Edler on forward

bure 96

Sep 6, 2013
Anyone think this would be a good idea? Similar to how Burns is being used by SJ. Edler has had a spotty defensive game this season, so why not improve the forward depth. Put him with the Sedins and all he needs to do is stand in front of the net looking for tap ins.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
The reason it works for Burns is because he's aggressive. Drives to the net, wants to shoot. Also he used to be a forward. Edler is the opposite of aggressive, he makes the Dalai Lama look like Chael Sonnen. (ok that might be an exaggeration :) )

He has the natural talent to be successful at any position, but is lacking upstairs.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
This is a novel idea. But who takes his place? Weber or Corrado?

Remember Burns had a past history as a forward, including when he was coached by Mclennan in the minors.

With this argument we'd be better off shifting Garrison to forward.

However right now I'd rather have Garrison back on D than Edler, as much as saying that pains me.

Anyways not disagreeing, just throwing some factors out there.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Burns was drafted as a forward and was switched later on to defense. I don't think Edler has ever had significant exposure to playing forward, and the odds are much less likely he's successful.

If Gillis will not or cannot acquire a top-6 forward, then we might not have much to lose by trying Edler or Bieksa at forward just for the heck of it.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Burns was drafted as a forward and was switched later on to defense. I don't think Edler has ever had significant exposure to playing forward, and the odds are much less likely he's successful.

If Gillis will not or cannot acquire a top-6 forward, then we might not have much to lose by trying Edler or Bieksa at forward just for the heck of it.

Bieksa is playing too well to be put at forward, and we've tried it before. He was ok, but not as good as he is right now on the backend.

We won't know how good Edler would be until we try...

However, it's probably best if he just gets his head out of his butt instead of making him a forward.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Why not, take away his defensive responsibilities by putting him at wing and we might see a less hesitant, more aggressive Edler. He has all the shots and could definitely lay a punishment on opposing Dmen forechecking. Better a slow forward than a slow Dman.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Anyone think this would be a good idea? Similar to how Burns is being used by SJ. Edler has had a spotty defensive game this season, so why not improve the forward depth. Put him with the Sedins and all he needs to do is stand in front of the net looking for tap ins.

It's so easy, even a caveman could do it! So why not try Sestito first?

Seriously though, great plan. We could also throw Lou into Edler's spot, and move Hank into the net. All he'd have to do is stand there and stop pucks.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I don't think this has been stressed enough for those that don't understand.

BURNS WAS DRAFTED AS A FORWARD

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
It's an experiment that I would be curious to see. But I can also imagine Edler to be more lost than ever.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I'd prefer trading Edler for a forward instead.

31017.jpg

141937084_slide.jpg

:rant:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
It would be a desperation move and I don't think it would work. He's more effective if his shots from the point are working. I don't see him as a quick reaction guy in close. If it came to that, I'd rather just trade him.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Brent Burns was drafted as a forward, converted to defenseman by Lemaire and then back to forward.

Completely different from Eddie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad