Confirmed with Link: [EDM/MIN] Ilya Bryzgalov for MIN 4th Round Pick 2014

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Can someone tell me why the **** Smid was traded? Anyone?

Bryz didn't make enough money(pro-rated) to force the Smid move, and they took on more contracts than they moved out in the Smid trade.

It's more likely Smid was traded because he asked out and/or didn't fit in with Eakins.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Bryz didn't make enough money(pro-rated) to force the Smid move, and they took on more contracts than they moved out in the Smid trade.

It's more likely Smid was traded because he asked out and/or didn't fit in with Eakins.

They didn't take on more contracts.
Smid & Roy for Brossoit & Horak.

Oiler66666

May 7, 2012
Alberta
Can someone tell me why the **** Smid was traded? Anyone?

Hated the trade but Brossoit IS having a very good year in the ECHL after a shaky start in the AHL.

24gp 2.14GAA 0.922PCT 4shutouts

Long term project but he has been good at every level except the 9 AHL games.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
We traded Smid to make room for Bryzgalov so we could trade him for a 4th.

This is what I don't like about the this trade.

However, Fasth and Scrivens is such a big upgrade over Barb and Dub and marginally better than Byrz and Srcivens.

Nice to see the Oilers improve their goaltending.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Hated the trade but Brossoit IS having a very good year in the ECHL after a shaky start in the AHL.

24gp 2.14GAA 0.922PCT 4shutouts

Long term project but he has been good at every level except the 9 AHL games.

He actually has 6 shutouts in the ECHL this year.
Didn't let a in a goal in all of his games for Alaska.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This is what I don't like about the this trade.

However, Fasth and Scrivens is such a big upgrade over Barb and Dub and marginally better than Byrz and Srcivens.

Nice to see the Oilers improve their goaltending.

Can't agree at all that Fasth is better than Bryz.

I would say with certainty that Bryz and Scrivens would be a better pairing going forward if this was possible.

Most concerning is this puts the oil back into a no Bonafide #1 again. We have two backups. We've tried that before..

I like Bryz pushing Scrivens a whole lot more than Scrivens now getting the lionshare and Fasth the odd game.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Can't agree at all that Fasth is better than Bryz.

I would say with certainty that Bryz and Scrivens would be a better pairing going forward if this was possible.

Most concerning is this puts the oil back into a no Bonafide #1 again. We have two backups. We've tried that before..

I like Bryz pushing Scrivens a whole lot more than Scrivens now getting the lionshare and Fasth the odd game.

Scrivens will definitely be splitting games with Fasth, Fasth was borderline elite last season. This year he's had injury problems.

Bryzgalov certainly wasn't a bonafide number one, and I don't believe he wanted to be here, nor do I think his play was all that spectacular. I think Fasth is just as if not more likely to push Scrivens as Bryzgalov was.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Smid was traded because we wanted to tank with Potter/Larsen on our roster. Lol.

Don't mind this trade though. Bryz wasn't in the long term plans.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Scrivens will definitely be splitting games with Fasth, Fasth was borderline elite last season. This year he's had injury problems.

Bryzgalov certainly wasn't a bonafide number one, and I don't believe he wanted to be here, nor do I think his play was all that spectacular. I think Fasth is just as if not more likely to push Scrivens as Bryzgalov was.

Bryz played very well here. Surely theres a also more of a sample size with knowing Bryz is a competent NHL starter.

Fasth is a relative unknown at this level

Theres no basis whatsoever in which to suggest that Fasth is a better goalie.

I'll bet we've given up the better one here today.

ps borderline elite? c'mon. Lets look at perspective here and how Anaheim makes any goalie look lights out.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Bryz played very well here. Surely theres a also more of a sample size with knowing Bryz is a competent NHL starter.

Fasth is a relative unknown at this level

Theres no basis whatsoever in which to suggest that Fasth is a better goalie.

I'll bet we've given up the better one here today.

ps borderline elite? c'mon. Lets look at perspective here and how Anaheim makes any goalie look lights out.

I guess I disagree. Bryzgalov was the laughing stock of the league for the two seasons prior to this. And Fasth was a great goalie last year.

And I don't think Bryzgalov had any interest in staying here anyway.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well look... Bryz almost definitely did not want to re-sign in Edmonton so it's basically moot trying to compare whether Bryz/Scrivens would be better than Fasth/Scrivens.

I would have been happy with Bryz signing a deal similar to Scrivens (maybe a bit more seeing as he's more experienced and established) but it just wasn't to be.

Fasth/Scrivens has the potential to be a solid tandem... at least average and maybe even good.

I say this from someone who was "meh" on the Scrivens signing thinking he would be barely an upgrade on Dubnyk but he's certainly looked good in his play here so far.

Fasth isn't old either... for a goalie he's essentially in his prime years (25-35) so I think it's a good addition.

He's only signed for 1 year as well and the Oilers can afford the $2.9 million cap hit.

If they have 2 goalies that can give them essentially average goaltending for ~$5 million... it's hard to argue with that.

Now fix the 15 other problems on the team MacT.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I guess I disagree. Bryzgalov was the laughing stock of the league for the two seasons prior to this. And Fasth was a great goalie last year.

And I don't think Bryzgalov had any interest in staying here anyway.

Bryz seems to be misunderstood. A lot of his distraction was attempts at humor in the midst of playing on brutal clubs both here and in Philly. Some of the media were intelligent enough to figure out Bryz game and how he would occupy the media. His team mates in Philly should have been buying him beers for how effectively he occupied the Philly media.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Well look... Bryz almost definitely did not want to re-sign in Edmonton so it's basically moot trying to compare whether Bryz/Scrivens would be better than Fasth/Scrivens.

I would have been happy with Bryz signing a deal similar to Scrivens (maybe a bit more seeing as he's more experienced and established) but it just wasn't to be.

Fasth/Scrivens has the potential to be a solid tandem... at least average and maybe even good.

I say this from someone who was "meh" on the Scrivens signing thinking he would be barely an upgrade on Dubnyk but he's certainly looked good in his play here so far.

Fasth isn't old either... for a goalie he's essentially in his prime years (25-35) so I think it's a good addition.

He's only signed for 1 year as well and the Oilers can afford the $2.9 million cap hit.

If they have 2 goalies that can give them essentially average goaltending for ~$5 million... it's hard to argue with that.

Now fix the 15 other problems on the team MacT.
From what I have seen of MacT right now he doesn't want the draft picks so maybe he trades some of our plugs for picks and uses those to land some good roster players

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

I've heard posters speculate on this. I've seen nothing concrete. Mind I was working today and not glued to all the latest. Whats the scoop?

ps "almost definitely"

:D

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Bryz seems to be misunderstood. A lot of his distraction was attempts at humor in the midst of playing on brutal clubs both here and in Philly. Some of the media were intelligent enough to figure out Bryz game and how he would occupy the media. His team mates in Philly should have been buying him beers for how effectively he occupied the Philly media.

He was the laughing stock because of how bad he played and his huge contract, not because he did funny interviews.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He was the laughing stock because of how bad he played and his huge contract, not because he did funny interviews.

Ok, thanks, fair enough. I had trouble disentangling how bad Flyers were from Bryz play. Plus that its the why play D EC so..

Any goalies that wants to build a resume should just refuse to play in the East on principle. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad