Proposal: EDM - BUF

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I may have missed on the trade proposal, but you don't actually think the Oilers would let Draisaitl walk for nothing.
Yes, I do. I think they will take a second run at a Cup with both superstar players rather than trade him early and wonder if they might have won in June 2025 with both superstars instead of praying at the altar of the asset management gods.

Edmonton's window exists while both players are Oilers. Maybe that's another 10 years. Maybe it's coming far quicker than that. I don't think they will accept just this one kick at the can and then pack it in, selling him for futures rather than ensuring one more guaranteed playoff run, and maybe seeing if he has a change of heart between the 2025 trade deadline and July 2025.

Much changes if they win the Cup in June 2024, of course. Yet if he's moving on, the Oilers become a much less dynamic club. That's worth going for it with expiring contracts instead of recouping assets. Contenders don't engage in asset management. They load up with pending UFAs and then spend the cap space in the summer. This would just be keeping their own UFA to make another run.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
What if Draisaitl won't sign for the number Edmonton offers and Buffalo decides next year is THEIR year and go all in?

:edmonton

Jiri Kulich C
Matthew Savoie C
Devon Levi G
Isak Rosen LW

*Edit - cough* I may have missed a guy like...
Dylan Cousins

:sabres

Leon Draisaitl extension pre negotiated

Buffalo's line up remains largely intact with a few lesser pieces gone on expiring contracts and an elite #1C in his prime entering the building. This could lead to Buffalo's first Stanley Cup.

The Oilers rebuild their prospect pool and look towards an era post Draisaitl and possibly post McDavid when the time comes.

It would come down to the extension price, too. I mean 8 years at $15 M and Buffalo gives up this much, that would be tough. Might still do it. At 7 years and $13.5 M, it would look amazing.

Reactions: TFHockey

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
What if Draisaitl won't sign for the number Edmonton offers and Buffalo decides next year is THEIR year and go all in?

:edmonton

Jiri Kulich C
Matthew Savoie C
Devon Levi G
Isak Rosen LW

*Edit - cough* I may have missed a guy like...
Dylan Cousins

:sabres

Leon Draisaitl extension pre negotiated

Buffalo's line up remains largely intact with a few lesser pieces gone on expiring contracts and an elite #1C in his prime entering the building. This could lead to Buffalo's first Stanley Cup.

The Oilers rebuild their prospect pool and look towards an era post Draisaitl and possibly post McDavid when the time comes.
What's with you always creating threads to run Drai out of town?

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad