Former Bruins Eddie Shore Appreciation Thread

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Shamelessly stolen from Facebook:

On this day in 1926, the Boston Bruins purchased Eddie Shore from Edmonton of the Western Hockey League.

Between 1930-31 and 1938-39, Shore was on the First All Star team 7 times, and was awarded the Hart Trophy 4 times. Had the Norris Trophy been around, you can be sure he'd have won that a few times during that period.

To date, only Wayne Gretzky (9) and Gordie Howe (6) have won more Hart Trophies than Shore.

1692570494551.jpeg

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Shamelessly stolen from Facebook:

On this day in 1926, the Boston Bruins purchased Eddie Shore from Edmonton of the Western Hockey League.

Between 1930-31 and 1938-39, Shore was on the First All Star team 7 times, and was awarded the Hart Trophy 4 times. Had the Norris Trophy been around, you can be sure he'd have won that a few times during that period.

To date, only Wayne Gretzky (9) and Gordie Howe (6) have won more Hart Trophies than Shore.

View attachment 737554

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Were his advanced analytics good though?
I’m not sure. But if half the stuff I’ve heard and read about Shore are true, I don’t think advanced analytics would even begin to tell the story.

If there’s a comprehensive biography out there about Shore, I’d love to read it. He was THE ORIGINAL Big Bad Bruin.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I’m not sure. But if half the stuff I’ve heard and read about Shore are true, I don’t think advanced analytics would even begin to tell the story.

If there’s a comprehensive biography out there about Shore, I’d love to read it. He was THE ORIGINAL Big Bad Bruin.
I was being sarcastic anyway, didn't bother putting the emoji face or whatever it is since it was obvious.

Reactions: rfournier103

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Don Cherry told a story that back in the 70s Shore attended a game in Boston and after the game, one Bruins player teased Eddie that he couldn't play in the modern age.

Cherry tried to tell the player to knock it off but he continued and Shore knocked him out cold in the bar with one punch.

Shore was in his mid 70s

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Don Cherry told a story that back in the 70s Shore attended a game in Boston and after the game, one Bruins player teased Eddie that he couldn't play in the modern age.

Cherry tried to tell the player to knock it off but he continued and Shore knocked him out cold in the bar with one punch.

Shore was in his mid 70s
Never heard that one before, and I believe every word of it. Absolute gold.

Thank you for sharing that.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Were his advanced analytics good though?

Except he was small and wiry.

But, fierce and rough. Fast and innovative.

Before Doug Harvey, before Bobby Orr,
there was Eddie Shore.

The Ty Cobb of the NHL.

Don't ask me about the cape. I don't want to know,

Reactions: jsteelek

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Never heard that one before, and I believe every word of it. Absolute gold.

Thank you for sharing that.
It was a flashback scene in Wrath of Grapes: The Don Cherry Story II

Grapes could see Shore was seething and knew trouble was coming.

Shore was frugal - In West Springfield, his lease for the arena at the Big E required him to hire 2 Mass State Police Troopers for each game - he made them the goal judges.

Here is Shore interviewed in 1959

My Mom apparently dated Shore before meeting my Dad at a Bruins game later.

The only thing I can say with certainty is Shore kept the Bruins franchise from folding during the 1930s Depression.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Outta curiosity I wonder how many players back then were small & wirey/big & beefy.
Unless you were cyclone Taylor, Hobie Baker etc. You were fairly small back then.

It was a flashback scene in Wrath of Grapes: The Don Cherry Story II

Grapes could see Shore was seething and knew trouble was coming.

Shore was frugal - In West Springfield, his lease for the arena at the Big E required him to hire 2 Mass State Police Troopers for each game - he made them the goal judges.

Here is Shore interviewed in 1959

My Mom apparently dated Shore before meeting my Dad at a Bruins game later.

The only thing I can say with certainty is Shore kept the Bruins franchise from folding during he 1930s Depression.

I could make a milkman joke but I won't.
✌️😔

Reactions: rfournier103

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
"Eddie Shore and That Old-Time Hockey," by Michael Hiam is an incredible book. Hiam doesn't just cover Shore's life, but a lot about the NHL back in that era as well. No doubt Shore could be a jerk of a human being as a player/coach/owner, but something I learned from the book about his violence as a player was that he didn't skate around looking to make violent plays, rather he got violent mainly when someone had wronged him or a teammate. So much violence in the NHL back then. Shore just happened to be extremely good at retribution.

I think the Ace Bailey incident pretty well cemented the violent villain part of his legacy, but Shore was on the receiving end of a ton of horrible stuff. Nearly 1,000 stitches in his career, nose broken 14 times, jaw broken 5 times, and a crazy number of fractured bones. Being such a great player, teams were constantly trying to hurt him.

One of my favorite hockey books about one of my favorite hockey players. I really wish I could go back in time and see Shore play in-person. Such an incredible talent and interesting person.

jsteelek

Aug 21, 2023
The one book, written by Cherry that I have, had some pretty funny stories about his time in Springfield. Shore was, how shall I say, careful with the expenses.. those stories were some of the best material in the book.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
"Eddie Shore and That Old-Time Hockey," by Michael Hiam is an incredible book. Hiam doesn't just cover Shore's life, but a lot about the NHL back in that era as well. No doubt Shore could be a jerk of a human being as a player/coach/owner, but something I learned from the book about his violence as a player was that he didn't skate around looking to make violent plays, rather he got violent mainly when someone had wronged him or a teammate. So much violence in the NHL back then. Shore just happened to be extremely good at retribution.

I think the Ace Bailey incident pretty well cemented the violent villain part of his legacy, but Shore was on the receiving end of a ton of horrible stuff. Nearly 1,000 stitches in his career, nose broken 14 times, jaw broken 5 times, and a crazy number of fractured bones. Being such a great player, teams were constantly trying to hurt him.

One of my favorite hockey books about one of my favorite hockey players. I really wish I could go back in time and see Shore play in-person. Such an incredible talent and interesting person.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll seek it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad