Both great goalies. One was born in 39', the other in 76'

Total different eras, different styles.

Who is the better goalie?
Eddie Giacomin or Miikka Kiprusoff?

55209-542-83EG.jpg

92470675.jpg

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
A clear victory for Giacomin. Kipper's career isn't over yet and personally I don't think he'll have the accolades to match Eddie. Giacomin is a rare goalie in the HHOF who didn't win a Cup. I have my doubts that Kipper will as well so I have a hard time seeing him get in there.

Kipper:
1st team all-star (2006)
Vezina (2006)
Cup finals in '04

Giacomin:
First team all-star 1967, '71
Second team all-star '68, '69, '70
Cup finals in 1972

No contest so far. Kipper has had two elite years and that's pushing it. Giacomin was garnering all-stars when Hall, Worsley and Esposito were in the mix. Good competition. he was more combatative as well

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
A clear victory for Giacomin. Kipper's career isn't over yet and personally I don't think he'll have the accolades to match Eddie. Giacomin is a rare goalie in the HHOF who didn't win a Cup. I have my doubts that Kipper will as well so I have a hard time seeing him get in there.

Kipper:
1st team all-star (2006)
Vezina (2006)
Cup finals in '04

Giacomin:
Cup finals in 1972

No contest so far. Kipper has had two elite years and that's pushing it. Giacomin was garnering all-stars when Hall, Worsley and Esposito were in the mix. Good competition. he was more combatative as well

More like 3 elite seasons, Kipper would have won the vezina in 2004 if he played the full season. He was also 3rd in vezina voting in 2007, being 3rd best goalie is elite.

Kipper isn't even anywhere near done yet, and he's likely going to have another elite season this year, making it 4. Giacomin isnt exactly a playoff god, so I'm sure kipper can surpass his playoff resume too. Giacomin is one of the lesser goalies in the Hall.

DaneJohnsonLaw

I have to go with Eddie, although Kiprusoff won the Vezina with a lower GAA in a season of nearly twice as many games. Time will tell who ends up with the better stats, but Giacomin will always be a goaltending legend regardless.

Dane J

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Common Trait

Both Giacomin and Kiiprusoff had a common trait - tended to have games or string of games where they would simply fall apart, lose focus and technique. Giacomin had the benefit of a better back-up in Gilles Villemure.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex

Kipper:
1st team all-star (2006)
Vezina (2006)
Cup finals in '04

Giacomin:
Cup finals in 1972

you're missing Giacomin's co-Vezina. :)

Chased By Trolls

Generational Talent
Mar 18, 2002
Tampere, Finland
Visit site
you're missing Giacomin's co-Vezina. :)

Also missing Kipper's Jennings. The Vezina in Giacomin's days was of course the modern day equivalent of today's Jennings.

I wouldn't be able to tell you which one was more talented, but I think so far Kipper hasn't been able to match Giacomin's career accomplishments, so my vote goes to Eddie at this point.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
More like 3 elite seasons, Kipper would have won the vezina in 2004 if he played the full season. He was also 3rd in vezina voting in 2007, being 3rd best goalie is elite.

Kipper isn't even anywhere near done yet, and he's likely going to have another elite season this year, making it 4. Giacomin isnt exactly a playoff god, so I'm sure kipper can surpass his playoff resume too. Giacomin is one of the lesser goalies in the Hall.

Neither is Kipper. Both goalies led their team to the finals. Jean Ratelle was injured in the '72 playoffs so even the GAG line wasn't in full effect. Outside of that yes Giacomin isn't polished in the playoffs other than perhaps 1974. But while Kipper has the 2004 playoff run to his credit he has been dropped out of the first round 4 times in a row since then.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Giacomin was at Vezina-finalist level for 5 straight years and won 2 adjusted Vezinas.

Kiprusoff was at Vezina-finalist level for 3 straight years and won 1 Vezina.

Giacomin comes out ahead unless Kiprusoff comes up with another couple elite seasons, which seems unlikely at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad