Confirmed with Link: [EDM/BUF] Linus Omark For Conditional 6th '14

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Omark was a weird phenomena. It was way worse on the oilers message board though. There were some posters who literally only posted about Omark. Crazy what a few creative shootout moves can do.

chicago oiler

Jul 17, 2010
I gotta say that it's pretty hilarious to see us still adjudicating the Omark dispute this many years later.

But I can't judge. I just brought Omark up in polite conversation a few weeks ago.

To be an Oilers fan is to have a lot of weird memories bouncing around in the back of your head.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
sh***y , overrated player by a lot of Oiler fans!

How many is a lot?
10%
25%?

He had a lot of hype behind him before he came into the NHL, but the vast majority of fans were not expecting a ton of out of him in the future 1/2 into his first NHL season.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
T
How many is a lot?
10%
25%?

He had a lot of hype behind him before he came into the NHL, but the vast majority of fans were not expecting a ton of out of him in the future 1/2 into his first NHL season.

How the hell do I know what percentage? 37? 54? All I know is that there seemed to be a lot of whining on a lot of Oiler boards about not giving Omark a fair shake here.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
T

How the hell do I know what percentage? 37? 54? All I know is that there seemed to be a lot of whining on a lot of Oiler boards about not giving Omark a fair shake here.

If we're being honest, there was an extremely vocal minority who looked at Omark as some kind of legend being held back by an oppressor, instead of a limited non-NHL forward, which is what he ended being by the end. A poor man's Robert Nilsson.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Hey, he's currently tied for 6th in scoring in the KHL with 15 points in 10 games. :naughty:

Which should tell you a lot about the level of play in the "2nd best league in the world".

It's a weird league when you have guys like Datsyuk and Kovalchuk sharing space on the top scorers board along with Linden Vey and Nigel Dawes.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
If we're being honest, there was an extremely vocal minority who looked at Omark as some kind of legend being held back by an oppressor, instead of a limited non-NHL forward, which is what he ended being by the end. A poor man's Robert Nilsson.

Nilsson is a good comparable. And it's kinda like the howling some on these boards and others thought about Yakupov isn't it? "If we just gave him a chance beside McDavid he'd score a pile of points !!"

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Nilsson is a good comparable. And it's kinda like the howling some on these boards and others thought about Yakupov isn't it? "If we just gave him a chance beside McDavid he'd score a pile of points !!"

Fair point, though I will say, if Yak didn't have to suffer under Eakins, he would probably be a better NHLer right now, but that's obvious for a lot of players.

Edit: However, Omark just wasn't a good enough NHL player to stick long term.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
Omark was a weird phenomena. It was way worse on the oilers message board though. There were some posters who literally only posted about Omark. Crazy what a few creative shootout moves can do.

His SEL highlight package was pretty insane though. He did put up good numbers before coming over, but the guy didn't have the greatest attitude, work ethic or skating really.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
What player did we draft with the 6th round pick, anyway? Or did we not end up getting the pick? Or does any of it even matter? Yeah, probably the latter.

undertow

Sep 26, 2007

most of them were fans from his home country

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
What player did we draft with the 6th round pick, anyway? Or did we not end up getting the pick? Or does any of it even matter? Yeah, probably the latter.

Omark needed to play 15 games to trigger Edmonton receiving the 6th Round Pick.

Omark failed to reach the 15 game trigger. As such, the Oilers received nothing from the Sabres for Omark.

Buffalo terminated his contract three months after the trade.

Edit: Pro Sports Transactions is a great resource if you're ever wondering what that draft pick turned into or to trace the lineage of a player through an organization.

Omark's page: link

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Omark needed to play 15 games to trigger Edmonton receiving the 6th Round Pick.

Omark failed to reach the 15 game trigger. As such, the Oilers received nothing from the Sabres for Omark.

Buffalo terminated his contract three months after the trade.

So it was a lose, lose, lose trade. We lost, the Sabres lost, and Omark lost (or blew his opportunity -- which ever way you want to look at it). Hooray!

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
To be fair, both teams were very adept at losing during that period of time.

Yep, very true. Both teams had management that were trying their best to build a winning team, but were laughably inept (except Lowe, who of course 'knows a thing or two about winning, should that ever be a concern'...except that it WAS a concern for 10 years, Mr. Lowe! Where was the winning??? :laugh: But I digress.) Then it all culminated with Tim Murray purposefully tanking in a desperate and hopeful attempt to get McDavid, and then being completely distraught and devastated when he didn't (which was hilarious, let's admit it), and the Oilers were just doing their usual thing and finishing at the bottom, and somehow winning the lottery...again, only this time in a draft with some obvious game-breaking talent available at the top! Yay! (Maybe the Hall draft counts as well, but not the Nuge and Yakupov drafts, which were AWFUL compared to the drafts that came before for the last 10 years or more). Anyway, now we're both living happily ever after. And I'm so glad Murray is gone. I hated his fat face so much.

But back on topic, I still wish we would've kept Omark and played him on which ever wing and just see what happened. Not like we were having much success anyway, so it would've been interesting to see what he could've done in the NHL over 3-4 full seasons. But I also can't complain about where we are now, and any change in the past would probably change what we have now, and I'm darn happy with our team.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Yep, very true. Both teams had management that were trying their best to build a winning team, but were laughably inept (except Lowe, who of course 'knows a thing or two about winning, should that ever be a concern'...except that it WAS a concern for 10 years, Mr. Lowe! Where was the winning??? :laugh: But I digress.) Then it all culminated with Tim Murray purposefully tanking in a desperate and hopeful attempt to get McDavid, and then being completely distraught and devastated when he didn't (which was hilarious, let's admit it), and the Oilers were just doing their usual thing and finishing at the bottom, and somehow winning the lottery...again, only this time in a draft with some obvious game-breaking talent available at the top! Yay! (Maybe the Hall draft counts as well, but not the Nuge and Yakupov drafts, which were AWFUL compared to the drafts that came before for the last 10 years or more). Anyway, now we're both living happily ever after. And I'm so glad Murray is gone. I hated his fat face so much.

But back on topic, I still wish we would've kept Omark and played him on which ever wing and just see what happened. Not like we were having much success anyway, so it would've been interesting to see what he could've done in the NHL over 3-4 full seasons. But I also can't complain about where we are now, and any change in the past would probably change what we have now, and I'm darn happy with our team.

Me too. It's been a long, hard road watching all those bad years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad