Waived: [EDM] D Markus Niemelainen waived by the Oilers (cleared)

puckguy97

Oct 12, 2023
Expected now that he's finally healthy. Also gives the Oilers a little more latitude to bring up someone they would rather have up here (ie Ben Gleason).

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I can too. He's not amazing, but he hasn't looked completely out of place at the NHL level either, and he's a big hitter. If someone wants a bruiser on the blueline, he might get picked up. Might be early enough in the year that he slips on through though.
Slips through? He will walk, march, moonwalk through with no GM giving any thought to this dime-a-dozen waiver fodder.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Sure, dime a dozen Dman but someone who like big hits. A GM looking to add a cheap/young #7 Dman who can be inserted against certain opponents may put in a claim.
No one is looking for a #7 dman. No one.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
While I believe he clears, this statement is ridiculous. So you acknowledge other claims were of lesses skill but for sure he will pass here? Flawed logic
I acknowledged that worst players have cleared. I also acknowledge that better players have cleared. The bottom line is that he is a player you don't have to worry about not clearing.

Reactions: Czechboy

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I can see a bottom feeder taking a chance on him
Doubtful (as a fan of a bottom feeder). Everyone has their roster set and their own long-term plans. If he can't crack a poor Defensive team through his waiver-exempt years while making dirt cheap money (not to mention he's 25, not 23), he's likely just not a player that factors into anyone's 3-5 year plans unless they are really high on their tape of him, compared to whatever the Oilers are seeing internally, for whatever reason.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
You never know who gets claimed anymore. If a manager liked him at one time, sometimes they like to take their own look.. especially if they have injuries…. Canucks… as good as they played on opening night, Hirose got pushed around some… Maybe they take a look.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Don’t think he gets claimed, nothing he does really stands out. He’s cheap but pretty useless and seems to get hurt a lot

You never know who gets claimed anymore. If a manager liked him at one time, sometimes they like to take their own look.. especially if they have injuries…. Canucks… as good as they played on opening night, Hirose got pushed around some… Maybe they take a look.
Hirose was playing because Soucy is injured. They also can’t afford to take on anymore cap

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
He skates well for his size and plays physical but has issues moving the puck at times and can be a bit inconsistent with his positioning.

Reactions: mattihp

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I could see Columbus having a bit of interest looking at their left handed depth organizationally.

He's a guy that can fill in on a bottom pair and when he likely clears waivers, he's a solid top four D on the farm.

His NHL resume is full of some pretty notable hits.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
He might get claimed if there's a team out there looking for an easy depth replacement due to a recent injury. Otherwise, he'll clear easily

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I hope the Flames replace Oesterle with him. Ofc I hope Kylington come back at some point but that is looking unlikely.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Sure, dime a dozen Dman but someone who like big hits. A GM looking to add a cheap/young #7 Dman who can be inserted against certain opponents may put in a claim.

I've given up on understanding half of who ends up claimed and who doesn't, but Niemelainen seems like the sort that somebody at the bottom-end might actually take a flyer on.

He's youngish, has actually shown that he doesn't look horrifically out of place...and it's not farfetched to see somebody thinking they might be picking up their own potential Niko Mikkola in the making. Which is either useful adding some size and grit to a young/small/developing team's back end...or even potentially flipping for some other little asset at some future trade deadline where that type of depth player are specifically coveted, even when they're more of a #6/7D.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I can see him slipping through at this point (no camp to gain chemistry) but he's probably not that much worse than NHL players playing now like Andreas Englund.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad