Confirmed Trade: [EDM/CHI] Duncan Keith and Tim Soderlund for Caleb Jones and Conditional 2nd/3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evergreen

Am I the only one who doesn't think this is awful for Edmonton? They need leadership, D that can skate, and Keith's cap hit isn't really all that bad. Keith averaged over 23 minutes/game last season. I know he's not nearly what he once was, but he's not a useless corpse like some people are saying in here.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
We should have listened to you guys about Holland just like we should have listened to the Bruins fans about Chiarelli. Holland and Chia are the same GM basically, wasting McDavid's career little by little.

To the Hawks fans in this thread, boy was I and a lot of other Oilers fans wrong. We never imagined that Holland would be this stupid but it turns out that he is indeed... this stupid.

Don’t get me wrong he did a lot of good things for this franchise and deserves a lot of credit over the years for what he accomplished but he definitely had a lot of help which I think some seem to ignore

At least another fan base will see first hand what kind of GM he is, I can’t believe how badly Chia and Holland have pissed away this much of McDavids career

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Don’t get me wrong he did a lot of good things for this franchise and deserves a lot of credit over the years for what he accomplished but he definitely had a lot of help which I think some seem to ignore

At least another fan base will see first hand what kind of GM he is, I can’t believe how badly Chia and Holland have pissed away this much of McDavids career

So did Chiarelli in Boston haha. Trust me, I'm laughing on the outside but crying on the inside.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
The only thing more impressive than Hyman never giving up on the ice is how leaf fans can give up on him off the ice
It's not about giving up on him. It's about not over committing to a player with a style of play that will destroy his body. If the Leafs can re-up Hyman for 2-3 years I'd be thrilled. However, that won't be the case. He'll be sought after and offered money + term.

Take a look at similarily skilled guys who play hard like him and when they start to go downhill. Simmonds, Lucic, Clarkson, etc. Like them, Hyman isn't good enough to get by on skill alone. He's 29 and plays a physical, hard working game. Not a great combination long term unfortunately.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I hate to say it but Tambellini's less aggressive approach probably would have built a better team then what Chia left Holland to work with.

Reactions: AleksandarN

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
If we make it 3 rounds and Keith was one of our top 4 guys than a 2nd is worth it.

I just don't like tying up the pick
I won’t complain about the trade if they win a Cup. That’s the goal. But to trade decent assets and take on Keith’s full contract at the end of his career is poor asset management IMO. I feel like Holland tried to take a step forward but went two steps back with this move.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Most reports have Chicago absolutely unwilling to retain.

If that's true, and what's going back isn't James Neal, this trade is a loss for the Oilers almost regardless of what else is going back. Adding Keith at 5.5 severely hampers our ability to improve in places we actually need to improve, which is in goal and top 6 forwards.

If the immediate take from the team's beat writer is "hot damn, money for a better defenceman" I have serious concerns.

agree and shocking this is true

flip side of this is if at some pt you want Buch + Howden for Broberg and I give you a discount side deal on Reunanen, Keith is veteran stopgap temp defrays loss of Broberg while you add scoring W Buch.

A big unknown here is what kind of wheels DK has.
5-6 yrs ago Chara looked toast, then got a 2nd wind skating wise; very impressive.

Ementy

May 11, 2010
So Bowman managed to get Caleb Jones for the Seth negotiations, dump a contract, create cap space for Seth, drop a declining player and add a pick.

and he paid nothing for it basically.

Holland just rebuilt the Blackhawks basically. Same as Chia did for New Jersey.

The North giveth and doth not taketh.
Not to mention gets to protect an extra defenseman in the expansion draft..While we are now forced to protect him and a gonna be injured till playoffs Klefbom

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Am I the only one who doesn't think this is awful for Edmonton? They need leadership, D that can skate, and Keith's cap hit isn't really all that bad. Keith averaged over 23 minutes/game last season. I know he's not nearly what he once was, but he's not a useless corpse like some people are saying in here.

it is about risk. holland played chelios and larionov into their 40s so obviously he is comfortable with it.

but i think nobody in their right mind would sign keith to a 2x5.5m cap hit right now let alone pay meaningful assets for the privilege.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I've been ragging on the Oilers and their loser culture and lack of leadership for some time now...

But gotta say, this is a right move. Good for them.

Reactions: kurtcobang

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
We should have listened to you guys about Holland just like we should have listened to the Bruins fans about Chiarelli. Holland and Chia are the same GM basically, wasting McDavid's career little by little.

To the Hawks fans in this thread, boy was I and a lot of other Oilers fans wrong. We never imagined that Holland would be this stupid but it turns out that he is indeed... this stupid.

The silver lining here is that Wings and Oilers fans on this forum can now commiserate over how Holland crapped on their teams.

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton
He never asked to solely go to Edmonton, he had a list of teams, some didn’t want him (Vancouver) the others did
He had to waive his no clause to come to Edmonton. Therefore he agreed to go. You have no idea what is and what is not desirable for every person. For Keith it was desirable to come to Edmonton for family. Last year it was desirable for Tyson Barrie to take a discount to play with McDrai so that he can make the big bucks for his next contract. Without going into reasons you don't care about, I find living in Edmonton to be the best place for me. Point being, What you may find desirable may not be the same for someone else.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
So Edmonton’s defenseman next season could look like
1st Pair LD Nurse RD Larsson < If resigned
2nd Pair LD Keith RD Bouchard
3rd Pair LD Russell RD Bear

LD Lagesson
LD Klefbom + LTIR
LD Koekkoek < maybe if resigned

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Chicago already had 9 open contract spots. I don't think having Soderlund on the roster makes any difference, unless they're playing on signing 10 new players.
Oilers are at 32 spots so adding more isn't an issue..
Any scouting report on the other guy? Never heard of him before

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
He's at best a two-bit Ryan Reaves wannabe.

So no.

I struggle to understand why this is so catastrophic then. You get a vet defenseman who’s won everything under the sun, can still play, they have the cap space and they give up a third rounder? Whoop de doo

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I can understand Edmonton's fans thinking we got a 37 year old defense man @ 5.5 . However keith is a absolute stud who is in fantastic condition and shape for his age and what he brings to the team is a strong work ethic. Winning attitude and vast knowledge he can share to help a young team make it to the next step. He is also a top 4 defense man maybe you don't play him 28 minutes a night but he is fully capable and having a fresh start for him with a young group who's talented will make his life easier .

Edmonton fans I promise you once you see him play and talk you'll truly respect him and appreciate what he will bring to your team leadership.

Chicago gets a young Caleb who has potential but not top 4 and it's a conditional 3rd round that can become a 2nd round if Edmonton reaches the Cup amd keith is top 4 in TOI in 3 series . Best of luck keith for every magical moment you created here in chicago

Reactions: HockeyWooot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad