Proposal: EDM and PIT

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Bryan Rust and Marcus Pettersson for Darnell Nurse.

McDavid gets a speedy defensive minded RW with playoff pedigree that has shown to produce with elite talent. They also get a solid if slightly overpaid LD to replace Nurse.

Pitt gets a LD solution with grit that fills the JJ role that management needs.

If Petts doesn’t work cap wise I’d say switch him out for POJ.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
No.

Edit: it’s not a bad offer... I think Nurse is better than most give him credit for. A big, physical, really good skating Dman is hard to come by. ... and yes, I know we didn’t see much of that in the past 4 games when it counted most.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't do it with Pettersson, but I might do it with POJ. But the issue there is are you going to be able to afford Marino's extension if you're also paying Nurse that much? And what about after Nurse needs a new deal, too?

The issue here is that Nurse is a UFA in 2 years and makes $2.1 million more than Rust. If you swap MP and Rust for Nurse, that helps address that, but then you have to worry about a massive hole at RW you just made. There's no one on Edmonton that I'd want to fill that RW spot if we expanded on that trade.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Why not? Pettersson the issue? If so swap him out for a Pit prospect like POJ.

Rust was just a PPG when used as a top six winger and has regularly produced as such. He also can match McDavid’s speed.
Sorry, hit post to quickly... I edited my original post.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I wouldn't do it with Pettersson, but I might do it with POJ. But the issue there is are you going to be able to afford Marino's extension if you're also paying Nurse that much? And what about after Nurse needs a new deal, too?

The issue here is that Nurse is a UFA in 2 years and makes $2.1 million more than Rust. If you swap MP and Rust for Nurse, that helps address that, but then you have to worry about a massive hole at RW you just made. There's no one on Edmonton that I'd want to fill that RW spot if we expanded on that trade.

I think you have enough in Jake, Hornqvist and Zucker to legitimize the top six with either a cheap vet deal or someone like Simon.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Why not? Pettersson the issue? If so swap him out for a Pit prospect like POJ.

Rust was just a PPG when used as a top six winger and has regularly produced as such. He also can match McDavid’s speed.
Nurse is very tight with McDavid too and by all indications he wants to stay in Edmonton... and, unfortunately, that’s a rarity.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Nurse is very tight with McDavid too and by all indications he wants to stay in Edmonton... and, unfortunately, that’s a rarity.

Yeah I get that and Rust’s contract is coming up.

That being said if Rust stays healthy easily see him being a 30 goal scorer and 60 pt winger with McDavid and providing the defensive play that seems to be sorely missing from that line.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Yeah I get that and Rust’s contract is coming up.

That being said if Rust stays healthy easily see him being a 30 goal scorer and 60 pt winger with McDavid and providing the defensive play that seems to be sorely missing from that line.
I would love to have a guy like Rust on the Oil... exactly what we need.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I keep seeing people say Nurse is overpaid. Do we still expect D that play 23mins/game to make less than $5M around here? What rock have you been living under?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
I actually think this is not too bad of an offer for Nurse. However, I think Edmonton could fetch more for him; not because he's worth much more, but because "Hockey Men" GMs will be willing to pay a premium for his tools.

Personally, I'd look to get a young top 6 winger if I were the Oilers. Rust would fit really nicely with McDavid, although how do you justify paying Kassian 4x3.2 on the same team?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I actually think this is not too bad of an offer for Nurse. However, I think Edmonton could fetch more for him; not because he's worth much more, but because "Hockey Men" GMs will be willing to pay a premium for his tools.

Personally, I'd look to get a young top 6 winger if I were the Oilers. Rust would fit really nicely with McDavid, although how do you justify paying Kassian 4x3.2 on the same team?

Because Rust is actually a top nine forward and has scored at a 20g pace for four years now.

He’s really nothing like Kassian and having a bad contract like that shouldn’t prevent the Oils from getting what should be the ideal wing for McDavid and if he isn’t he’s still essentially the Oils best natural winger outside of Yamamoto.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
Because Rust is actually a top nine forward and has scored at a 20g pace for four years now.

He’s really nothing like Kassian and having a bad contract like that shouldn’t prevent the Oils from getting what should be the ideal wing for McDavid and if he isn’t he’s still essentially the Oils best natural winger outside of Yamamoto.
Pardon me, I was more or less going off on a tangent about Kassian and how adding Rust would make Kassian all the more redundant on the right side. It was not a suggestion that the Oilers shouldn't pursue Rust! As you said, that shouldn't stop you from adding him.

Like I said, I think the offer isn't bad at all. I just think the Oilers could get more for Nurse. I would still look to add Rust in another deal, though.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The offer is pretty good but I’d decline. I’d rather move Klefbom with a serious add and finally get a #1D that we’ve lacked since Pronger.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
The offer is pretty good but I’d decline. I’d rather move Klefbom with a serious add and finally get a #1D that we’ve lacked since Pronger.
What team is going to trade you a Pronger-type #1D? There's only a handful of those in the league anyway. Besides, the Oilers are in a tight cap situation and Klefbom's contract is one of the best in hockey.

Realistically, your best chance at getting a Pronger-type #1D is Bouchard and/or Broberg.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
What team is going to trade you a Pronger-type #1D? There's only a handful of those in the league anyway. Besides, the Oilers are in a tight cap situation and Klefbom's contract is one of the best in hockey.

Realistically, your best chance at getting a Pronger-type #1D is Bouchard and/or Broberg.

I never said Pronger type. I said we haven’t had a #1 since Pronger. That’s a vastly different thing

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
I never said Pronger type. I said we haven’t had a #1 since Pronger. That’s a vastly different thing
Apologies. However, you can replace my "Pronger-type" with just "#1D" and everything still applies. There are only a handful of true #1D in this league. Who is going to trade you theirs? Why would they? Even if they could, there's no guarantees the Oilers could make it work cap-wise. It's wishful thinking and one Oilers fans have thought for a decade now.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I keep seeing people say Nurse is overpaid. Do we still expect D that play 23mins/game to make less than $5M around here? What rock have you been living under?
Bridge deal burning only RFA years. Yes he should be making less than 5.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
It’s his next contract most Oilers fans are worried about.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Bryan Rust and Marcus Pettersson for Darnell Nurse.

McDavid gets a speedy defensive minded RW with playoff pedigree that has shown to produce with elite talent. They also get a solid if slightly overpaid LD to replace Nurse.

Pitt gets a LD solution with grit that fills the JJ role that management needs.

If Petts doesn’t work cap wise I’d say switch him out for POJ.

Why in the hell would Pittsburgh do that? That is a totally dumb idea.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad