Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] Linus Omark For Conditional 6th '14

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Anyone remember what the condition was for us to get the 6th round pick?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
From an Oiler standpoint any criticism of Linus Omark is fairly warranted. He was a complete bust and a waste of a spot, pick, development etc.. Guy scored 8 NHL goals in his 3 season NHL career. JFJ scored at a more prolific pace/min without being on the PP.

Omark was a 4th round pick. 4th rounders rarely turn out to be productive NHL players. The fact he was able to play any NHL games is success in its own right

The only players drafted after him that have been some-what NHL players are Dwight King (47 points in 139 games) Justin Falk (17 points 128 games), Matt Frattin, Keith Aulie and Matt Halischuk (61 points in 181 games)

Omark was a super skilled player who was able to have a successful NHL rookie season (27 points in 51 games), as well as tear up the KHL, AHL and Swiss league

If there was an Omark clone available in the 4th/5th round again this season, I would pick him without hesistation.

Omark tried his hand at getting to the NHL, and didn't want to play in the AHL, making less money in a forgein country as a relative nobody.

Good for him going to the SEL, he will be the big fish in a small pond in his home country

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
27 points in 51 games as a rookie. Same season that MPS actually looked good out there. All downhill from there.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Omark was a super skilled player who was able to have a successful NHL rookie season (27 points in 51 games), as well as tear up the KHL, AHL and Swiss league

Successful Year? He scored 5 goals that season, was a peripheral player the whole year, and for most of the year struggled to get any production.

Linus had 4pts in first 4games that year including a 3pt game and nearly everybody thought it was off to the races. He proceeded to garner only 16pts over the next 40games before finishing strong with 7pts in last 8games in entirely meaningless games.

Not to mention a dismal GA record that year.

This was a one trick pony without many tricks.

You know as fans of the Oilers that were used to absolute dreck when so many welcome the *contribution* of a player like Linus Omark.

Vodalian

Apr 8, 2009
I wanted Omark to make it, but it's clear that he isn't good enough. He is 27, a small and not very fast player. If his skill isn't enough to carry him by now it's useless to spend more time in the AHL to work on his game. Time to go home Linus, at least you gave it a fair try. It's funny that people care so much about Omark, but not so strange after all if you watched him in a league where he can use all his abilities.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Successful Year? He scored 5 goals that season, was a peripheral player the whole year, and for most of the year struggled to get any production.

Linus had 4pts in first 4games that year including a 3pt game and nearly everybody thought it was off to the races. He proceeded to garner only 16pts over the next 40games before finishing strong with 7pts in last 8games in entirely meaningless games.

You know as fans of the Oilers that were used to absolute dreck when so many welcome the *contribution* of a player like Linus Omark.

Its still production. From the 2007 draft, Omarks short, but semi productive NHL season ranks him ahead of almost all 4th rounders, half of the 2nd and 3rd rounders and a couple of 1st rounders.

He was nothing special, and Im not trying to pump his tires. But Omark was a successful 4th round pick.

His contributions, even in subjective meaningless games, are still contributions at the NHL level. He was a .5 ppg rookie, similar to Barstchi, Monahan, Vorcek, Turris, JVR etc etc all put up in their rookie seasons

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Its still production. From the 2007 draft, Omarks short, but semi productive NHL season ranks him ahead of almost all 4th rounders, half of the 2nd and 3rd rounders and a couple of 1st rounders.

He was nothing special, and Im not trying to pump his tires. But Omark was a successful 4th round pick.

His contributions, even in subjective meaningless games, are still contributions at the NHL level. He was a .5 ppg rookie, similar to Barstchi, Monahan, Vorcek, Turris, JVR etc etc all put up in their rookie seasons

Sigh. Monahan has scored TWICE as many goals in his rookie year(not yet completed) as an 18yr old than a much older Omark scored in the NHL in his entire career. lol

Its a joke you would even make the comparison to the above listed players.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

It's funny - I'm not an Omark fan, but your posts seem biased against the guy.

Until one steps back and looks at Omark.

He simply did not drive the offence in any of his NHL experience. He had better defenseman support and was relied on heavily in his rookie season, and still couldn't directly contribute to scoring often enough. 8 goals in his 79 games, and I'd say 4 were when the opponent was giving it some gas. He didn't contribute in any other way. A 4th rounder that almost made it. Might have made it on a stacked team. Didn't make it on his own merit. He's a pt/g AHLer. That's good. But it didn't translate to NHL success. NHL equivalency gurus can point at the stats but he didn't help the team.

<day turns to night>

Omark is a poor (poor) man's Sam Gagner.

Man, I hate to say it. Sam had a great-for-Sam year, last year. Finally turned the corner. But that busted jaw was the proverbial "go back three spaces" spot on the gameboard. He's not charging the net, he's not creating offense like he did last year. He reminds me of Omark's rookie year.

So I understand Sam's detractors, and I understand Linus's supporters. The perceived proof of production, the Homer Simpsonesque fall down Springfield Gorge, and the hope for revival.

Good luck to Linus in Sweden, and then Switzerland/Italy/Norway. It was worth a shot.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Sigh. Monahan has scored TWICE as many goals in his rookie year(not yet completed) as an 18yr old than a much older Omark scored in the NHL in his entire career. lol

Its a joke you would even make the comparison to the above listed players.

To show that his rookie season was pretty good. And to even get a season like that from a 4th round pick is a successful pick. Yes Omark was older, but its still their first NHL season, and Monahan was a 6th OA pick.

Im not exactly sure why we have to drag this guy through the mud. He had marginal NHL success, was determined to try and make the show, and was never a locker room issue besides some wild assumptions by Omark haters. Not sure what else youd want from a 4th round pick

He has run his course in the NHL, did the best he could, and contributed positively to the Oilers for a season and to their farm team for 2. He is not a "bust" or someone we should point to and say "the Oilers cant develop players, Omark is a failure"

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
To show that his rookie season was pretty good. And to even get a season like that from a 4th round pick is a successful pick. Yes Omark was older, but its still their first NHL season, and Monahan was a 6th OA pick.

Im not exactly sure why we have to drag this guy through the mud. He had marginal NHL success, was determined to try and make the show, and was never a locker room issue besides some wild assumptions by Omark haters. Not sure what else youd want from a 4th round pick

He has run his course in the NHL, did the best he could, and contributed positively to the Oilers for a season and to their farm team for 2. He is not a "bust" or someone we should point to and say "the Oilers cant develop players, Omark is a failure"

he certainly didn't contribute positively on the second line. he sunk the line from a GA perspective. Omark was a horrible hockey player here and while an insignificant piece sure contributed to the team being even worse that year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
he certainly didn't contribute positively on the second line. he sunk the line from a GA perspective. Omark was a horrible hockey player here and while an insignificant piece sure contributed to the team being even worse that year.

Not sure if I agree with you on that one.

From a simple points perspective, his .5 ppg certainly helped us. Even if he did collect some points in meaningless games, he still did it against legit NHL teams fighting for playoff spots. The meaningless games argument can also be made against Hall,Yakupov, Huberdeau, Tavares, Stamkos,Duchene etc etc who all collected points in meaningless games to the end of the season and some point in their initial 3 seasons

From an advanced stats POV, his CorsiOn was the highest amongst all regular forwards, and #2 for all regular players.

His RelCorsi (Corsi in relation to the rest of his team) was 8.2. Meaning he played better than a majority of the other forwards (in terms of shot differentials). For perspective, Hall had a 10.5 and Eberle 8.5. Both have slightly lower CorsiOn numbers as well

Even though the team was horrible, Omark was slightly less horrible

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not sure if I agree with you on that one.

From a simple points perspective, his .5 ppg certainly helped us. Even if he did collect some points in meaningless games, he still did it against legit NHL teams fighting for playoff spots. The meaningless games argument can also be made against Hall,Yakupov, Huberdeau, Tavares, Stamkos,Duchene etc etc who all collected points in meaningless games to the end of the season and some point in their initial 3 seasons

From an advanced stats POV, his CorsiOn was the highest amongst all regular forwards, and #2 for all regular players.

His RelCorsi (Corsi in relation to the rest of his team) was 8.2. Meaning he played better than a majority of the other forwards (in terms of shot differentials). For perspective, Hall had a 10.5 and Eberle 8.5. Both have slightly lower CorsiOn numbers as well

Even though the team was horrible, Omark was slightly less horrible

Outscoring helps. Not bleeding GA. Its quite simple.

But anyway,

The Omark Corsi has been regularly cited. With that being one of the funnier moments in the ongong Corsi debate.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Outscoring helps. Not bleeding GA. Its quite simple.

But anyway,

The Omark Corsi has been regularly cited. With that being one of the funnier moments in the ongong Corsi debate.

Goals against are also hugely influenced by how your team is doing. Omark was on a last place team with swiss cheese defense. He ofcourse added to the bad GA with poor defensive play, but it was not all on him

MrOiler

Jul 28, 2006
Calgary
The NHL is hard on "YouTube and Shoot Out Sensations":

I.) Schremp - gone
II.) Omark - gone
III.) Gagner - soon to be gone

I think this is a lesson to future Oilers and fans alike: highlight goals don't make a career.

So who will be the next phenom that Oiler fans fall in love with?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
The NHL is hard on "YouTube and Shoot Out Sensations":

I.) Schremp - gone
II.) Omark - gone
III.) Gagner - soon to be gone

I think this is a lesson to future Oilers and fans alike: highlight goals don't make a career.

So who will be the next phenom that Oiler fans fall in love with?

Don't forget Paajarvi and his ugly preseason hatty.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I am blown away there still seem to be a few people who just don't want to fully accept reality.

Omark ppg in his rookie year was not indicative of his effectiveness in the NHL.

Outside of the shootout his play was junk his rookie year, and every year thereafter he only got worse. I thought he looked terrible pretty much each and every shift he played for us. Puck hog, generated very few scoring chances, and ultimately would turn over the puck no matter which end of the ice he was playing in. Slick stick work and strong on his skates but still so ineffective overall. A terrible player on a terrible team.

He is going back to a bush league to have some success. No offense to those from Sweden but the SEL just is not a very competitive league compared to the NHL.

Omark is officially a bust.

BUST BUST BUST BUST.

He did waste valuable development time for someone else IMO, although really I am not sure if we had anyone who have benefitted from that time.

Since I am ranting a bit and don't know where else to put this I may as well add:

Anyone else find Olympic hockey mind bogglingly boring? I've never particularly cared about big ice versus small ice, I just like hockey. But this year the boring "trap" ultra defensive systems possible on the big ice is making me sick.

Worst hockey I've seen since the clutch and grab era.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Anyone else find Olympic hockey mind bogglingly boring? I've never particularly cared about big ice versus small ice, I just like hockey. But this year the boring "trap" ultra defensive systems possible on the big ice is making me sick.

Worst hockey I've seen since the clutch and grab era.

NHL should have 4 on 4 hockey for 60 minutes. Best compromise... small ice surface yet more room out there for dangling and speed and great hockey plays.

That would make for some really fun hockey to watch imo.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/omark-signs-with-swedish-league-team-20140220

Lulea, as expected.

“I was clear all the time that I didn’t want to play in the AHL, that it wouldn’t be good for both me and Rochester. The team wouldn’t have got anything from me. They understand that as well, so they let me go to Europe instead.”

“My goal for this season was to be able to play in the NHL, so when I finally got the chance to play in Buffalo I was very happy. Then you can say that I didn’t take the chance.”

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
We woulda won the cup last season if we still had him on the team. Captain Omark hoists the cup first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad