Confirmed with Link: [EDM/NJD] Maroon for 2019 3rd Round Pick and JD Dudek

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I agree.
There are a couple of posters that are irredeemable (their agendas never really change) which I have on ignore but I try to use it only as an absolute last resort.
Maybe too stringent...perhaps I should rethink that. :nod:
I’m going to put some of the ‘always sunny in Chia’s world’ posters on ignore too.
But I won’t come here and brag about it after. :nod:

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I’m going to put some of the ‘always sunny in Chia’s world’ posters on ignore too.
But I won’t come here and brag about it after. :nod:

R1fdEt3.gif

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Hmm. I mean, I guess it's no surprise that Maroon got sent packing, but...

Where is the offense going to come from? This is what keeps getting worse on this team.

Last year, the Oilers scored 247 goals (8th). They currently have 177 goals (18th).

Here's how players are pacing (per a full season this year) for offense, compared to last year:

Lucic: 23 --> 12
Klefbom: 12 --> 4
Ebele: 28 --> Strome: 16
Maroon: 20 --> ?

So, if Lucic and Klefbom crap out again next year, and figuring this year is an average result for Strome and Maroon, that puts the Oilers down 49 goals from last year to next year.

Is Chiarelli, in fact, aware that the team can't score enough?

Let's hope that Yamamoto shows up and becomes a stud next season...

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Sad that "making the playoffs" is some kind of huge goal.

4th year in to McDavid and 5th year into Draisaitl's career ... the talk should be who is being added to get us to a Cup win.

That would be how it works with competent management, Oiler fans instead have to put up with this dog ****.

We can't even have management as good as Toronto or Calgary here.
Easssssssseey there partner. Calgary? lol The f*** has the "wizard" done down there to deserve such praise? Sold everything for Hamonic lol. HUGE failure. Good and garbage contracts. Let's Byron go for nothing. F*** up with Jagr.

The list goes on and on.

You're right, we do have bad goals if that is what we want to be.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Absolutely it's wait and see, but early returns are good on those guys. They seem to be going for actual players and avoiding the Abney's and Hesketh's.
I don't put much stock into Juniors performances anymore unless they're absolute standouts. At one point the 2010 and 2011 drafts looked like they were gonna be huge hauls for the Oilers. Instead the only relevant players from those drafts taken outside the first round are Pitlick, Davidson, and Reider.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Where is the offense going to come from? This is what keeps getting worse on this team.

Last year, the Oilers scored 247 goals (8th). They currently have 177 goals (18th).

Here's how players are pacing (per a full season this year) for offense, compared to last year:

So, if Lucic and Klefbom crap out again next year, and figuring this year is an average result for Strome and Maroon, that puts the Oilers down 49 goals from last year to next year.

Hence why I'm afraid that Chiarelli is going to do something like trading RNH/Klefbom for that purpose alone. And by doing so, I don't have any sort of optimism that he'll get a good deal in return.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Did this guy lose his job at OilersNation yet? *****, *****, *****....even last season.
Who is this guy anyways lol. A lawyer in TO?

He mouths off a lot. I remember another annoying fellow on the radio that Gregor got into an argument with.

Almost approaches Travis Yost annoying level.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Eberle had 20 goals last season.

Nuge has 17 and had 18 all of last season. He should top that when he returns.

Guys like Slepyshev, Caggiula, Khaira and Puljujarvi need to start scoring and we need to add more offense from the wing and defense.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
In the grand scheme of things, a guy like Maroon is one of many "professional" hockey players on th Edmonton Oilers franchise.

You cannot predict "which guy shows up" on a nightly basis.

Seriously. Just think about it.

Post the Oilers line up here and put in bold who you KNOW will show up whenever you decide to turn the tv on.

How many players can you guys name? I can't name more than a handful.

McDavid for the most part, Drai can even be suspect, Jujar, etc. Slepy.

Soundwave is right about incompetency.

Where the F*** is our pro scouting staff? How do we rarely hit on trades, etc?

Forget Todd M and even Chia for a second. It is a privilege to play and earn millions of dollars to play a sport.

Guys like Kassian, who got his x amount of chances, were ghosts for most of this season.

It's pathetic

All starts at the top...

I am not kicking a guy out of town either. I hope we somehow sign him to a decent deal unless some ape out there gives him the moon.

Where was Patrick for a lot of this year? He hid in the corner when the chips were down. Downright embarrassing defensively. No effort. Look up how many goals this guy didn't back check on.

That's what scares me honestly if they even try to sign him on July 1st. This guy is in a contract year and out up a putrid effort 80% of the season. Geez.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Seems like a fine trade. Was producing at a 4th line rate even strength this year without McDavid. Hard to argue he's worth more than Letestu this season.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Listening to Maroon's exit interview. It really sounds like we'll get him back. If so, this will be a huge win for Chia. Let's see what happens in Jersey.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
30 pages over Patrick Maroon? I liked the guy, but let’s be serious. He was going to either ask for a shit tonne of money, or walk for free.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
30 pages over Patrick Maroon? I liked the guy, but let’s be serious. He was going to either ask for a **** tonne of money, or walk for free.

He was a likable guy and had we not signed Lucic, would've been the first guy with skill to stand up for his teammates in a long, long time. IMO you can have one of Lucic or Maroon on your team unless Lucic gets his game going and somehow improves at the age of 30. If Patty really likes it here maybe we get him back for something like $2.5 million AAV X 4 years?

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
He was a likable guy and had we not signed Lucic, would've been the first guy with skill to stand up for his teammates in a long, long time. IMO you can have one of Lucic or Maroon on your team unless Lucic gets his game going and somehow improves at the age of 30. If Patty really likes it here maybe we get him back for something like $2.5 million AAV X 4 years?
I wish. You think he would ever sign that? I think anything under 4 is good for him (If he shows up 80% of the time).

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
His lack of motivation scares me like I said previously. Seriously. Screw the Oilers. If I am Maroon on an expiring contract after having a career year, I am busting my ass for a retirement contract. This guy seemed to mail it in. Seemed being the operative word.

I'm not walking in his shoes. Maybe he's had a nagging injury.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
That's actually pretty funny, considering that I work in consulting and regularly coach my clients on negotiating situations based on game theory.

I guess the reason I'm not willing to accept the return as market value is that Chia has shown a general inability to receive market value for players, in particular, when dealing with Shero and Snow.

Ebs trade was not returning market value without bringing on salary, it was a dump. Larson was arguably equal value at the time and we were trading for a desperate need. Hard to get market value when the entire league knew we were desperate.

Reactions: Ck1

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Yet he couldn't even trade Cammalleri who has been on a hot streak as of late? What about the playing time for the young kids like JP after the trade deadline? Or will JP continue to waste away in the 4th line, while guys like Looch and Cammalleri get continuous top 6 minutes.
Like I said, I have no optimism when it comes to Chiarelli. I already bank on him trading Klefbom/RNH after this season for even more underwhelming returns.
And to think we actually do have a player in Slepyshev, and yet the coaching staff refused to play him, and our GM literally laid him out there to trade for anything.
Scouting is still a wait and see, sure.. but would've been nice to have DeBrincat over Benson imo.

Nobody wanted Cammi. FFS people.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
30 pages over Patrick Maroon? I liked the guy, but let’s be serious. He was going to either ask for a **** tonne of money, or walk for free.
About 29 of them are a continuation of the crap going on in the #firechia thread. If you want to read the same argument repeated forty or so times just head on over there. Apparently if you don't agree with them you're 'not Oiler fans'. Getting pretty preachy.

Reactions: trent_vinyl

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nobody wanted Cammi. FFS people.
Exactly. Nick Shore, a 25 year old kid with team control netted a 7th in 2019. There was no market for Cammy. And honestly, I'm probably floating him a one year deal at the end of the year for $1m if he's able to keep scoring at a decent click. He's been exciting to watch over the last little while and he seems to be elevating some of the guys around him. Cheap effective depth is what we need next season.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Last season on Feb 27th EDM had scored 177 GF, this year we have scored 174 G.

Scoring in general seems to be up and we are definitely scoring better at EV.

My bet was that EDM would have upped their game and remained top 10 in scoring, but that didn't happen despite us scoring as well as last year. What I didn't predict that this team would be posting one of the worst PP% of the last decade coupled with the fewest PP opportunities (by a fair margin I might add) and at the same time literally the worst PK% of the last decade so guess I will have to eat crow for that outlandish prediction...

February 27 2017 vs February 27 2018

Lucic 13 G --> 9 G
Klefbom 11 G --> 3 G
Maroon 20 G --> 14 G (seeing as the season is over I don't know why we worry about the replacements right now...)
Drai 23 G --> 20 G

Eberle 12 G --> Strome 12 G

RNH 13 G --> 16 G
McD 20 G --> 27 G
Khaira 1 G --> 10 G
Puljujarvi 1 G --> 9 G
Slepyshev 3 G --> 5 G

Reactions: Seachd

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think Joe Dudek is going to make some of you look silly. Good hands and wheels from what I can tell. Worse case scenario he goes to the AHL and helps round out that team.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I think Joe Dudek is going to make some of you look silly. Good hands and wheels from what I can tell. Worse case scenario he goes to the AHL and helps round out that team.

I know some people thought he was a throw in to balance contracts but he's in the NCAA. He doesn't have a contract yet.

The Oilers probably have seen quite a bit of him while checking on McPhee and Rasanen. There must be something there that they liked.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Listening to Maroon's exit interview. It really sounds like we'll get him back. If so, this will be a huge win for Chia. Let's see what happens in Jersey.
Many players say those things.

He won't be back except for an overpay.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

Do you happen to know why his stats are so modest? Is he not getting PP time or is he playing in lower lines? He seems to have 17 points so far, while the best scorer has 56 points. The total points don't tell everything, but when you've scored less than a third compared to the leader in about as many games it probably says something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad