Proposal: EDM - ARI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I like Vejmelka too, but I'm not a fan of the idea of trading Bouchard. Our right side is already abysmal and it's not getting any better by trading the best one. This trade only clears up 1.2 mil of space which isn't a lot and certainly isn't a lot to trade for a better RD.

Trade picks and prospects. As many as you want. Bouchard should go nowhere. The only problem with Bouchard is that we don't have a better RD to play ahead of him.

I tried to make that clear; that this is a set up trade for a bigger one that lands a better RHD. I would like to stress again in this thread that the Oilers goaltending isn't the entire issue with this squad. There are some players definitely snake bit right now and that will even out as the season goes.

But even WHEN players like RNH, Draisaitl, McDavid and others getting back to regular numbers the goaltending remains sub par. It will always hold the team back.

Landing Vejmelka helps with that. And THEN a subsequent trade, with higher picks and prospects, and a little more cap space to make it possible, can happen.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I tried to make that clear; that this is a set up trade for a bigger one that lands a better RHD. I would like to stress again in this thread that the Oilers goaltending isn't the entire issue with this squad. There are some players definitely snake bit right now and that will even out as the season goes.

But even WHEN players like RNH, Draisaitl, McDavid and others getting back to regular numbers the goaltending remains sub par. It will always hold the team back.

Landing Vejmelka helps with that. And THEN a subsequent trade, with higher picks and prospects, and a little more cap space to make it possible, can happen.
I think it's easier to land a goalie than it is to land a RD. And landing a goalie shouldn't cost you a top 4 RD that's only 24 and is 6th in the NHL among defencemen for points.

He has defensive warts, to be sure, but you're giving up an absolutely ridiculous amount to replace him/improve on him. It's not feasible in my eyes.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
LOL so called NHL trade rumour site claims a deal is in the works to send Campbell to Arizona.

Campbell + 2024 1st + Broberg + Bourgualt for Matt Dumba.

As bad as the contract is, I would probably take it on for an unprotect Oilers 1st.

No idea how Dumba is the answer to the Oilers ills though.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I would give up as much as needed for a Saros. Probably some combination of Bouchard, picks and prospects for Saros and Barrie (50% retention).

Then whatever I have left to deal Campbell to a team that can buy him out to fit it all in.
The Oilers would be putting themselves so far behind making that kind of deal though when you consider the kind of draft capital those deals would require.

The Oilers had Barrie playing fewer minutes by the time he was dealt for Ekholm. A key issue with the current roster is how much responsibility Bouchard is being forced to take on. Barrie certainly isn't the guy to take on those responsibilities.

You grab a guy like Saros at top dollar, there's no guarantees he doesn't wilt just like every other goalie that comes through Edmonton's system.

The Oilers need to be 'all in' on the best Dman the Oilers can get with a reasonable amount of term left on his deal. They need to make another Ekholm trade.

Reactions: TFHockey

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
LOL so called NHL trade rumour site claims a deal is in the works to send Campbell to Arizona.

As bad as the contract is, I would probably take it on for an unprotect Oilers 1st.

Any move involving Campbell probably isn't bringing back some sort of answer. It's more about opening up that space long-term

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

That's worse than any proposal I've seen on here involving the Oilers... and that is saying something.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
This is the best Coyotes team in a long while, currently 8-8-2. This sees them trade their starter with no one to take his place. No one is waiting in the wings. Edmonton fans already know how hard it is to shake loose goalies right now.

This would have made more sense when Arizona stunk. If the premise here is... well, Arizona is always terrible so we don't have to care about that oversight, then I suspect the response would be a firm no and good day to you.

Everyone is also getting a long look at how poorly Bouchard is playing lately, too. People are watching a lot of Oilers games this year. People can't turn away from the car wreck. They're seeing him struggle mightily.

Reactions: Nowotny

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’m a Yotes fan. I’d do it.

This is the best Coyotes team in a long while, currently 8-8-2. This sees them trade their starter with no one to take his place. No one is waiting in the wings. Edmonton fans already know how hard it is to shake loose goalies right now.

This would have made more sense when Arizona stunk. If the premise here is... well, Arizona is always terrible so we don't have to care about that oversight, then I suspect the response would be a firm no and good day to you.

Everyone is also getting a long look at how poorly Bouchard is playing lately, too. People are watching a lot of Oilers games this year. People can't turn away from the car wreck. They're seeing him struggle mightily.
We have Ingram.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
If we can get Prosvetov back from Colorado or some other middling backup goalie, as Yotes fan, I'd certainly do it.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think we can close this one also, Oilers already have one long thread on goalie trade so we don't need multi threads on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad