Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] F Sam Gagner signs with the Oilers (1 year, $775k, two-way)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Oilers are stupid if they think Sammy Snowpants can help. Had 2 good shifts last year. He is way past done.
I think there is more to it than just a regular #13th forward signing.

The locker room needs some vocal leadership which he brings. The younger guys need a voice to lean on. I'm sure Gagner has enough stories from slumps from his early years to calm guys like Holloway and McLeod down. Finally I think they want to let Lavoie play a bit more before having to call him up.

With that being said I won't be shocked or mad if in a week or two he's on waivers and retires either.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
I think there is more to it than just a regular #13th forward signing.

The locker room needs some vocal leadership which he brings. The younger guys need a voice to lean on. I'm sure Gagner has enough stories from slumps from his early years to calm guys like Holloway and McLeod down. Finally I think they want to let Lavoie play a bit more before having to call him up.

With that being said I won't be shocked or mad if in a week or two he's on waivers and retires either.
He won't bring that. Never was him. He was a streaky skill guy in his prime. Now he is toast. Taking up a young guy slot.

• Haha
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He's probably an upgrade on Erne but I have a feeling we will be upgrading on Gagner before long. We have some good bottom sixers but the couple players on the fringe of that group just don't have it. I like Gagner but he has been showing his age for years and that's not going to get better all of a sudden. He may be doing well in the AHL but that doesn't mean much

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He’s had an interesting career from top prospect to hyped NHLer to bust to role player. Credit to him for lasting this long and adjusting his game as needed to hang on.

People forget that his rookie year as an 18 year-old (and he had just turned 18 as he was young for his draft year), he scored like 50 points.

It’s a real testament to the old adage “development isn’t linear” or a straight rocket ship to the moon even if you step into the league and are great very early on. As hyped as we get every year for the new thing that is a sure fire franchise star - you’re gonna end up with a few Gagner’s as well even if nobody is going to project that.

Looking back he busted from beig a top end player, but his first 10 seasons were extremely solid if you remove 6th oa expectations.

519 pts in 1015 games and counting

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Love gagner . He's been a solid bottom sixer for a while if he's healthy he should be an upgrade .

Reactions: zar

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
People will make fun of this. I get it.

Honestly, he will be just fine as a 4C/13th forward. He can jump on PP2 and will be a great add for the locker room. It’s a league min salary.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I imagine even if you look at the typical ~6th OA pick he’s had a pretty solid career.

Yeah, solid is probably the right word. If we look at the draft of all time he probably is a slightly below average. But yea from around his draft years it's still a solid pic together with guys like Hartnell and OEL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad