Waived: [EDM] F Adam Erne waived by the Oilers (cleared)

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Normally, I'd agree with this take if we had players that could produce in those roles. Getting your 1st point from a bottom 6 player 8 games into the season is abysmal.

That stat is crazy, to be honest. No excuse, but those Bottom six guys never get any offensive opportunity at all. It is shocking how much oxygen goes to the big guns, more lopsided than any other team, from an eye test perspective. Pretty tough to find a rhythm when you never get out there for any O opps. I think it is a git demoralizing how they are used to be honest.

And I know when you have two of the best players in the world, they get the minutes. I just don't think you can compare this top 6 to other teams situation- no matter how abysmal the stat is.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
That stat is crazy, to be honest. No excuse, but those Bottom six guys never get any offensive opportunity at all. It is shocking how much oxygen goes to the big guns, more lopsided than any other team, from an eye test perspective. Pretty tough to find a rhythm when you never get out there for any O opps. I think it is a git demoralizing how they are used to be honest.

And I know when you have two of the best players in the world, they get the minutes. I just don't think you can compare this top 6 to other teams situation- no matter how abysmal the stat is.
Thing is, bottom-6 scoring was just fine last season. They actually outscored the opponents when they were on the ice.

I would agree though, that the Oilers haven't been particularly good at keeping their entire lineup involved. Which is a shame, because if the 3rd line is doing decently and the 4th is not a completele waste of space it is beneficial to the whole team. If the bottom six doesn't get slaughtered it is hard for opponents to beat the Oilers, because of how powerful the top 6 is, And if the bottom 6 is involved and doing fine, you don't have to let McDavid and Draisaitl play crazy minutes. For as much as they like to play a lot, they do tend to get a bit tired and sloppy when they have to play too much.

Reactions: bobbyb2009

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Should be Lavoie being called up, but will probably end up being Gagner.
Lavoie probably benefits more from playing in AHL than sitting in the box.

I don't get your point.... Are you trying to say that unless the bottom six guys get 20+ minutes per game, no goal in 6 games is normal???

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee

Normally I'd agree with your take as I have a big gripe with Paul Maurice not giving the 4th line more than single digit ice-times each game but a quick glance at some recent box scores and although the ice-times are a bit more top-heavy than other teams, the bottom 6 is all getting on average within the 10-13 minute range of ice time, around 10 shifts less than the big boys. That's pretty standard I'd say.

Erne is the one standout who's been getting way less ice-time than everyone so this waive was telegraphed by most paying attention I'd guess. Also, it looks like Foegele scored 1G 1A in game 3 of the season and I believe he plays on the 3rd line judging by his minutes AND he has 4 points in 8 games so the original stat is incorrect if I'm not mistaken.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I don't get your point.... Are you trying to say that unless the bottom six guys get 20+ minutes per game, no goal in 6 games is normal???

Not even close to what I was saying. And sorry for being unclear. It is crazy how unproductive the bottom 6 has been!! My point was that I think Edmonton has not been bringing the entire team into the fight (and motivating all, giving the bottom 6 any confidence etc) by overlying on their top heavy ultra talented top of the lineup, and this contributes to both the low production and the poor results. They have not found a balance as a team. They are so talented and so much better than this start to the season, and this is one of there issues I would point to as an explanation. But what do I know. Hope that makes a bit more sense than my last attempt. Cheers

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB

While they do get limited minutes, when we go 11-7, those bottom 5 players get minutes with McDavid, Drai or Nuge and still couldn't even manage a single point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad