Proposal: EDM - BUF

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
What if Draisaitl won't sign for the number Edmonton offers and Buffalo decides next year is THEIR year and go all in?

:edmonton

Jiri Kulich C
Matthew Savoie C
Devon Levi G
Isak Rosen LW

*Edit - cough* I may have missed a guy like...
Dylan Cousins

:sabres

Leon Draisaitl extension pre negotiated

Buffalo's line up remains largely intact with a few lesser pieces gone on expiring contracts and an elite #1C in his prime entering the building. This could lead to Buffalo's first Stanley Cup.

The Oilers rebuild their prospect pool and look towards an era post Draisaitl and possibly post McDavid when the time comes.

Last edited:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
This seems improbable, but recouping Draisaitl's value in roster players if he won't resign will be difficult.

Reactions: TFHockey

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Salary cap wise itd have to be cozens and not savoie/kulich. Buffalo wouldn't have the viable room to extend drai.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Draisaitl or no Draisaitl it would also be Oilers years to go all in .

They will want top quality pieces back to plug the holes identified for Draisaitl and not picks/prospects

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
What if Draisaitl won't sign for the number Edmonton offers and Buffalo decides next year is THEIR year and go all in?

:edmonton

Jiri Kulich C/Matthew Savoie C
Devon Levi G
Isak Rosen LW

:sabres

Leon Draisaitl extension pre negotiated

Buffalo's line up remains largely intact with a few lesser pieces gone on expiring contracts and an elite #1C in his prime entering the building. This could lead to Buffalo's first Stanley Cup.

The Oilers rebuild their prospect pool and look towards an era post Draisaitl and possibly post McDavid when the time comes.
Danm a lot a teams would beat that offer.

This being said the Sabres does have the players to get Drai no questions.

Reactions: Ragdoll and capazzo

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If it's with extension the return would probably be better than that:
Cozens
Kulich
Rosén

Would be slightly better value than what Buffalo got for Eichel.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Draisaitl is not available.

The premise here makes zero sense. Soo Buffalo decides to go all in but Edmonton much closer to contending for some reason isn’t going all in and is going to move Draisaitl for basically a great collection of magic beans vs win now pieces….

Sorry this just needs to be locked

Reactions: Ragdoll and capazzo

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
If the Oilers would trade Drai for, say, Cozens+prospects/picks, sure, but they wouldn't. They'd want roster players to stay in win-now mode.

Giving up more roster players would create additional holes in the Sabres lineup. Having Drai wouldn't make up for that.

Just a non-starter afaic.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Surprised the OP is an Oilers fan.

I think to make it more realistic, the offer would require replacing Rosen with Tage Thompson.

I somewhat doubt that would be enough to get the oilers interested, but at least that would make a little more sense for Edmonton.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Buffalo is fixing to finish 27th this season, but they're going to decide next season is their year to go all in? Wishful thinking.

If Draisaitl decides to turn down a contract offer and signals his intention to move on, the Oilers are going to take their two remaining shots and then he's going to walk for nothing. They can't afford to give up a playoff run with both superstars. Nothing they get in exchange will get them as close to a Cup win. They won't suddenly engage in asset management with a team this close. If he walks, they're a top contender that suddenly has lots of cap space to address needs.

No one wants to be in Edmonton when the team is bad, but they have shown they can attract players when they are good.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I didn't say anything toward you. Just that there is likely to be a Sabre fan who thinks it is somehow too much to give up despite Drai being one of the top centers in the entire league.

Oh I was being a little sarcastic there. I think I might've missed on this one badly.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Buffalo is fixing to finish 27th this season, but they're going to decide next season is their year to go all in? Wishful thinking.

If Draisaitl decides to turn down a contract offer and signals his intention to move on, the Oilers are going to take their two remaining shots and then he's going to walk for nothing. They can't afford to give up a playoff run with both superstars. Nothing they get in exchange will get them as close to a Cup win. They won't suddenly engage in asset management with a team this close. If he walks, they're a top contender that suddenly has lots of cap space to address needs.

No one wants to be in Edmonton when the team is bad, but they have shown they can attract players when they are good.

I may have missed on the trade proposal, but you don't actually think the Oilers would let Draisaitl walk for nothing.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad