Confirmed with Link: [EDM/ARI] Oilers Trade Boyd Gordon for Lauri Korpikoski

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
lolol

Can't believe what I'm reading. You know what year it is right?

Korpi hasn't revealed a stich of talent in years. 3rd line? OMFG, where, AHL?

This player doesn't even belong in the NHL at this point.

AS several have stated trading Gordon for nothing would have been a better deal than trading him for Korpse.

One thing I will say, is that Korpse has been playing for an absolute wasteland of an organization for the past 6 years. Not that we've been any good here in Edmonton, but at least we aren't bankrupt, under the threat of being relocated and have no money to spend. The Coyotes spend to the cap floor every season and have been ****ty for several years now. I'm sure that can suck the life out a player.

What I'm saying, is that a change of scenery could potentially do wonders for Korpikoski, and I'm sure Chiarelli is thinking that he could become close to the player he was in 2011 and 2012 with the excitement of coming into a new situation.

Boyd did his job very well for the Oilers, but at the end of the day, we can't be crying about losing 4th line players.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
High ankle sprain for the last 3 seasons? Korpse has averaged 4EV goals per season in that stretch. Next to nothing in other words.

Oh well, one benefit is he makes Purcell look like an allstar. Theres that I guess.

And he's a better player than Hendricks and Klinkhammer so we won't have to play either of those slugs in the 3rd ling left wing role.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
As an Oiler and Coyotes fan I would love to see more collaboration between these two teams. Can only pay dividends down the road!

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Considering all the **** people gave about the Pouliot deal before he got here, I'm going to "wait and see" before I crap on the guy.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Considering all the **** people gave about the Pouliot deal before he got here, I'm going to "wait and see" before I crap on the guy.

When Pouliot came a ton of people here liked him, Rangers fans really liked him too, the only issue was how much we paid him. The cause of the descent was purely because of the contract he was attached to, if he was signed to $2 mill or less at the time I doubt anyone would have had a bad word to say about it. In Purcell's case though the analytics people stepped in to defend him because of the crooked numbers he put up with great consistency. There is no one defending Korpikoski, not former fans, not advanced stats people, and no one who actually watched this player play regularly over the past few years.

Best case scenario is the injuries he incurred were the sole thing holding him back and he'll be healthy and will start playing like he did 4-5 years ago. If not this is probably a player we are going to be *****ing about for the next 2 years.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
As an Oiler and Coyotes fan I would love to see more collaboration between these two teams. Can only pay dividends down the road!

Gordon has a home in Phoenix...knows he isn't going to be retained by the Oilers. Chia asks where he wants to go since he is leaving. Gordon asks to be sent home. Chia phones Maloney and says " send me want you want for Gordon since he has been a stand up guy for the team.". Korpo comes back.

Replacement - reply please. My discussion is as credible as your complaining about the disrespect shown to Gordon.

oilborn

Jun 25, 2009
I cant believe this thread is still going. Give it up. What's done is done, the team is better today then it was 24 hours ago, no matter what way you look at it

Are you kidding? This could go on for 200 pages more. Did you ever see the Kyle Brodziak thread when he got shipped out? We almost had a mass suicide that day.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Maybe Korpikoski was too distracted by his girlfriend's fitnessblogging in Arizona. She won't be wearing skimpy outfits in Edmonton. :laugh:

http://www.bulimedia.com/blogit/janni-hussi.html
Janni is little celeb in Finland. Lots of medias wrote that "Janni is in shock about the trade" :laugh: and all she said she was shocked at first when Lauri called, started even crying a little bit as she had made friends in Arizona and was settled there...but said as a Finn she can handle the Edmonton winters and was happy that will meet Klinkhammers again, especially her friend Jessica Klinkhammer.

Her insta
https://instagram.com/jannihussi/?hl=fi

And about Lauri, I think he can bounce back...looked like he needed a change for his career.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me

I'm with you. I know very little about Korp. I'm going to give him a season with Oilers before judging him.

Other team's fans said Pouliot sucked bad, and he turned out fine playing on Oilers.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I can think of worse running mates for Anton Lander. The wagon line is still going to be there, but it looks like it's getting less responsibility.

Moving forward
Korpisoski-Lander-Pakarinen
Hendricks-Letestu-Klinkhammer/Pitlick

Looks like a good, cost effective bottom 6. Something this team is going to need moving forward.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
Boyd was a steady vetty... but, I certainly didn't consider him to have the most dynamic of character.

He wasn't going to start any fires or rally any comebacks, just put on a stern face and block shots.

Which is great, but... I'd like a bit of fire.

Korpi looks that way, more so.

Same with Letestu.

... And Sekera.

And Reinhart, for that matter.

DarkSaturn

Sep 10, 2008
I'm still somewhat indifferent to this trade, but I do like the idea of having some stability and solid 2 way players in the bottom 6. That was a big part of those late 90's teams with Grier, Marchant, Murray and Moreau in various MGM configurations. Should work a lot better when one of the top six players isn't poached every off-season.

None of those teams had 'true' top pairing defenceman either. At the time guys like Niinimaa, Hamrlik, Mironov would have most likely been 2nd pairing guys on the loaded playoff contenders of the time.

Last edited:

SchultzSquared*

I'm not sure how anyone can be upset by this move. For the first time in forever this club now has six NHLers to fill out the bottom six. You can debate the quality of those players, sure, but at the end of the day I'm not going to cry or scream if Korpikoski is held to less than 30 points. He can play fifteen reliable minutes a night in a variety of roles while delivering intermittent offence, and that's all I really expect of a 3rd line forward.

Korpikoski-Lander-Purcell
Hendricks-Letestu-Klinkhammer

Seriously, how can you look at that group and be disappointed? It beats icing Ryan Potulny- hell, even Ryan Jones.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I'm not sure how anyone can be upset by this move. For the first time in forever this club now has six NHLers to fill out the bottom six. You can debate the quality of those players, sure, but at the end of the day I'm not going to cry or scream if Korpikoski is held to less than 30 points. He can play fifteen reliable minutes a night in a variety of roles while delivering intermittent offence, and that's all I really expect of a 3rd line forward.

Korpikoski-Lander-Purcell
Hendricks-Letestu-Klinkhammer

Seriously, how can you look at that group and be disappointed? It beats icing Ryan Potulny- hell, even Ryan Jones.

Pre eye injury Ryan Jones instead of Purcell would be amazing. Just because Jones threw a few hits and was better defensively.

SchultzSquared*

Pre eye injury Ryan Jones instead of Purcell would be amazing. Just because Jones threw a few hits and was better defensively.

No question on the defensive end of things, but we're talking a forward whose worst year as a full-time NHLer was still equal to or better than Ryan Jones' halcyon days. I liked what Jones brought and feel he was robbed of a couple more nice years, sure, but depth is the key attribute this club has been missing since the perpetual rebuild began. It's what allowed Chia to win that Cup. How many times in the last decade have we been able to say that a two-time 50+ point scorer is relegated to third line minutes here sheerly because of our depth?

Nice problem to have. Would like more of it on the backline.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton

Were people really that up in arms over Pouliot? I'll have to dig that thread up. I liked the signing at the time.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Were people really that up in arms over Pouliot? I'll have to dig that thread up. I liked the signing at the time.

Yeah, a lot of people, including me, were quite upset with the term and price. He hadn't shown enough in his past to earn that contract, and the "Oilers tax," was still in its first year or so of being accepted.

I'll be the first to say that his first season was great, excluding his injuries which he's been known to have, and for even just that one season, he proved me wrong.

Hopefully he continues his great play down the line here.

Less O-zone penalties would be nice. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad