome (NYR retains 900k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Do we think Spooner is being brought in to play wing in the top-6? Or as a third line centre? I could see it working out if he ends up riding with McDavid or RNH.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
So
Centre for Left Wing, (loss)
Right shot for left shot (loss)
loss of size (loss)
younger for older (loss)
Money after retention is a wash.
So why???? is Spooner that much better?? or alot faster??
I thought Strome was an okay 3rd line centre.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Actually not a bad trade. Spooner had some really good seasons in Boston and always had solid to great underlying numbers. Strome has just always kind of...sucked.

Strome has no upside, Spooner atleast has some. The Eberle trade was horrible but this makes it a tiny bit better

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I don’t mind it. Strome has done nothing this year and needed a change of scenery.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Interesting that Rangers cut bait on this player so quickly after signing him to multiyear UFA deal (although only 2 years). That Eberle trade just keeps getting worse, lol Chia, you idiot.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Can't be any worse. Strome was a black hole in all aspects of the game. Spooner having a bad year thus far, but has strung together a few great seasons prior. It's worth the risk IMO.

At worse it's a lateral move. At best he slots in with Davo or Drai and puts up another 40+ points.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Chia is hoping that the Spooner/Lucic chemistry (Krejci was injured for a while and they were put together and did well) from a few years ago can still happen here.

Whatever, worth a shot. Strome is a McLellan of a hockey player, super mediocre in every way.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
DsJtXudXQAATXDz.jpg:large

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Hopefully he puts up some points and injects some much needed skill and creativity into our lineup.

Personally thought that Strome was playing fine considering his lack of production but I feel as if this is more of a Rieder replacement than an in-role swap.

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen him play 20+ games as an Oiler.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Interesting that Rangers cut bait on this player so quickly after signing him to multiyear UFA deal (although only 2 years). That Eberle trade just keeps getting worse, lol Chia, you idiot.

Interesting the Oilers cut bait on a player so quickly since they just signed to a 2 year contract after acquiring him for Eberle...I’m guessing Ranger fans have the exact same reservations about this deal as we do.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Spooner is a winger who can play some Center. He is definitely a passenger. He gets his points when he's hot. When he is "on" he can be a very dangerous sniper. Problem with Spooner is he doesn't really bring that much to the table unless he's scoring. Not sure how I feel about this trade. Posted this on the Rangers forum a few days ago. I think this is ultimately what we're seeing here with this trade.

I think Spooner has low value, but he still has value. Especially if we retain, which we can easily do so. There are A LOT of players throughout the NHL that are playing below their standards. Spooner could be part of a change of scenery kind of swap.

Reactions: RegDunlop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad