Confirmed with Link: [EDM/NSH] Oilers acquire Matt Hendricks for Devan Dubnyk

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Can we please stop resurrecting the Dubnyk for Hendricks thread?

Good god this fanbase is insane

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
sometimes this forum makes me wonder if people know anything about hockey...

I think the post you are calling out is very well written and very true to the point.

I was one of those that thought because of his inflated save percentage and slight improvement from year to year that he would eventually become a good goaltender.

But I think you would have to be unobservant not to realize Dub had serious holes to his game and almost always crumbled on any serious pressure.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Do we need to keep rehashing an old trade thread just so a few people can pat themselves on the back because they 'knew' something was wrong 10 years ago..jeezz. At least put the 'I know more about hockey than you do' in a newer thread.

:rolleyes:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think the post you are calling out is very well written and very true to the point.

I was one of those that thought because of his inflated save percentage and slight improvement from year to year that he would eventually become a good goaltender.

But I think you would have to be unobservant not to realize Dub had serious holes to his game and almost always crumbled on any serious pressure.

You missed the pun. Dub supporters stated exactly that to shutney earlier in the thread yesterday. He was flippantly responding with tongue in cheek mirth.

I haven't said anything yet but people know my opinion that Dubs was never a real #1 and to be frank I didn't even think he should be an NHL goalie. He was basically appointed this position and only ever had to be considered better than JDD (and I still even question that).

I find it amazing that so many stats are chronically misconstrued and with this continuing to be the case.

To wit one year of good save % and GAA does not make a good goalie. It needs reminding that these are TEAM metrics and do not isolate goalie performance in any way. Although they are often erroneously cited to prop up whatever goalie.

Further, even though Dubs was associated with good Save % and GAA last season, which so many people like to state, Khabi, lol, actually had better stats.

For whatever reason the team last year, under Krueger gave their goalies much better chances to see and stop pucks. The team in general did better last year in front of whatever goalie was backstopping them.

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This trade is looking great. We gave up a goalie with a 3.5M cap hit in exchange for a bottom six forward who brought a number of things to the table that our team was really lacking.

It looked like that at the time and it's looking even better now. Now it's looking like we gave up one of the worst contracts out there for something we needed.

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Dubnyk's contract ends at the end of the season. We have the plug Hendricks for another two years. I think he hits the waiver wire next season.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
Dubnyk's contract ends at the end of the season. We have the plug Hendricks for another two years. I think he hits the waiver wire next season.

You're so wrong. Hendricks is a godsend to the Oilers this yr the same for Gazdic. He's still on contract for another 3 yrs since he signed a 4 yr deal.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I haven't said anything yet but people know my opinion that Dubs was never a real #1 and to be frank I didn't even think he should be an NHL goalie. He was basically appointed this position and only ever had to be considered better than JDD (and I still even question that).

Excellent point. I still don't get how Dubnyk hung around for so long.

JDD played exactly 4 regular season games in the NHL after the Oilers dumped him. So far Dubnyk has two games in his post-Oilers career. All my vcash on Doobie not catching JDD!

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

I don't see him getting waived next year. We've got tons of cap space and little grit and heart on our team. If Hemsky and Nick Schultz go we've also got very few vets on our team as well.

I really don't mind having Hendricks and Gazdic both playing on the 4th line.

I see Joensu as being the guy clearing waivers next year.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

JDD played exactly 4 regular season games in the NHL after the Oilers dumped him. So far Dubnyk has two games in his post-Oilers career. All my vcash on Doobie not catching JDD!

You owned in the comment about a month back that Dubs might not play another game in Nashville.

kudos

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
You owned in the comment about a month back that Dubs might not play another game in Nashville.

kudos

Thanks.

I remember that came to me after Dubnyk crapped the bed against Calgary.

1. Nashville was cruising into the Olympic break. 6 games in 14 days. No reason to rest Hutton, who went 3-1-2 in that stretch.

2. The reaction on the Preds board was overwhelmingly "How is this guy an NHL goalie?" Which is what it should be. Somehow Doobie's aw shucks attitude earned him surprising amounts of credibility here in Edmonton.

3. For Nashville it was a cheap insurance policy until the Olympic break, it didn't work out. No big deal, cut bait with Doobie when Rinne is back. Which is what they did.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
You're so wrong. Hendricks is a godsend to the Oilers this yr the same for Gazdic. He's still on contract for another 3 yrs since he signed a 4 yr deal.

Not really a godsend, but improvements to the fourth line.

Gazdic is a meh player, doesn't do much, doesn't drag the team down. But he is a great fighter, knows when to fight, and is probably one of the better enforcers in the league. He is a massive improvement over SMac though, and if we have to have an enforcer, im fine with him

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Think it was Lawton who tweeted something about guys that clear waivers getting dealt today and he mention DD.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Wow, Dubnyk to MTL with salary retained by Nashville. Clearly they saw a situation that they were not interested in trying to fix.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Duby can be ok if he's a guy that's getting 15-20 starts or so, so Montreal could be an OK fit for him. I hated him as a starter/franchise goalie, but I don't wish him to getting tanked out of the league or anything like that. Hopefully he can settle into a decent back-up role.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Wow, Dubnyk to MTL with salary retained by Nashville. Clearly they saw a situation that they were not interested in trying to fix.

...or couldn't fix. Nashville fans seemed pretty confident their miracle worker goalie coach could repair his bad habits and he couldn't.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I think Duby can be ok if he's a guy that's getting 15-20 starts or so, so Montreal could be an OK fit for him. I hated him as a starter/franchise goalie, but I don't wish him to getting tanked out of the league or anything like that. Hopefully he can settle into a decent back-up role.

He'll have to earn a backup job out of camp, though. He's in Montreal strictly as a backup to the backup. His value is definitely AHL right now.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Got lucky on the call, was wrong about Omark.

I've applied for the GM position, open letter to Katz. No reply yet, hopefully they'll notice my elite armchair GM'ing and hire me on the spot without an interview.
Don't worry, if they hire you it will be with out an interview.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

He hung around as long as he did because this team never had any interest in improving up until this year.

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta
You know Dubnyk's contract is bad when...it takes THREE teams pay him to play in the AHL. Edmonton pays 50%, Nashville pays 25%, and now Montreal plays 25%.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You missed the pun. Dub supporters stated exactly that to shutney earlier in the thread yesterday. He was flippantly responding with tongue in cheek mirth.

I find it amazing that so many stats are chronically misconstrued and with this continuing to be the case.

To wit one year of good save % and GAA does not make a good goalie. It needs reminding that these are TEAM metrics and do not isolate goalie performance in any way. Although they are often erroneously cited to prop up whatever goalie.

Further, even though Dubs was associated with good Save % and GAA last season, which so many people like to state, Khabi, lol, actually had better stats.

For whatever reason the team last year, under Krueger gave their goalies much better chances to see and stop pucks. The team in general did better last year in front of whatever goalie was backstopping them.

Ah I c. Missed the tone.

Feel bad for kicking the guy when he is down but...

LOL. Traded to an AHL team at 25% his salary. Wow. That is funny.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Ah I c. Missed the tone.

Feel bad for kicking the guy when he is down but...

LOL. Traded to an AHL team at 25% his salary. Wow. That is funny.

AS a rental. With zero possibilities. Only there because TC's star OLympic netminder is temporarily out of the lineup with short term injury.

The situation couldn't possibly be worse for AHL bound Dubnyk.

Oh well, the Oilers for some reason made him a millionaire and got the Preds to pay out some of it lol.

Trotz has gotta be near done in Nashville. That was a horrible trade and then for owner to eat contract for a guy that played 2 games..:amazed:

Trotz is usually more astute than this, not sure whats going on with him. Burned out?

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
AS a rental. With zero possibilities. Only there because TC's star OLympic netminder is temporarily out of the lineup with short term injury.

The situation couldn't possibly be worse for AHL bound Dubnyk.

Oh well, the Oilers for some reason made him a millionaire and got the Preds to pay out some of it lol.

Trotz has gotta be near done in Nashville. That was a horrible trade and then for owner to eat contract for a guy that played 2 games..:amazed:

Trotz is usually more astute than this, not sure whats going on with him. Burned out?

Trotz is the coach, Pollie makes the trades... They just needed someone until Rinne came back and Rinne is back now so they waived him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad