Series Talk: ECSF: New York Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes (NYR Lead 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
The thing is the Caps needed him to be a 1st line C going PPG+ which he wont be any longer. While in Carolina he can be a depth piece which is where he is at this point. Playing for the Caps he played with less talent and get more focus from the other team. On Carolina he wont be one of the main guys other team focus. Hes like the 7th or 8th guy on Carolina (Aho, Svech, Guentzel, Jarvis, Necas and Teravainen are all better or around the same level). So it was a good move for both teams. He plays less minutes in Carolina and he is their top point producer 5v5 pr minuteand among the best in the league this playoffs.. So a perfect depth piece for them as he adds scoring down the lineuo.

Also Kuznetsov wanted a change of scenery for years and it showed so good for him to get a new chance somewhere else.
So similar to Kessell going to the Pens for the 16/17 runs?

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I noticed this myself. Canes fans don't head to the exit with 4 min left. Because we do that ridiculous chaos thing at the end of games where we only know how to score with a deadline. I'm not saying we are more passionate at all. I'm just saying that wile some will leave, you won't see a mass exodus with us 2 down and 4 or 5 min left.

Also the PNC is pretty easy to get in an out of with a nice big lot too, so there's that. But it as very noticable with a lot of time left.
As much as I loved making fun of Rangers fans flocking for the exit, Canes fan do it too. I was at the Sharks game last year where they scored early in the 3rd to take the lead and made it a 2 goal lead with less than a few minutes left on an empty netter. The exodus wasn't as bad as the Rags last night but it was a good amount.

My son looked at me and said "those idiots" and shook his head. He was right Aho scored and Nachos tied it with like 11 seconds left than won it in ot.

I dont gamble but I would have to wonder about the Rangers frame of mind if the Canes dominate them in game 6.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I feel like if they DO come back against the Rangers, (And I don't think they will) they will have the confidence to win the ECF.

I don't think the rangers have what it takes to beat FLA 5v5. It's something that would be interesting to see both series (Rangers V FL, Canes V FL) played in two different timelines to see the results. What an experiment that would be.
Confidence doesn't equal winning. I don't see either of these teams beating FL, IMHO

Just nice to have a decent series instead of a sweep.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
As much as I loved making fun of Rangers fans flocking for the exit, Canes fan do it too. I was at the Sharks game last year where they scored early in the 3rd to take the lead and made it a 2 goal lead with less than a few minutes left on an empty netter. The exodus wasn't as bad as the Rags last night but it was a good amount.

My son looked at me and said "those idiots" and shook his head. He was right Aho scored and Nachos tied it with like 11 seconds left than won it in ot.

I dont gamble but I would have to wonder about the Rangers frame of mind if the Canes dominate them in game 6.
The only game I left early was like the TB game where they scored 8 or whatever

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

I haven't ever done it, learned my lesson back in 2007. We were down 0-2 to the Leafs, total flop of a game. Fans are streaming out of the arena. But with 2 minutes left, they score. Then score again with about a minute left. Then they win it in OT. About a third of the crowd had already left.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

With the extra day off, I am expecting the Rangers to come out flying in the 1st in game 6. I would imagine the team is either pissed or disappointed. Maybe a combination of both but I suppose it depends on how the took the game 5 loss and how Lavi will have them respond.

Do the Canes respond with high energy to match and try to ride off their newfound momentum or do they look to play a more reserved game and control the play based on opportunity and strategy vs. emotion and energy.

How does Igor look after getting bested 2 games in a row? Will the Rangers big guns step up after poor showings all around in Game 5.

No shortage of questions and storylines here for game 6.

Reactions: Tryamw

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Weird how the talking heads are acting like the Canes winning 2 in a row is more impressive/meaningful than the Rangers winning 3 in a row.

Canes could still win, but Rangers still firmly in the driver's seat.
No one is discounting the Rangers winning 3 in a row and all analysis I've seen still reflects that NYR still has the edge here but the momentum has definitely shifted in the series and it's not just that Carolina won 2 games in a row, it's how they won the last game and how the Rangers looked. The Rangers might have been going into the 3rd period up 1-0 but they were thoroughly outplayed in every area and when the floodgates opened and Carolina scored 3 in about 6 minutes it was the first time in the series that either team had a convincing victory.

The Rangers were at home with a chance to close it out in game 5. They didn't do that and came out extremely flat. That's concerning, and eventhough they are up 3-2 and it wasn't a MUST win game for them and it was a must win game for the Canes... when you have the opportunity to end things early, especially at home, championship teams tend to do that.

I think that's what people are meaning when they are talking about the shift in the series. Being down 3-0, Carolina was down to it's last chance and they have fought back to make it a series and going home for game 6 it's not hard to think that this series can go the distance now.

Rangers are in the driver's seat based on having 2 cracks at getting it done but I don't think firmly would be the correct take there.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
With the extra day off, I am expecting the Rangers to come out flying in the 1st in game 6. I would imagine the team is either pissed or disappointed. Maybe a combination of both but I suppose it depends on how the took the game 5 loss and how Lavi will have them respond.

Do the Canes respond with high energy to match and try to ride off their newfound momentum or do they look to play a more reserved game and control the play based on opportunity and strategy vs. emotion and energy.

How does Igor look after getting bested 2 games in a row? Will the Rangers big guns step up after poor showings all around in Game 5.

No shortage of questions and storylines here for game 6.
Panarin will look to finish off the series as the last two games he was horrible. Lots of story lines this series

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Weird how the talking heads are acting like the Canes winning 2 in a row is more impressive/meaningful than the Rangers winning 3 in a row.

Canes could still win, but Rangers still firmly in the driver's seat.

Game 5 was literally the first game of the series that didn't feel like it could have gone either way. That's what people are reacting to, not the fact that Carolina has won 2 straight.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Both teams will be playing like this is a game 7. NYR got taught a valuable lesson last game. Will see to what extent they learned from it. This series goes 7 it becomes a complete toss-up. Very much looking forward to watching game 6.

Reactions: elmaco

StrmSurge

RBA sucks!
Mar 19, 2019
Walhalla, SC
I was there. I didn’t see anyone leave until after the empty net goal and they went down 4-1.

Also, New Yorkers who don’t live in the city have trains to catch. You miss one, and sometimes it’s an hour and a half until the next one at that time of night. It’s not a driving situation where you can leave at any time.
I concur. The cameras showed the fans heading to the exits after the empty netter from Necas. Regardless, it's still bad form to boo your team, especially when they are headed back on the road.

But I'm sure it was just a few thousand drunk idiots.

I don't doubt the Rags fans loyalty, is better than some of our fans who sell their tix like fair weather POS.

All I will say is no matter who wins game 6 and/or series, I hope the Ranger fans will at least have some class win or lose, and at least acknowledge we are a worthy foe.

God bless.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Panarin will look to finish off the series as the last two games he was horrible. Lots of story lines this series
Isn't that sort of his MO at this point? Fantastic regular season player that "seems" to take a step back in the playoffs? I say "seems" because I when he's not playing the Canes I don't watch him that closely and I'm looking at his stats.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Isn't that sort of his MO at this point? Fantastic regular season player that "seems" to take a step back in the playoffs? I say "seems" because I when he's not playing the Canes I don't watch him that closely and I'm looking at his stats.
yes, but some fans are thinking it may be different this time. Guy is too good to not turn the corner

DevilDog99

May 5, 2018
I concur. The cameras showed the fans heading to the exits after the empty netter from Necas. Regardless, it's still bad form to boo your team, especially when they are headed back on the road.

But I'm sure it was just a few thousand drunk idiots.

I don't doubt the Rags fans loyalty, is better than some of our fans who sell their tix like fair weather POS.

All I will say is no matter who wins game 6 and/or series, I hope the Ranger fans will at least have some class win or lose, and at least acknowledge we are a worthy foe.

God bless.
Rangers fan here. I think Carolina was our most formidable foe in the entire league.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I dunno if it's always been a full disappearing act but compared to regular season (and even accounting for the drop off in production that generally happens for 95% of players) he does seem to struggle in the playoffs.

I'd also say the fact that Trouba has 4 points and that's tied with Fox for most from the blueline is concerning. Especially considering that Trouba has one goal and Fox has 0. KAM has 1 goal and then that's it for the defence.

Laf, Trochek and Mika have generally been good. Panarin and Kreider I would say inconsistent to underwhelming. If those guys are scoring not sure where offense is coming from after that.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
No one is discounting the Rangers winning 3 in a row and all analysis I've seen still reflects that NYR still has the edge here but the momentum has definitely shifted in the series and it's not just that Carolina won 2 games in a row, it's how they won the last game and how the Rangers looked. The Rangers might have been going into the 3rd period up 1-0 but they were thoroughly outplayed in every area and when the floodgates opened and Carolina scored 3 in about 6 minutes it was the first time in the series that either team had a convincing victory.

The Rangers were at home with a chance to close it out in game 5. They didn't do that and came out extremely flat. That's concerning, and eventhough they are up 3-2 and it wasn't a MUST win game for them and it was a must win game for the Canes... when you have the opportunity to end things early, especially at home, championship teams tend to do that.

I think that's what people are meaning when they are talking about the shift in the series. Being down 3-0, Carolina was down to it's last chance and they have fought back to make it a series and going home for game 6 it's not hard to think that this series can go the distance now.

Rangers are in the driver's seat based on having 2 cracks at getting it done but I don't think firmly would be the correct take there.
Well, I guess Florida isn’t a championship quality team either.

These are 2 good teams battling every night. I expect the next game to be close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad