Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 6 - HIBERNATION BEGINS - Florida wins series 4-2

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
The last two deadlines alone Sweeney has traded away

A first rounder, a second, two 3rd rounders, a fourth rounder and a 6th.

With nothing to show for it. That's not sustainable.
Are you forgetting they went all in last year? That team should have rolled through the playoffs and hoisted a Cup. That's not on Sweeney, the players bombed.

Sweeney got Andrew Peeke for a 3rd...is there a problem with that? I'd take an established NHL player over a questionable future 3rd rounder any day of the week. Especially since we needed some grit for the playoffs which is exactly what Peeke brought. Not alot of value in a 3rd rounder with a terrible chance of making it. Less than 12%.... There should be zero complaining about this trade.

Traded a protected 1st (2024) for Bertuzzi. Don't remember a lot of complaints about this trade. It's going to be a low end 1st round pick in the end.

Traded 1st (2023), 2nd (2025) and 3rd (2024) rounder for basically Orlov and Hathaway. The 1st rounder was the 28th pick. Don't remember a lot of complaints about this either. Why? We went all in as every single person in these rooms wanted, Sweeney had a great trade deadline in 2023 and filled all the holes with those 3 players.

It's nice to toss shit at Sweeney and not use any context on what he did except state He GavE AwaY dRaFt PiCks. Like Sweeney just willy nilly traded picks away without any thought. Sweeney swung for homerun and considering how good that team was, there is very little excuse why we didn't win it all last year. Again, not on Sweeney, the players shit the bed.

I have said this for years, the NHL draft is not a hotbed of future NHLers. I just posted the success rate, it's 19% of all players will stick in the NHL. That's an awful percentage. NHL teams are built on trades, free agent pick ups, non drafted college players and finally development of draft picks.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Bob being Bob?

Or Bruins being Bruins?

Bob gave up 17 goals in 5 games with an .891 save %
You've got a point there

Yes but they needed to make the move to Swayman a lot sooner. Ullmark showed the year before and you through 4 games of last year's playoffs that he wasn't a playoff goalie.

For whatever reason that is. If they mov eto Swayman for game 6 they win that series and probably the cup.
Maybe. Sway's number were not that good either last year

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
You've got a point there

I know the counter argument is sometimes it’s not how many you make, but when you make them.

And a game 5 series saving breakaway save is pretty huge and doesn’t show up on conventional stat sheets.

But I think the bruins lost the series more than Bob won it

Reactions: Gordoff

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
Are you forgetting they went all in last year? That team should have rolled through the playoffs and hoisted a Cup. That's not on Sweeney, the players bombed.

Sweeney got Andrew Peeke for a 3rd...is there a problem with that? I'd take an established NHL player over a questionable future 3rd rounder any day of the week. Especially since we needed some grit for the playoffs which is exactly what Peeke brought. Not alot of value in a 3rd rounder with a terrible chance of making it. Less than 12%.... There should be zero complaining about this trade.

Traded a protected 1st (2024) for Bertuzzi. Don't remember a lot of complaints about this trade. It's going to be a low end 1st round pick in the end.

Traded 1st (2023), 2nd (2025) and 3rd (2024) rounder for basically Orlov and Hathaway. The 1st rounder was the 28th pick. Don't remember a lot of complaints about this either. Why? We went all in as every single person in these rooms wanted, Sweeney had a great trade deadline in 2023 and filled all the holes with those 3 players.

It's nice to toss shit at Sweeney and not us ine any context on what he did except state He GavE AwaY dRaFt PiCks. Like Sweeney just willy nilly traded picks away without any thought. Sweeney swung for homerun and considering how good that team was, there is very little excuse why we didn't win it all last year. Again, not on Sweeney, the players shit the bed.

I have said this for years, the NHL draft is not a hotbed of future NHLers. I just posted the success rate, it's 19% of all players will stick in the NHL. That's an awful percentage. NHL teams are built on trades, free agent pick ups, non drafted college players and finally development of draft picks.

Again. No one is blaming them for going all in.

Holding them accountable for going all in and still losing is what we need to be doing.

They failed..there has to be changes. Where do you suppose that happens?

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019

Holding them accountable for going all in and still losing is what we need to be doing.

You fire the GM. They ain't gonna do that. What is measuring stick for progress?

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
I know the counter argument is sometimes it’s not how many you make, but when you make them.

And a game 5 series saving breakaway save is pretty huge and doesn’t show up on conventional stat sheets.

But I think the bruins lost the series more than Bob won it
See you. IMO what I remember Bob coming in changed momentum (for no really understandable reason) and clutch save by Bob (Marchand one for example) and then some terrible goal like19 OT goal with lack of concentration. Swayman showed he can steel PO win and series.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Tkachuk celebrating at center ice as though Florida had won the Cup with time remaining can be added to the list as well. Motivation for retribution next season, although the NHL will likely scrutinize the Bruins heavily.

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
You fire the GM. They ain't gonna do that. What is measuring stick for progress?

Sweeney took over a team where he inherited a core that won a cup and had been to one just 2 years prior.

I'm sorry but he had a leg up with them coming off a bad year and 3 first round picks.

He had his shot. In order to get to the next step they need a new approach. To do that they need new blood in upper management across the board.

It's time for change. Why delay it. Just do it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Tkachuk celebrating at center ice as though Florida had won the Cup with time remaining can be added to the list as well. Motivation for retribution next season, although the NHL will likely scrutinize the Bruins heavily.
He’s hurt - watched him in quiet moments and couple of grimaces

I’m going to enjoy watching the Rangers smash the Panthers into pieces..
Yes agree here

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
You're looking to trade a guy who's in his prime and trending to end his career with 600 goals and who averages 36 goals per 82 playoff games. He's one of the best offensive players of his generation for a team. He's the type of player you build around and other teams wish they had on theirs.

Aside from McDavid and prime Crosby no one in this era are carrying this Bruins roster successfully, alone. Sweeney has work to do.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK

You can't have it both ways, dude. Celebrate going all in when it happened and than a year later put on your 20/20 hindsight vision glasses and complain he used draft picks for something you celebrated when it happened. Sweeney made the right moves in 2023. The players shit the bed along with some seriously questionable coaching errors on Monty.

BTW, I originally was pointing out that a 6th round pick had no value, which it doesn't. You are pulling me into a different conversation. You were gripping about the value of a 6th rd pick and using it on Maroon. I don't know too many GMs who wouldn't pull the trigger on a trade like that. Established player > future 6th rounder every time.

The reason for the acquisition of Maroon falls on freaking Lucic's shoulders. If Lucic didn't do what he did, we wouldn't be talking about how terrible Maroon is these days.

Personally, Monty needs to go. When I saw this team falling apart against the Laffs and some of the decisions Monty was making, it was all on him. That's not even bringing up the fact the Bruins broke the NHL playoff record with 8 TMM penalties in 13 games with 2 in one game.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Gordoff

Festy1986

Apr 23, 2018
You can't have it both ways, dude. Celebrate going all in when it happened and than a year later put on your 20/20 hindsight vision glasses and complain he used draft picks for something you celebrated when it happened. Sweeney made the right moves in 2023. The players shit the bed along with some seriously questionable coaching errors on Monty.

BTW, I originally was pointing out that a 6th round pick had no value, which it doesn't. You are pulling me into a different conversation. You were gripping about the value of a 6th rd pick and using it on Maroon. I don't know too many GMs who wouldn't pull the trigger on a trade like that. Established player > future 6th rounder every time.

The reason for the acquisition of Maroon falls on freaking Lucic's shoulders. If Lucic didn't do what he did, we wouldn't be talking about how terrible Maroon is these days.

Personally, Monty needs to go. When I saw this team falling apart against the Laffs and some of the decisions Monty was making, it was all on him. That's not even bringing up the fact the Bruins broke the NHL playoff record with 8 TMM penalties in 13 games with 2 in one game.

9 years is enough. It's time to move on. The last thing Sweeney should be allowed to do is hire another coach.

Reactions: capecodder

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
First regular season game next year we should be looking to get receipts on Bennett and Tkachuk, but you know Sweeney will just sign a couple soft Swedish centers and we'll just do a kumbaya at center ice instead.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

It's nice to toss shit at Sweeney and not use any context on what he did except state He GavE AwaY dRaFt PiCks. Like Sweeney just willy nilly traded picks away without any thought. Sweeney swung for homerun and considering how good that team was, there is very little excuse why we didn't win it all last year. Again, not on Sweeney, the players shit the bed.

19%

Didn’t realize that low

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
19%

Didn’t realize that low
Look back on the other page, I posted the percentages for the top three rounds. It's 63% for 1st rounders, 25% for 2nd rounders and less than 12% for 3rd rounders. It's 19% overall for all players in any round drafted to reach 200 games played. The research was measured by games played, with 200 minimum games played to be considered a successful player.

I know in the distant past I have been blasted around here for saying the NHL draft has a terrible success rate but it really does not have alot of success.This time I came with stats and numbers. (LOL) I think people see the NHL draft much like they do the NFL draft with value up and down the board and in low rounds but the NHL...notsomuch, eh. If you are not drafted in the top 3 rounds, chances are we will never see you. Of course there are always exceptions but that's anecdotal.

Defenseman and goalies are usually a project when you draft one, takes alot longer to make them a NHL player. Forwards, they usually know by age 21 to 23 if they will make it or stay in the AHL. It's why you see dman make their NHL debut at older ages. But overall, if you're not drafting a top 10 player, it's a crapshot for the most part.

Reactions: Gordoff and DKH

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
It was close but Swayman's cardinal sin leaving near post open cost us. He keep doing it again and again. Anyway, awesome playoffs for Swayman and he should be Bruins future goalie for years to come.
Swayman didn't see the shot

Some times we have to give the other team some credit (as much as we don't like to), but Forsling pounced like a cat on the rebound from Lundell's long, high, rising shot, and didn't waste any time wristing it between Wotherspoon's legs using him as a screen, which didn't allow Swayman to see the shot coming (otherwise he makes the save easily)

In a perfect world Swayman should've caught Lundell's long rising shot leaving no rebound, but it happened so fast and handcuffed him. (and that's why it's so important to get shots on net from anywhere and everywhere)......and Florida are very good at that

We cannot blame Swayman for last night's loss, because without his superb goaltending in these playoffs, they probably wouldn't have been playing in the 2nd round

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Look back on the other page, I posted the percentages for the top three rounds. It's 63% for 1st rounders, 25% for 2nd rounders and less than 12% for 3rd rounders. It's 19% overall for all players in any round drafted to reach 200 games played. The research was measured by games played, with 200 minimum games played to be considered a successful player.

I know in the distant past I have been blasted around here for saying the NHL draft has a terrible success rate but it really does not have alot of success.This time I came with stats and numbers. (LOL) I think people see the NHL draft much like they do the NFL draft with value up and down the board and in low rounds but the NHL...notsomuch, eh. If you are not drafted in the top 3 rounds, chances are we will never see you. Of course there are always exceptions but that's anecdotal.

Defenseman and goalies are usually a project when you draft one, takes alot longer to make them a NHL player. Forwards, they usually know by age 21 to 23 if they will make it or stay in the AHL. It's why you see dman make their NHL debut at older ages. But overall, if you're not drafting a top 10 player, it's a crapshot for the most part.
When the Patriots had their famous overtime drive against the Falcons they used 14 players on it and most were drafted after round three or undrafted

Amendola and Hogan weren’t drafted
Edelman went 7th I think
The other WR Malcom Mitchell and James White RB were both 4th I think

so yeh you are correct

Reactions: Gordoff and Barnum

frankiess

Jan 31, 2019
Sweeney took over a team where he inherited a core that won a cup and had been to one just 2 years prior.

I'm sorry but he had a leg up with them coming off a bad year and 3 first round picks.

He had his shot. In order to get to the next step they need a new approach. To do that they need new blood in upper management across the board.

It's time for change. Why delay it. Just do it.
Yes to all. Sweeney came out and deflected the press away from Montgomery concerning the Bennett punch. They're both staying.

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad