Proposal: EDM - CAL

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
A somewhat silly proposal, as it involves the two rivals... But it is almost summer, plus it's a move that would help fix both teams' defences.

Stone for Russell.

Both have similar contracts and are more or less the same tier of defenceman, but each would fill the need on the other's defence better.

Calgary would get a second LD that's able to consistently cover for his partner. Flames fans saw this work years ago with Russell and Wideman as the 2nd pairing, or if they followed the Oil last season, Russell and a healthy Sekera.

This would allow the team to move Brodie back to the right side with Gio, where he's looked his best, while still giving Hamilton someone that's going to cover for him. This lets Hamonic slide to the 3rd pairing and babysit whoever ends up there, and jump up into the top 4 when needed.

Giordano-Brodie
Russell-Hamilton
_____(Kulak?)-Hamonic

On the other hand, Edmonton manages to solve its overload of expensive left side defenceman, and let each of Klefbom, Sekera, and Nurse play on their dominate side. Stone also gives the team a RH triggerman on the blueline, which is its biggest need. But unlike other options out there, he's still reliable defensively. A nice fact as outside a healthy Sekera, I'm not sure I trust any of the LHD to truely anchor a pairing in the defensive zone, and the team only has one Larsson.

The Oil would still need one more body on defence, but they could round it off by still chasing after Green or Faulk, or grabbing a cheaper #5/6 defenceman like Gunnarsson or bringing back Davidson.

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Green
Nurse-Stone

Or...

Nurse-Larsson
Sekera-Stone
Klefbom-Gunnarsson

Basically each team swaps their 4th best L/R side defenceman, and gets back a guy who would become their 2nd best R/L side defenceman. Both players do have NTC's, but I can't see either being that opposed to the move. Both cited proximity to family as a big reason for signing where they did, and this doesn't change that.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
A somewhat silly proposal, as it involves the two rivals... But it is almost summer, plus it's a move that would help fix both teams' defences.

Stone for Russell.

Both have similar contracts and are more or less the same tier of defenceman, but each would fill the need on the other's defence better.

Calgary would get a second LD that's able to consistently cover for his partner. Flames fans saw this work years ago with Russell and Wideman as the 2nd pairing, or if they followed the Oil last season, Russell and a healthy Sekera.

This would allow the team to move Brodie back to the right side with Gio, where he's looked his best, while still giving Hamilton someone that's going to cover for him. This lets Hamonic slide to the 3rd pairing and babysit whoever ends up there, and jump up into the top 4 when needed.

Giordano-Brodie
Russell-Hamilton
_____(Kulak?)-Hamonic

On the other hand, Edmonton manages to solve its overload of expensive left side defenceman, and let each of Klefbom, Sekera, and Nurse play on their dominate side. Stone also gives the team a RH triggerman on the blueline, which is its biggest need. But unlike other options out there, he's still reliable defensively. A nice fact as outside a healthy Sekera, I'm not sure I trust any of the LHD to truely anchor a pairing in the defensive zone, and the team only has one Larsson.

The Oil would still need one more body on defence, but they could round it off by still chasing after Green or Faulk, or grabbing a cheaper #5/6 defenceman like Gunnarsson or bringing back Davidson.

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Green
Nurse-Stone

Or...

Nurse-Larsson
Sekera-Stone
Klefbom-Gunnarsson

Basically each team swaps their 4th best L/R side defenceman, and gets back a guy who would become their 2nd best R/L side defenceman. Both players do have NTC's, but I can't see either being that opposed to the move. Both cited proximity to family as a big reason for signing where they did, and this doesn't change that.
I like it. A lot.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
seems like a good deal but idk if russell would waive to got back to calgary

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Few points why Calgary doesn't touch this:

1. Doesn't do anything for Calgary.
  2. Stone is 5th on Calgary's D chart.
  3. We need to clear out bottom pair D to make room for Andersson, not add more.
  4. Gio/Hamilton won't be split. Russ is not an upgrade on Brodie, not even close.
  5. Calgary doesn't need the extra year of paying a bottom pairing guy 4 million.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
seems like a good deal but idk if russell would waive to got back to calgary

Russell was only willing to play for Calgary/Edmonton really.
His farm is in Caroline AB, which is like 1 1/2 hours for Calgary; for farm/rodeo guys like him, that's a no-big-deal commute to work.

In fact, Calgary was going to sign him when his contract came out a couple years back, but there were some contractual issues at the time; left to sign with Edmonton. Couldn't have been a better 'whoops' situation.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Kris has the heart of a lion but has his limitations in all areas of the game. At $4 million for 3 more year, I don’t see a single contract I’d be willing to move for him. Even the Brouwer contract only has 2 more years and can be bought out after next year. I’d be a player on Russell at $2.5 million but as it sits, it’s just too much term and salary

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Russell’s days as a Flame are long gone. This trade does nothing for us since we give up the better player.

Russell constantly falling on the ice to block a shot is not covering for anyone.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Russell is gross, he blocks shots and he's a character guy, but he's terrible along the boards, and his positioning can be described as gross.

He makes 500k more then Stone and has one year longer as a contract.

No thanks, I'd rather have Stone who's more well suited to the bottom pairing, but can move up when needed.

At the end of Russell's tenure in Calgary we couldn't wait for him to leave.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Russell’s contract is pretty terrible in my opinion. Stones isn’t great either but much less of a cap hit. Would only entertain this if Edmonton either are eating a bad contract from the Flames (Brouwer) or added a significant future.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Few points why Calgary doesn't touch this:
We need to clear out bottom pair D to make room for Andersson, not add more.

That's pretty much it. Flames might move Stone for a pick, but not for another D

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Hmm, I'm surprised Flames fans are universally oppossed. Russell has the extra year, but the cap hit's simular, and I'd argue he's preformed better than Stone over the last few years. (Not that it makes a ton difference overall, as they both okay #4's/ good #5's at the end of the day.)

Though I do remember him not being perticularly loved near the end of his time in Calgary ahaha. Still I would have thought the chance to get Brodie back to right side would have had fans jumping.

Honestly though what would be the going rate on Stone for just picks? Calgary doesn't utilize him much offensively behind Gio, Brodie, and Hamilton, but as said he'd be a decent fit in Edmonton.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Honestly though what would be the going rate on Stone for just picks? Calgary doesn't utilize him much offensively behind Gio, Brodie, and Hamilton, but as said he'd be a decent fit in Edmonton.

I'd target a 3rd from non-division teams but a 2nd if he was to be traded in division.

And Russell is not that bad, but the extra year and slightly higher hit would definitely require an asset add from Edmonton's side imo. Ideally I'd want to throw Brouwer in but he'd be by far the worst asset in the deal.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Hmm, I'm surprised Flames fans are universally oppossed. Russell has the extra year, but the cap hit's simular, and I'd argue he's preformed better than Stone over the last few years. (Not that it makes a ton difference overall, as they both okay #4's/ good #5's at the end of the day.)

Though I do remember him not being perticularly loved near the end of his time in Calgary ahaha. Still I would have thought the chance to get Brodie back to right side would have had fans jumping.

Russell is just terrible, along the boards he's terrible, his positioning is terrible, he blocks shots like he does and that's great but it pretty much just causes turnovers.

At least if we trade Stone for pick(s) we're getting rid of a 3.5 million dollar cap hit.

But no to Russell, he's a great person, but a bad defenseman now.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
So the Oilers - who are offensively inept from the backend - trade for D who is MORE offensively inept than Russell. No thanks.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So the Oilers - who are offensively inept from the backend - trade for D who is MORE offensively inept than Russell. No thanks.

Stone has an absolute bomb from the point, Flames certainly have never used it. I don’t think anyone’s used him as a triggerman

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

We're willing to move Stone because Andersson has top 4 potential and appears to be NHL ready, swapping Stone for Russell doesn't make a ton of sense as it would just push Kulak out of the lineup into the #7 slot and would be a roadblock to Valimaki for 3 more years.

The main people that hated on Russell are the advanced stats crowd (they're mostly the same group that hates on Stone). When we acquired Russell, I hated it, but he played well in a 4/5 role as you stated and was truly a heart and soul player. I for one would welcome Russell back, but not at that term or AAV, even when he was a UFA, I didn't want to give him more than 2 years @ 3 million.

As for the cost to acquire Stone, I think his value is underrated because of the role he played for the Flames and the cost we paid for him. But, I feel the trade to Calgary, was Chayka doing Stone a solid as he and his wife had just had twins and with her family being from Calgary it gave them extra help. I think had Chayka listened to offers and taken the best one, he'd have gotten more than a 3rd and a conditional 5th. I think he easily would have landed a 2nd and a mid-level prospect (like Calgary got for Russell). Most don't agree with me, but I still think Stone can return a 2nd at the very least.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd pass. I love Russell, and I think people look at advanced stats far too often and make an opinion about him just based on that. However, Calgary doesn't need him. If Stone is dealt, it's to free up a spot for Andersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad